Parcel settings and sounds

Tips and discussions about using OpenSim
Ada Radius

Parcel settings and sounds

Post by Ada Radius »

Is there a way to restrict sounds by parcel in OS? When I click the box in parcel settings, all sounds stop, even if my av is standing right next to the thing. I want to do a little subdividing in the Arcadia Asylum library and display on Cookie II so that I can get the Arcade machines to only be heard when we're actually near the shop, and not 100m away. Or some other solution? I've already turned everything down to the minimum in the sound loop script.
Ada
Ilan Tochner

Re: Parcel settings and sounds

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

You should be able to use Media URLs per parcel, see: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Engl ... ection_.10
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

I guess Ada is talking about scripted sounds rather than parcel media. I've noticed something similar on my regions, where scripted sounds can be heard a long way away from their supposed source. I'm not sure what to do about it though.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Are you using the option to "Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel"?
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Are you using the option to "Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel"?
I want to, but when it's checked, no sound at all.
Ada
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Dot Matrix wrote:I guess Ada is talking about scripted sounds rather than parcel media. I've noticed something similar on my regions, where scripted sounds can be heard a long way away from their supposed source. I'm not sure what to do about it though.
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I'm talking about scripted sounds. If the parcel setting to restrict sounds is checked, no sounds at all. If unchecked, I can hear them a lot farther away than I should.
There are a lot of them in Arcadia/Aley builds, that we (a group around the metaverse loosely organized at the google group "Arcadia All Around) are exporting from SL and importing to OS. Everything from opening and closing doors to jet engines to the grunged video arcade games.
I have the falloff in Firestorm preferences at the default, which is 30M. I want some of them restricted to a parcel, such as the arcade sounds, which would realistically be heard only in the building, or maybe just outside it.
Ada
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Have you made sure to set your avatar's maturity rating to be higher than that of the region? (I'm assuming you have as you can hear sounds if they are not restricted to a parcel)

Is this an Advanced Megaregion world?
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

possibility...

There have been issues with this type of problem throughout the Meta.

When you check the "Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel" sometimes you need to walk outside the parcel and walk back in for it to work, or, alternatively, TP to some other region and back, or another alternative, relog back to the parcel once the setting is made.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 3):
Carlos LoffDot MatrixAda Radius
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Roswenthe Blackwell

Post by Roswenthe Blackwell »

Constance Peregrine wrote:possibility...

When you check the "Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel" sometimes you need to walk outside the parcel and walk back in for it to work, or, alternatively, TP to some other region and back, or another alternative, relog back to the parcel once the setting is made.
So, really it only affects the initial settings, then works from that point onward? Helpful to know.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Roswenthe Blackwell wrote:
Constance Peregrine wrote:possibility...

So, really it only affects the initial settings, then works from that point onward? Helpful to know.
I don't really know if that is this particular issue, it is just something I had encountered often...perhaps someone can report if it solves the problem, or not.

If it is still an issue it would be nice if someone fixed it-)
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...