osForceDropAttachment not available

Tips and discussions about using OpenSim
Ilan Tochner

Re: osForceDropAttachment not available

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I'm sorry Ramesh, I thought I was clear before. We consider osForceDropAttachment to be an ill-conceived function that is too risky to enable in Kitely.
Ramesh Ramloll

Post by Ramesh Ramloll »

Yes you are right, you were pretty clear about the statement and expressed it multiple times. You explained why it was risky pointing the hair attachment example. And for me, as a games/simulations designer, finding out repeatedly that having all activities in a virtual world, especially those of casual users, force channeled through an 'inventory' hurts usability tremendously, increases learning curve, delays engagement, breaks game mechanics ... all those core requirements have to be sacrificed because temporary attachments and functions written to enable this functionality, according to you, are unsafe. Ok cool, this summary satisfies me quite well.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Our problem isn't with temporary attachments per say but rather with those that shouldn't be temporary from people's perspective. People are used to having items that are in their inventory remain inside their inventory until they decide to manually give or discard them.

Temporary attachments that programmatically attach using a script command that is designed for temporary attachment are okay because the receiving person never actually ownes the object. Using such scripts can't result in a loss of property from the user's perspective as the user never had those attachments in his or her possession in the first place. This type of functionality could be scripted using llAttachToAvatarTemp once this LSL function is implemented in OpenSim.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Dundridge DreadlowJack Spade