Terrain Maps and Textures

Tips and discussions about using OpenSim
Sammie Smit
Has thanked: 0

Re: Terrain Maps and Textures

Post by Sammie Smit »

That did work, and lead me to figure out what was wrong with my file. Thank you.
Paiyo DeYew

Post by Paiyo DeYew »

I get the same error every time I try. I have made sure nothing else is running and it still happens. The only time I can get it to work is if I download my RAW file and then reload/upload it. By the way I use L3DT.

What did you find out about what was wrong?

Thank.
Tully McLeod

Post by Tully McLeod »

I've been experiencing the same problem with files created in L3DT and never have been able to get them working properly. I've tried variations of RAW and R32 with many different settings but always get that same error.

What I finally did as a workaround is generate the file as an R32 in L3DT, then upload it via the console to OpenSim using Sim-on-a-Stick. Once uploaded I can download it as a raw from OpenSim then upload to Kitely and it seems to work fine.

Kind of a pain, but workable.
Ruby O'Degee

Post by Ruby O'Degee »

Tully McLeod wrote:I've been experiencing the same problem with files created in L3DT and never have been able to get them working properly. I've tried variations of RAW and R32 with many different settings but always get that same error.

What I finally did as a workaround is generate the file as an R32 in L3DT, then upload it via the console to OpenSim using Sim-on-a-Stick. Once uploaded I can download it as a raw from OpenSim then upload to Kitely and it seems to work fine.

Kind of a pain, but workable.
Is this still the only way we can upload an L3DT terrain (raw or r32) into a Kitely build? This is now two years later no still no go? Frustrating. it used to work fine, because I used a raw file generated by L3DT for the Picture Book Build. It appears as though this thread simply ended here with no solution? :?

Edit: Oh well, never mind. I will do the workaround and oar it in (most likely the way everyone else handled the matter).
"I am aiming for fantastic believability. You get enough realism. Add something with character, with style, make something that 's better than reality [fiction/non-fiction]." Jeremy Vickery (Pixar)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

If it works in sim-on-a-stick running OpenSim 0.8.x then it should work in Kitely as well. We haven't done anything to change that behavior. One thing worth noting is that you have to disable Advanced Megaregion mode before uploading terrain files into worlds that are bigger than 1 region in size (you should re-enable Advanced Megaregion mode once you finish changing the terrain).
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

We weren't gonna announce just yet... but...

Seanchai Library has just opened a mall... yeah, yeah.. another Mall!
It is based on Linda Kellie's mall, but we have expansion plans - both for free stuff and merchants and tools and resources.
The most bestest part is that it is free for all members to visit, not just Premium only.
The only caveat is that you need to be wearing your Seanchai Library Group tag to enter the world.

And..
We have a new Terraforming section that at present has about a dozen Terrain Maps for free download.
(These are the actual maps, not just the texture.. though that's coming too.)
We will be placing many more here, along with lots of other Terraforming resources and tools.
SLM Terra Hut.jpg
So feel free to visit the Seanchai Library Mall and let us know what you think as we develop it for all visitors.
If you haven't yet joined the Seanchai Library Group you can do so at the Seanchai Library homeworld by clicking on the Group Inviter at the main hub.

Here's the links...
Seanchai Library
grid.kitely.com:8002/Seanchai/144/128/29

Seanchai Library Mall
grid.kitely.com:8002/SEANCHAI%20MALL/128/128/23

If you have trouble getting to either place just open your map and type SEANCHAI in to search.
(if you need an LM just IM me)

Our worlds are public and open to all Kitely and Hypergrid residents. Guests are encouraged to wander freely about our properties exploring and discovering. So drop by any time!
Ask Shandon Loring for a Group Invite to receive all notices from the Seanchai Library - and to gain access to our additional story-themed worlds in Kitely.
The Seanchai Library has been in SecondLife for over seven years and in Kitely for over a year of story presentations. Using the platform of virtual worlds to further explore the potential of immersive story environments.
To find out more about us visit our WEBSITE and Preview the Seanchai Estate at: http://www.SeanchaiLibrary.com
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsCarlos Loff