The WIP show (works in progress), operating plan (WIP)

Tell us about external references to Kitely
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/ ... gress.html

To publicize the creatives of the Hypergrid, New Media Arts is sponsoring "The WIP show", a show in which people who are doing something creative on the Hypergrid can show and tell about their projects. This article outlines an operating plan for this show. The outline may be useful for planing other, similar projects. Feel free to use it.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerGraham MillsAda Radius
Serene Jewell

Re: The WIP show (works in progress), operating plan (WIP)

Post by Serene Jewell »

The first Hypergrid WIP Show will be on Friday, May 1 at Noon Pacific time!

Please come and take a few minutes to show us something you have built or are working on. This is all about community and sharing. And inspiration. And support. And fun!

This is basically a "show and tell" format. You will rez your object and then can say a few words about it. Tell us what inspired you or how you built it or maybe what you plan to do with it. The audience will probably ask a few questions. The time allotted to each presenter will depend on how many people show up, but you don't have to use all your time. The show will last one hour.

Email serenejewell@gmail.com if you will be presenting on May 1.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerSelby EvansGraham Mills
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Is anything known about the size of the presentation space? This may affect the size of object that would fit or work well.
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

Good question. We'll be at the Hobo Sandbox in Cookie II. It's pretty darn big. You could rez a big house there, but maybe not a castle. :D Oh, and objects would have to be less than 30,000 prims.

I hope this question means you're planning to present, Graham.
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Graham Mills wrote:Is anything known about the size of the presentation space? This may affect the size of object that would fit or work well.
The corner coordinates of the presentation space are
0, 512 to 143, 364

Firestorm indicates the prims available to be 14,999. But trying to rez an object that complex with a crowd present would probably crash the simulator.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

OK, so the idea is that people rez (or pre-rez?) objects and folk walk round between the different builds? Or they stay in one spot and rez/derez when it's their turn? Either is good for me though I'm guessing the latter.

I have cross-posted to the opensim-edu list.
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Graham Mills wrote:OK, so the idea is that people rez (or pre-rez?) objects and folk walk round between the different builds? Or they stay in one spot and rez/derez when it's their turn? Either is good for me though I'm guessing the latter.

I have cross-posted to the opensim-edu list.
I think the plan will be for people to be seated (seated avatars cause less lag). Objects to be presented would be rezzed at the time of presentation. The presenter would talk about the objects and perhaps demonstrate. There would be Q&A about the object. Then the presenter would either take the objects into inventory or move them to a holding area. The objects can remain on the Hobo Sandbox for at least a few days, so people could come by to examine and perhaps try out the object if that is possible. There should be a description notecard with the object; that could be revised to answer new questions. The presenter could hold a follow-up session if people were interested.
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

The location of the Hobo Sandbox, where the Hypergrid WIP will be held, is
Firestorm Hop:
hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Cookie II/130/365/22
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Here are some more things I should have told presenters

Advice to presenters

If you did not build in Kitely, be sure all objects (including contents) will rez in Kitely. Remember that you the assets in your home grid are not available in Kitely unless you bring them. Normally, if you bring an object in your suitcase, it will carry its texures and contents. But I recommend that you check.

You probably want to bring a notecard giver. Don't expect that embedded assets in the notecard can be retrieved in a grid other than on the grid where they were embedded. Use an all-contents giver and put the other stuff in the contents

Scripts should work fine in another grid unless they use a UUID to call an asset.

If you need early rez power in the Hobo Sandbox, ask Serene. You are welcome to come to the Sandbox and check your stuff. Or come to the sandbox and build it if you want

We ask that you make things phantom as far as you possibly can.

We will have seats and ask that you sit in them. Seated avatars You can roam and zoom your camera to see what ever you want.
http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/ ... d-tag.html