Permissions in an exported OAR

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Ilan Tochner

Re: Permissions in an exported OAR

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Good luck Isis,

I recommend you show these merchants the Kitely Market introduction video, it will give them context and help them feel more confident about allowing you to list your items in our marketplace.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaAkYvC5Pi0

And here it is embedded in the forums:

These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Serene Jewell
Isis Ophelia

Post by Isis Ophelia »

Thank you Ilan for the suggested video. Unfortunately it did not help, nothing helped. After asking twice the creator for his permission to export and waiting over 2 weeks for his response, he is not answering. No answer is also an answer. The only reaction that I think has to do with my request is his price increase of his last 2 released products on over 70%. I guess, he took a look to the MP and assumed that merchants selling exportables are making good money and decided that he could take more money for his products. It's sad, as I tought if any of the creators gives me export permission, it would be him, because he reacted very positiv to my request to use his material outside of SL. So no exportables possible for me. Instead of a management field I should have learned Graphic and Design lol
IDdesigns @ Kitely Marketplace http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2075571

You`d like to meet others inworld? Join the Meet & Chat Corner group and say hello
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

That's very unfortunate and short sighted of that creator. Increasing his prices while reducing the utility people get from buying his virtual items is probably not going to result in a positive effect on his bottom line.
Isis Ophelia

Post by Isis Ophelia »

After I had to buy a new PC and install again my standalone grid, I forgot to give to the master avatar the old UUID from my old PC installation. When I restored my old Inventory IAR my items had gotten the restrictive permissions I had given to my products in the old installation. This shows me that if customers would purchase exportable products from me and would then include them in an IAR they get exported for example from the Metropolis Grid or from their own standalone my products would keep the restrictive permissions I had given to them.

Also I Hyperteleported to a private grid to pick up an offered tool which the author said its full perms. I teleported back to Kitely and wanted to export it to my standalone. My standalone is not HG enable, have not had the time to read how to do this. So when I used SI to export what I had picked up, got a message telling me that the object is not transferable and it will be moved to the Lost & Found folder. Because the creator said it is full perms, I assumed it might be Kitely permissions. I then loged to the OSgrid and hyper-tp to the private grid again and back to the OSgrid. This time Stored Inventory told me that it had excluded 2 animations which were no transfer. So seems to me, even the OSgrid as an open grid will allow the export only if the items are full perms. To know this brings me (and probably other merchants using suppliers materials) closer in deciding to offer exportable goods.

Ilan, I recall to have read somewhere that it is possible to filter OARs export? Is it true? and if it is true, what are the cons and pros for Kitely, if any?

You`d like to meet others inworld? Join the Meet & Chat Corner group and say hello
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Isis,

Please see the section about filtering here: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... plemented/

And how it works in the patch we contributed to OpenSim a few years ago here: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... rmissions/ (that patch is now part of standard OpenSim and is used by several grids).

I don't understand the question about pros and cons for Kitely, please rephrase it.
Isis Ophelia

Post by Isis Ophelia »

I am sorry Ilan. My fault. It's that I have no experience with exporting/restoring OARs that contain items made by someone else. All my OARs have objects made and owned by myself. That's why I get confused and don't understand well the permissions thingy in OARs.

See what I do not understand is this:

In this thread talking about permissions you mentioned this: "So an item delivered to a Kitely avatar with no-transfer but with Export will be included in OAR files created from that avatar's worlds that include that item."
No Transfer, but Export = the item will be included in the customer OAR

But in Blog Oren says: "Export World is more restrictive than Copy World, because we require objects to have the Transfer permission as well (in addition to the Copy permission)."

No Transfer permission = no export of the customer OAR.
And this confuses me. Because I read it as would it be possible to restrict an item to not be exported in an OAR if I make it "no transfer" but Exportable. Would you tell me what I understand wrong please?

Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Isis,

The blog titled Copy World Respects Permissions was written almost two years before the one titled Export Permission Implemented. The first content filtering we implemented was based on existing inworld permissions (Copy/Transfer) while the later one we added in Kitely Market was an explicit Export permission separate from the inworld permissions.

Items bought from Kitely Market include the newer Export permission functionality while items that don't contain any components from Kitely Market still use the older Copy/Transfer filtering system.

That's how an item with the Export permission can be included in an OAR file even without having the Transfer permission.