OAR for every single region in a world of 4 ??

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Adelina Triellis
Been thanked: 0

OAR for every single region in a world of 4 ??

Post by Adelina Triellis »

Hi, I own a world with 4 regions. Can I upload a OAR for every single region? The first region I did already and it works fine. When I upload the next would it work and not destroy the other? Yes, I disabled Advanced Megaregion mode.

sorry, wrong subjekt :oops:
Ilan Tochner

Re: OAR for every single region in a world of 4 ??

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Adelina,

You can find instructions for how to get the content of multiple separate OAR files into a single world here:

http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6
http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=737
Adelina Triellis
Been thanked: 0

Post by Adelina Triellis »

Thank you :)
Serenity Sinclaire

Post by Serenity Sinclaire »

So are the actual instructions for how to accomplish this top secret or is there a step by step way to go about it that doesn't involve paying someone? No offense to Dot for her offer to do it but open sim and open source kind of go hand in hand...and there should be instructions for how to do everything Open Sim.

I'm still irritated at the scripters handling requests or questions like they're dealing with top secret information. It's gotten me annoyed sufficiently that I'm learning what I can and then I'm making it all available for free to show it's not top secret. But so much for "community"...seems to me there's the select few around here that only help each other and hell with everyone else. I've asked about a number of things and get minimal response from about 2 or 3 kind hearted sorts. Then the "in crowd" asks for stuff and the threads are 15 pages long full of help. I mean, seriously.

Anyway, are there instructions on this or are we just at the mercy of whoever you favor to hire?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Serenity,

Really no need to get upset (you can catch more flies with honey... :-)). I try to answer all the questions that haven't been answered yet and other people focus on whatever threads they find interesting.

In any case, Dot wrote the following tutorial for merging OAR files on the Devokan Trust forums: http://forum.devokan.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=262

(I found it by searching Google for "how to merge oar files").
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Dot Matrix
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

On the Devokan Trust forums, there is a subsection How to... > OpenSim.

Instructions for various actions are there, including creating megaregion OARs and layered builds (which is the subject of the post Ilan referred to, but the principle is much the same). I try to document processes as I go along, but sometimes forget to go back to update them.

Most processes require patience, a certain amount of research on the OpenSimulator wiki, thinking things through as you go along, paying attention to detail, and some experimentation. Not everyone wants to do that, hence the OAR services offered for KC.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerGraham MillsSelby Evans
Serenity Sinclaire

I wasn't upset :) But it is frustrating. I miss my worlds but first world has taken priority (former husband committed suicide in August, we're still in the spin) but I steal a little time now and then to just escape and return to more pleasant indulgences...until I log into my world and can't do anything. Can't sit without going sideways. Can't world explore because if there's anything there but trees, I can't even move. Can't do a lot of the things I want to do - that were commonplace in SL. I wish the devs working on the viewers and the worlds would bring about the basic common things we're used to - without the house payment price tag.

That's not a ploy for sympathy by the way just an explanation. I am more irritated than usual lately, short on patience, nobody's fault here at all and I'm not griping at anyone here, but the gripe stands in general whether I'm irritated on peachy chipper...I *have* asked many times in 3 years for various things and apparently all my requests get completely ignored while the little clique shares within each other generously. That's fine, go for it but it makes me less inspired to "do business" with people who are that way and by "do business" I mean spend my money. I spent thousands in SL, I've paid for services and bought a lot of stuff but usually after they show themselves to be kind decent helpful people. I'm one of the few who donated to Linda Kellie just because she made all her great stuff for free.

So no worries. I have searched and I find scant information and eventually I'll learn what I want to know the hard way. Then I'll make it available free for the masses, and if it shorts out people trying to sell it, oh well. All I can do is *ask* right :)

All good :)
Last edited by Serenity Sinclaire on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serenity Sinclaire

Dot Matrix wrote:On the Devokan Trust forums, there is a subsection How to... > OpenSim.

Instructions for various actions are there, including creating megaregion OARs and layered builds (which is the subject of the post Ilan referred to, but the principle is much the same). I try to document processes as I go along, but sometimes forget to go back to update them.

Most processes require patience, a certain amount of research on the OpenSimulator wiki, thinking things through as you go along, paying attention to detail, and some experimentation. Not everyone wants to do that, hence the OAR services offered for KC.

Dot, that wasn't a shot at you by any stretch of the imagination. You, Graham, Minethere in particular have always been helpful and offered suggestions, which I appreciate and makes me more willing to purchase/buy/hire when it comes up. But I wasn't looking for it in this instance. I was looking to see if it's even doable - I thought it wasn't, actually - to have an OAR for each region of the 2x2 or more world and the thread sounded promising until Ilan suggested 2 links, one of which basically sent business to you to do it, which is perfectly awesome but not what *I* was looking for. I was looking for the DIY option.

That said, if it turns out to be more convoluted than not I'd gladly pay you do handle it for me if you want the gig.

My gripe is that these basic immersive experience elements that should be free in an open source environment get hijacked by people who either hoard it like it's top secret and don't want to share, or jump into capitalizing on it. Both are okay in and of themselves but it's irritating after awhile when just doing basic stuff ends with a price tag.

It wasn't against you at all, no offense intended. Seriously.
These users thanked the author Serenity Sinclaire for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Serenity,

As you may know, we (Kitely) are part of the OpenSim core development group and have made both significant code contributions to OpenSim and contributed money to various OpenSim projects. Our track record in the forums also shows that we are patient and try to help the people who use our forums even when they aren't our paying customers and aren't likely to become ones.

That said, we do not believe that the fact that OpenSim is open-source software means that everyone that uses it has to share everything for free. Most websites nowadays use open-source web server software (e.g. Apache) and are built on open-source platforms (e.g. Wordpress) utilizing many other open-source components (e.g. Linux, PHP, MySQL, etc.). I assume you don't expect all the people who use the Internet to share in the open-source philosophy, so why do you expect things to be different with the people who use OpenSim?

I think that the comments people have written in reply to new users indicate that the people who are active in the Kitely forums embrace new users, are helpful to one another and are often very generous with their help. That doesn't preclude those (and other) people from having the legitimate desire to sell goods or services here. The fact that Kitely uses a lot of open source software should be none of their concern, just as writers who sell their ebooks on Amazon shouldn't care that Amazon is also built on open source software. The same can be said for almost all the people selling something on any website on the Internet.

As you may also know, we have a VERY long list of requests on our todo list and we constantly prioritize what we work on based on what we believe makes the most sense for our business. If we address some things before others it is because we believe that they are more important to the success of our company. In other words, we contribute to OpenSim, we listen to our customers and we try to foster a supportive user community but we're here to run a profitable business. You shouldn't expect otherwise.
Serenity Sinclaire

Ilan, you of all people shouldn't waste any time defending yourself to me, there's no need. I know first hand how regularly you bend over backwards to help, you're awesome. That's why in spite of my general irritations I stick it out with Kitely. Though we're moving again so temporarily I reverted to the free plan for about 30 days - just because I don't want paypal auto billing me right now. Just in case you were concerned it was me being pissy, it's not at all. Just a coincidental timing thing. I'm not mad, seriously. Just gotta work it out :)

All good. I'm still a Kitely fan girl.