Opensim-0.9.2.0 Standalone

Tips and discussions about using OpenSim
Sam Neverdie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Opensim-0.9.2.0 Standalone

Post by Sam Neverdie »

Hi Gusher.

I would recommend DG, yes. The installer is Windows (runing Win11 atm) and it is fully documented as well. You can run Standalone or HG enabled. If HG enabled you can set the grid in the way no one could take stuff.

https://outworldz.com/outworldz_installer/Grid/

What you mean Vanilla or Desktop? It runs well on my Ryzen with 128 Ram.
But I would not install it on a USB Stick. Instead I always used a small 1 or 2 TB 2" external Disk. Room for years to come.

It is not yet runing 0.9.2.0 but we are using YEngine already to. I think 0.9.2.0 will be up in some month.

When you go to Dreamgrid Mewe there is a big community with great support. Even the maker of DG are there on a daily base.

Dont use SOAS anymore- no good :)

Cheers
Gusher Castaignede

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

Hello Mr Sam,

Vanilla setup I meant by just the original opensim setup with commandline,
that's how I have setup right now and am not using SoaS...

Only thing is I could not get version 0.9.2.0 up and running, get error
stating it cannot find region, so stayed with previous opensim version.

As for DG will checkout once they update to 0.9.2.0....
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Sam Neverdie

Post by Sam Neverdie »

Not to find a region can have multiple reasons. From SQL up to wrong port or grid position.

I usualy backup all my iar and oar, install fresh building the grid. Then get oar and iar back in again.

DG is using a box configuring all for you while you put all your data in. Then it starts all regions and robust automaticaly from command line until all is up. Very handy. You can access each command line at any time and if you want to make modifications.

Once you are used to DG you not want anything else standalone anymore on your machine. Its awesome!
Gusher Castaignede

Hello Mr Sam,
I remember trying DG awhile back, the bright user interface installation
really hurts my eyes, prefer a dark themed style, if it's still bright
white tell them over there to include option to have dark theme...
Alot of the older folks have eye issues and accessibility is very important
to reach these groups of people which are many...
Sam Neverdie

Post by Sam Neverdie »

Hello Gusher,

I think there is a dark theme when you configer a web interface. For the normal user interface I did not see a dark theme yet but it is possible to let them know on Mewe (can do this). There is also a comment spot on the DG website. When you leave a comment or suggestion there it will be processed right away- they are quick and care alot.
These users thanked the author Sam Neverdie for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Sam Neverdie wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:00 am
SOAS is a dead branch.
It is unfortunately but as far as I know there isn't really a up-to-date direct replacement for it. If there was, I'd switch as fast as I could and never look back.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

Definately, SoaS is very lightweight vanilla style... I do know that the AUTHOR of the MoWeS server used in SoaS abandoned the project and realeased
the pro version freely... MoWeS server III premium. It should be easy to fork it to prepare an updated version. All what MoWeS does is provide the database for opensim, though you can still run opensim without it, I am...
Tess Juel wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:04 pm
Sam Neverdie wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:00 am
SOAS is a dead branch.
It is unfortunately but as far as I know there isn't really a up-to-date direct replacement for it. If there was, I'd switch as fast as I could and never look back.
Sam Neverdie

Post by Sam Neverdie »

True. I did also never see an alternative für SOAS because back then I started with it also. Ending up with MoWes later but the dude also gave up on updates and development.

What you can do with DG, or what I did for quite awhile is to run it on an external Seagate 2" Baracuda harddisk. Then connecct it over USB from one machine to another. This is great as long you stay at home - or in your home network. Going outside this was sometimes causing abit of trouble with MySQL, ports, firewall and stuff. Because when the other machine you connect the USB drive to do not have the right ports open everything will crash on boot up. Doing this 2 or 3 times and all your install is maybe borked and brakes very easily :) So you spend more time with hunting bugs and repairing as with playing.

Historicaly having Opensim on my 2" drive and after several crashes I though "Oh well" - I just put the disk into my computer chasis. You can even locally run your MySQL and Apache services then on your local machine and it will realy never get lost. There I can backup my iar*s and oar*s to a different drive and all is safe manually or with DG installer this is even more easy cause it comes with an automated backup for your stuff, iar, oar, database...
These users thanked the author Sam Neverdie for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Sam Neverdie wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:57 pm
True. I did also never see an alternative für SOAS because back then I started with it also.
I still don't see an alternative to SOAS for my use at least. Don't get me wrong, I'm really impressed by Dreamgrid, it's a brilliant solution if all you want to do is dial up a simple private sim or two. But the moment you want to do something more advanced the GUI a liability, not and advantage, and you need the server console and all the server commands.

What I'm working on now, for example, is a fairly large grid with a few hundred sims. Building and managing something like that with Dreamgrid simply isn't an option.

So that means I'm stuck with SOAS. It's not that it does the job well - it obviously doesn't - but it's the only software that can do the job at all and as long as that is true, it's not quote dead.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

Tess, am sure it's not hard to update SoaS and even in a better way, using either of the most popular development apps like WAMP, XAMPP, or MAMP for Mac, or LAMP for Linux... there are others too such as Vertigo server, DesktopServer (nice and easy..uses wordpress and can create multi-websites)... there's also UwAmp, AMPPS, The Uniform Server, WPN-XM, Wnmp, SecureWAMP (interesting one) .. and Abyss Web Server. Basicly, prepare a preset opensim setup and add the mysql database connection to the chosen desktop server app which also can include your website. From there package it all with a zip or an installer like DG... there are many installers out there, the expensive ones are very pro, you get what you pay for... cheapest method is portable, zipped...