Message Lag/ Undelivered "Instant" Messages.

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Ozwell Wayfarer

Re: Message Lag/ Undelivered "Instant" Messages.

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

All of them were from Kitely users I believe.

Dot and Zuza are correct, their messages were affected.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Was your IM inbox full? Did you receive more than 25 offline IMs when you finally got them?
Ozwell Wayfarer

No it was not. I would guesstimate that it was around 10-12 messages, but nowhere near 25.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Has anyone else reading this thread encountered a similar problem of offline IMs being delayed until they are delivered inworld?
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Has anyone else reading this thread encountered a similar problem of offline IMs being delayed until they are delivered inworld?
Yes, mostly problems replying to IMs offline - many delays there. That's throughout OS and SL, not just Kitely. The other specifically OS glitch is getting friendship requests over and over in IM, from Kitely as well as other grids.
Inworld IM's haven't ever been a completely reliable way of communicating if your recipient isn't inworld - better to find your person in Google+ or send an email, if you have the email address, and post an email address for you in your inworld profile so people can find you.

Ada
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

What do you mean by replying to IMs offline? Do you mean sending an email reply to the email notification you receive when you have an offline IM?

The reason you can get friendship requests repeatedly is that your response to them is sent unreliably from the viewer, which means that if the sim you are receiving them in is currently busy (e.g. shortly after the world has started or after people have teleported into it) then the reply from your viewer will not get registered with the simulator. As a result, the next time you login the friendship request, which the simulator thinks is answered, will be sent to your viewer again. To overcome this problem, try waiting a couple of minutes after logging in before accepting friend requests. A good place to do so in is the Kitely Welcome Center, which is optimized and thus rarely suffers from high load which can interfere with your reply being ignored due to the aforementioned reason.
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Has anyone else reading this thread encountered a similar problem of offline IMs being delayed until they are delivered inworld?
Yes, in fact this happened to me on Wednesday (although I've known this problem to happen for a long time in Kitely).

The pattern seems to be that person A sends an IM to person B who is in the process of teleporting. That IM will go to B's email, as will any others that A sends B for the rest of the session. B's messages, however, arrive normally in A's viewer. I was person B when this happened on Wednesday, and when I logged in later, at least some of the IMs arrived in my viewer.
These users thanked the author Handy Low for the post:
Dot Matrix
Handy Low
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

That's useful information, thank you Handy.
Ozwell Wayfarer

I have had delays like those described before but only for a short period of time. The thing I found strange was the length of time the IMs had been in limboland.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

We'll look into it and see if this is something we can fix in a reasonable amount of time.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Handy Low