Texture Degrade

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Caledonia Skytower

Texture Degrade

Post by Caledonia Skytower »

So I am curious why some textures I upload degrade over time and become fuzzy. Because the uploads are free (thank you) I simply upload them again - fresh - and keep going. But it is a serious concern that, as a builder, I am going to eventually have a bunch if fuzzy un-useable textures. Fortunately, this seems to be just on textures or textured items in Inventory. Objects actively rezzed seem to retain their textures just fine.

What am I missing?
Ilan Tochner

Re: Texture Degrade

Post by Ilan Tochner »

H Caledonia,

A texture quality shouldn't degrade unless you download it, edit the downloaded version and then upload the edited (and therefore recompressed) version of the texture to the server (recompressing textures that were previously compressed using a lossy file format, e.g. jpeg2000, can result in quality loss).

The next time this happens please try clearing your viewer cache and viewer inventory cache to see if the viewer renders the textures as expected after it has refetched them from our servers.
Caledonia Skytower

Ilan, it ended up being a viewer issue. Does not seem to occur in all viewers. And since textures uploads are free, it is only a little inconvenient.

The issue degrade was not around textures that had been downloaded and then uploaded again with a reduced resolution. The issue was around textures that had been previously uploaded. worked fine, and when pulled from inventory (the very same textures) days or weeks later, would rez fuzzy when applied to a new object.

Cache clearing did not solve the problem on the problematic viewer. Only a new upload of exactly the same texture file did.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for the update Caledonia.

With which viewer did you encounter this problem?
Caledonia Skytower

Cool VL all the time. Singularity some of the time. Firestorm never. Unfortunately, I cannot use Firestorm for regular operations, only for photography. Too many damn bells and whistles. It bogs my system down, and while people have said they think there are ways to pare it down - I have neither the time nor the patience to figure that out unless it is more user intuitive than it seems to be.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for the clarification Caledonia :-)