Build>Undo bug on linksets

Tips and discussions about using OpenSim
Mike Lorrey

Build>Undo bug on linksets

Post by Mike Lorrey »

So I have this two prim linkset I'm trying to copypaste around my build since the two items are meshes that I've just updated with optimized versions, and have found an interesting bug. I copypasted the new coordinates of the linkset without shift dragging a copy of it first to transform to that location, and tried to use Build > undo to return it to its original position so I could shift drag copy it. Lo and behold, the undo function only returns the ROOT prim to its original position. The child prim stays in its new position! Thinking this might have been a fluke, I repeated the process, and now the child prim is twice as far out of whack! This is an interesting oversight in opensim building tools!
Ilan Tochner

Re: Build>Undo bug on linksets

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Mike,

On which viewers (and versions) have you reproduced this problem?
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Mike,

Firestorm 5.0.1 (52150) Dec 10 2016 14:44:37 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support. I will log in with the prior version of firestorm and see what happens.

... does some stuff...

Okay "Firestorm 4.7.9 (50527) Aug 4 2016 11:59:10 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support" also exhibits this bug. I will post pictures once I convert them from screenshots to something within the size limits for this forum.
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Mike Lorrey wrote:
Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Mike,

Firestorm 5.0.1 (52150) Dec 10 2016 14:44:37 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support. I will log in with the prior version of firestorm and see what happens.

... does some stuff...

Okay "Firestorm 4.7.9 (50527) Aug 4 2016 11:59:10 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support" also exhibits this bug. I will post pictures once I convert them from screenshots to something within the size limits for this forum.
I also just reproduced this bug with Singularity Viewer (64 bit) 1.8.7 (6861) Jun 16 2016 00:32:38 (Singularity). So it looks like this is likely not a viewer side issue.
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post:
Selby Evans
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Step 1
Step 1: Select linkset to be moved.
Step 1: Select linkset to be moved.
Step 2
Select prim that has location to be moved to. Copy position from the C button on the edit dialog prim position.
Select prim that has location to be moved to. Copy position from the C button on the edit dialog prim position.
Step 3:
Paste copied prim position vector to the linkset to be moved. Linkset moves into new position.
Paste copied prim position vector to the linkset to be moved. Linkset moves into new position.
Step 4:
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Step 4:
Go to Edit or Build menu, depending on your viewer, and select "Undo".
Go to Edit or Build menu, depending on your viewer, and select "Undo".
Step 5:
Observe the result, only the root prim of the two prim linkset returns to its original location. The child prim remains where it was moved to.
Observe the result, only the root prim of the two prim linkset returns to its original location. The child prim remains where it was moved to.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

AFAIK the undo functionality is a viewer side feature so a problem with it on multiple viewers doesn't necessarily mean it's not a viewer issue, it could easily be a bug that is shared between all OpenSim-compatible viewers.
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Undo in all the viewers has been a scary button to push for a long time.
It is often greyed out and can't undo many operations.
And it has a history of undoing things to the other side of a region and loosing them for you.
I usually push undo with great trepidation.
I am afraid to push undo in a var region.
I think this is an old old bug in the viewers, submit your bug report to SL or the FireStorm team.
Chic Aeon
Has thanked: 0

Post by Chic Aeon »

Ilan Tochner wrote:AFAIK the undo functionality is a viewer side feature so a problem with it on multiple viewers doesn't necessarily mean it's not a viewer issue, it could easily be a bug that is shared between all OpenSim-compatible viewers.

Someone posted this on Google Plus. FYI for folks that don't know UNDO has never (well at least a couple of year) worked as it should. I learned to avoid it at all costs when building in Opensim. Not a Kitely issue. Might be a "bullet" issue as I believe I have only worked on bullet sims.

That's all I know *wink*
These users thanked the author Chic Aeon for the post:
Selby Evans
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

I understand all this, but these excuses, and thats what these responses are, sound like the sort of "we've always done it this way" bs that infects certain companies that rhyme with Blinding Blab.