Hypergrid problems, is this normal?

Tips and discussions about using OpenSim
Kayaker Magic

Hypergrid problems, is this normal?

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I have a booth at the Open Simulator Community Conference next week!
So I'm running back and forth, carrying a lot of stuff in my Suitcase folder, and running into a lot of little problems. Are these normal?

I have carried scripted objects with me to other grids and seen them work, but when I hypergrid to the conference grid, the scripts never make it. If I try to read the scripts, I get a message "the script is not in the database". Sometimes the script never loads, other times I can view it but not recompile or reset it. In the latter case I can copy the script, paste it into a new script, and it will work. In the former case, I have to find a backup of the script on my hard drive and paste that into a new script.

Occasionally I bring an object to the conference grid and it appears to be corrupted, with things like "Prim type ______________". These objects never rez properly. Is this an expected error, just loosing a few bits in transit?

If I hit the "Teleport Home" button while I am on another grid, it takes me to the Kitely Visitors Center. I don't think I have ever set a home position, since the Kitely World pages usually take me to a different place every time. Is it reasonable to use the Home button to return?

I ask because I often come back in a strange state. Sometimes all my inventory is still marked as (unavailable) even though I am back in Kitely. Sometimes everything is just fine. Sometimes everything looks fine, but I am unable to rez anything out of inventory. Re-logging always fixes this. Is this just another expected error when hypergridding around?
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post:
Selby Evans
Constance Peregrine

Re: Hypergrid problems, is this normal?

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Hi Kay-)

I have noticed that "unavailable" inventory thing lately when I hg to kitely from metro and back. Wish I had answers but some awful smart people here who I bet might. I just relog as you note as all sorts of weird things happen so I take it in stride...lol
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kayaker,

The OpenSim Community Conference grid is using a different version of OpenSim, which is currently under heavy development in preparation for the conference. It is not unlikely that some of the changes they've made are causing the problems you've encountered. If you have sim-on-a-stick you can test to see if these problems also happen when you teleport from a locally run simulator. If they do, I'd recommend you file a mantis report to let the OpenSim dev team know about these issues (they may not be aware of them). If it works properly when you use sim-on-a-stick then please let us know what OpenSim version you're using.

As OSgrid has been down for more than 2 months, Metropolis is currently under very heavy load which can explain access problems to and from that grid.

The teleport home button is a viewer side feature that saves a location and teleports to it when the button is pressed. You can set it to any location you want. If that location is a Kitely World that is currently offline then you'll be routed through a Kitely Transfer Station.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

I hypergrid a lot with the Metaverse Tours, I have noticed that I have problems with inventory if I do not wait on Kitely until my complete inventory is loaded before I head out to other grids. Since I have a big inventory, that can take several minutes. I've been cleaning out inventory as a result. I also notice less sluggishness when I clean out the "My Suitcase" folder. I now habitually move things out of My Suitcase that I have picked up when hypergridding.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineSelby EvansRoswenthe Blackwell
Frans Lupschen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Frans Lupschen »

Hello all,

First i used opensim v 8.0 and all my hypergates worked just fine, i upgraded to opensim 8.0.3 if i click now on a hypergate it shows me empty blocks, so i can't go nowhere maybe i overlooked something, grid works and opensim works, however i noticed this, my partner on another server (connected to my grid) was not able to teleport to her regions. After i looked in the log i saw "remote doesn't support compression" after she also installed 8.0.3 she could teleport again but Hypergrid is not working, you can click and choose Hypergrids then it shows busy grids etc .. if you click on one its empty furthermore some texture are just white. The Simulator in general is faster but seen all these issues its not good to use it i guess and if it uses compression (ZLIB i assume) other simulators like 8.0 can't connect to my grid.
Anyone any idea?

All the best,
Frans.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

You might want to ask this question on the opensim-users list http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailma ... nsim-users

Best wishes

Graham
Frans Lupschen wrote:Hello all,

First i used opensim v 8.0 and all my hypergates worked just fine, i upgraded to opensim 8.0.3 if i click now on a hypergate it shows me empty blocks, so i can't go nowhere maybe i overlooked something, grid works and opensim works, however i noticed this, my partner on another server (connected to my grid) was not able to teleport to her regions. After i looked in the log i saw "remote doesn't support compression" after she also installed 8.0.3 she could teleport again but Hypergrid is not working, you can click and choose Hypergrids then it shows busy grids etc .. if you click on one its empty furthermore some texture are just white. The Simulator in general is faster but seen all these issues its not good to use it i guess and if it uses compression (ZLIB i assume) other simulators like 8.0 can't connect to my grid.
Anyone any idea?

All the best,
Frans.