Permissions in an exported OAR

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Isis Ophelia

Permissions in an exported OAR

Post by Isis Ophelia »

I exported my IDdesigns region oar to upload it in Zandramas and open a store there. While setting products I noticed that some sell boxes were locked. Inspecting the box and its contents I found out the problem happened because the creator was Isis Ophelia.@grid.kitely.com:8002 and permissions for the Next Owner applied to my avatar in Zandramas (which has a different UUID than in Kitely).

I wonder what the reason can be. Because not all boxed products in the oar show this behaivor. Most of them were assigned to Isis Ophelia the region owner in Zandramas. They are running OS the latest stable 0.8 version.
These users thanked the author Isis Ophelia for the post:
Serene Jewell
IDdesigns @ Kitely Marketplace http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2075571

You`d like to meet others inworld? Join the Meet & Chat Corner group and say hello
Ilan Tochner

Re: Permissions in an exported OAR

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Isis,

The OAR file contains the information that exists in Kitely (you can open the OAR file manually and inspect the XML files it contains to verify this). When you loaded the OAR file into Zandramas OpenSim should have applied the permissions to the avatar that was designated during the loading. If it didn't then the default OAR load logic may have some bugs in OpenSim 0.8 which may or may not also exist in Kitely (we've made several proprietary changes to how we import OAR files - changes that AFAIK were not replicated in the regular OpenSim release).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Serene Jewell
Isis Ophelia

Post by Isis Ophelia »

That is possible the reason Ilan. But you know to have seen that products keep the permission for the next owner outside of Kitely, makes me hope that it might be possible for me to sell my products as exportable.
These users thanked the author Isis Ophelia for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineSerene Jewell

You`d like to meet others inworld? Join the Meet & Chat Corner group and say hello
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Isis,

The Kitely Market delivery system is a lot more advanced than the OAR export system. Using it to deliver items to avatars on third-party grids should not result in any unexpected permission issues. If you do encounter any permission problems with Kitely Market delivered items then let us know so we can investigate what caused them.
Serene Jewell
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

just fyi and imo, Isis...you will likely see a nice increase in your sales if you allow export on some...ppl here like that so when they save their oars here it will go with it, and ppl out in the Meta, such as myself, respect perms as desired.

It would take some getting the word out and some time you are doing this.

There are several folks who give content away but do not allow transfer because they want ppl to come to them to get the items. I respect all that personally and with Kitely stuff I buy I go a step further and put it in a Kitely folder I made, for extra insurance they won't get commingled with free stuff I have.

They all show the proper perms initiated here.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixSerene Jewell
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Isis Ophelia

Post by Isis Ophelia »

Thank you Ilan for the answer. I really can not tell how they imported my oar. Might be that the way they do it did not assigned all objects + scripts to my grid avatar. Interesting was for me though, that I saw for the 1st time how a product keeps the next owner permissions. This made me want to find out if delivered products keeps the next owner permissions. Thanks Ilan for answering my IM :)

I so agree with you Constance. The Kitely Marketplace its about selling exportable products. That makes it so attractive and you are right that I would increase my sales. But I want to make very sure that I am not doing anything wrong when I sell exportable items that contain 3rd party material which I bought as full perms.

Interesting for me was to realize that Kitely applies/forces to the delivered products the Next Owner permissions the merchant has given to the product. And in that case seems to me to be possible for me to sell exportables, because the permissions/licenses I have received from the 3rd party creators allow me to use the material outside of SL and say to not sell full permissions. That my product has to be either "no copy/transfer" or "copy/no transfer" and my products have already such permissions. So selling exportables as "no transfer" would be conform with the licenses I have received.

I dont have any control over the actions of the customers. Similar as would I sell a product in SL where I can not control if my products containing 3rd party material are copybotted. So I believe I could sell exportables. Am I maybe seeing this wrong? Helpful comments greatly appreciated.
These users thanked the author Isis Ophelia for the post (total 4):
Constance PeregrineDot MatrixDanko WhitfieldSerene Jewell

Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I would suggest picking a few to "test the waters". If you do some quickly you might also contact [or someone else do so] Maria Korolov of hypergridbusiness.com with some information and she might include it in the next monthly stats report she does around the 15th.

Ozwell has been noted there several times and I bet some of his sales have been because of that-)
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixSerene Jewell
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

I think you've got it right, Isis.

One other good point about enabling export on wearable items is that people can then wear them when they use the hypergrid. So if there's a party happening on another grid, and someone from Kitely wants to wear their favourite boots, say, they will be able to go dressed exactly as they would like to -- no scratching around in inventory for an alternative pair of boots to complete their outfit.

Then... if partygoers see the boots and think "Hmm, I would like a pair like that" -- it's a bit of free advertising for you!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Isis,

Kitely export controls depend on whether or not the items were originally bought from Kitely Market. See: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... plemented/

Items that were bought from Kitely Market with Export can be exported regardless of which other permissions they do or do not have. So an item delivered to a Kitely avatar with no-transfer but with Export will be included in OAR files created from that avatar's worlds that include that item.

This can allow the person to technically give that OAR file to other people thereby transferring a copy of the no-transfer content to someone else. Doing so is prohibited by the Proprietary Rights section of our TOS so in affect it would be a type of prohibited "copybotting". However, as third-party licenses were most likely written by authors that were unaware of the possibility of Export permissions, the prudent thing would be to contact the content creator, explain how our content control system works, and verify that his or her content may be sold with Export in our marketplace.
Serene Jewell
Isis Ophelia

Post by Isis Ophelia »

Even though I am not convinced that I should ask every creator for his permission (they give me their TOS and expect/trust that I will respect them. And I could give my TOS to my customers and expect/trust that they will respect them. Would they not, could be a case for a DMCA, same as the creators towards me)

But today I sent a notecard to a creator who I believe will say yes. I started with him, because I didnt want to be sad about the NOs. It was difficult to win them to allow the use outside of SL. So more difficult when most of the SL creators have no idea what an OAR is or that Opensim is not only as the osgrid, as many believe. I will see what happens. I cross myself the fingers.
These users thanked the author Isis Ophelia for the post:
Serene Jewell