Uploading varregion OAR breaks terrain & object coordinates

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Cider Jack

Uploading varregion OAR breaks terrain & object coordinates

Post by Cider Jack »

I have a 512^2 varregion that I have saved as an oar, with landscaped terrain & objects throughout the whole sim. I have extensively tested saving it & loading it locally, and everything seems to work as it should.

However, when uploading to my Kitely world, only the terrain for the 'root' 256^2 region loads, the rest of it loads the default flat terrain, although the objects all load where they should. Further to this, when trying to move those objects that are beyond 256 meters by editing the coordinate numbers directly, it changes to 256 and won't go any higher. I can manually drag objects further out, but not edit the coordinates to anything higher than 256.

So, 2 questions:
1. Is there a step I am unaware of that I need to do when saving the original oar that will make it keep all of the terrain? For example I've tried both with & without using the --all switch, and both seem to work locally, although neither seems to work in Kitely.
2. Same question, except as applied to objects.
These users thanked the author Cider Jack for the post:
Selby Evans
Ilan Tochner

Re: Uploading varregion OAR breaks terrain & object coordina

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Cider,

Which world are you trying to import this into?

Is that world a 2x2 world?

Does it have Advanced Megaregion mode switched on (in the Advanced tab of the Manage World dialog)?
Cider Jack

Post by Cider Jack »

Which world are you trying to import this into?
The world would be KJS Emporium (using the KatiJack Studio account).
Is that world a 2x2 world?
Does it have Advanced Megaregion mode switched on (in the Advanced tab of the Manage World dialog)?
Yes to both.

Just tried again with no success.
These users thanked the author Cider Jack for the post:
Selby Evans
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Try switching from varregion mode to megaregion mode in your local setup before creating the OAR file then using that to upload into Kitely.
Cider Jack

Post by Cider Jack »

Been there, done that. :)

I originally tried uploading as a megaregion, and the terrain loaded fine with that. However all objects not in the root 256^2 were phantom and basically non-existent -- when selecting them, no data showed in the build window & I wasn't able to manipulate them. So megaregion didn't work. (here's that conversation: http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble. ... 82196.html)

Researching that issue, I read that megaregions have basically been deprecated in favor of varregion (as of last June: http://metaverseink.com/blog/?p=552), so I have now gone with varregion, which also gives me better results when working on my local vanilla OpenSim install.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Cider,

Kitely has Advanced Megaregions which resolve almost all the issues that exist with regular OpenSim megaregions. They also work with ODE physics which is still what we recommend people use as BulletSim is not all there quite yet. You can switch between physics engines in the Advanced tab of the Manage World dialog, see: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... ed-search/

Have you tried turning off varregions and megaregions in SOAS before creating a multi-region OAR file and then uploading that OAR file into Kitely?
Cider Jack

Post by Cider Jack »

Sorry Ilan, I don't think I understand what you mean? I can disable megaregions by disabling 'CombineContiguousRegions' (or setting to 'false') in the OpenSim.ini file, but I don't understand how to 'disable' varregion... I thought it was just 'enabled' only by creating a single region in Regions.ini & setting 'SizeX' & 'SizeY' to 512 (or 768 or 1024 etc.). I set up the varregion following the instructions on these two pages:
http://metaverseink.com/blog/?p=552
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Varregion

If I'm doing this right, what you're suggesting is just making four normal 256^2 regions and then using the --all switch when saving the oar with the SW region selected in the console?
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Cider Jack wrote:If I'm doing this right, what you're suggesting is just making four normal 256^2 regions and then using the --all switch when saving the oar with the SW region selected in the console?
This is the method I use when preparing OARs for import into Kitely megaregions. It seems to produce the most reliable results.

I'm only just starting to experiment with varregions on a mini-grid. To be honest, I'm not too happy with the results so far, in that for my particular purposes what gets broken outweighs what gets fixed.
Cider Jack

Post by Cider Jack »

Hi Dot - No luck with that either.

Set my local OS back to 4 individual regions, and saved (with 'root' as selected region) using the --all switch.

Uploaded to my Kitely world (w/ Advanced Megaregions checked) and only the root region loads. The other three are all default empty flat terrain.

So far what I've tried:
megaregion - broken
varregion - broken
4 separate regions in a single oar - broken

There has got to be something I'm doing or not doing that I need to either stop doing or do. But what!?
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Which version of SoaS are you using?