Opensim-0.9.2.0 Standalone

Tips and discussions about using OpenSim
Gusher Castaignede

Opensim-0.9.2.0 Standalone

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

Is it worth to install this latest version? I use a standalone setup for offline content development, but seems the latest version may be bugged. Am getting this error in the image when trying to login, doesn't do that with version OpenSim-0.9.1.0..
https://ibb.co/F5gkHmH
These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post:
Ilan Tochner
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Ilan Tochner

Re: Opensim-0.9.2.0 Standalone

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Gusher,

Kitely uses OpenSim 0.9.1.1 with a select collection of patches from 0.9.2 and more than 600 patches that we developed and are only available on Kitely. As a general rule we wait after a new OpenSim version comes out before we start using it. Often there are issues that can take months to be detected and reported to OpenSim devs and then it can take additional time until those issues are resolved in a post-release update.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Gusher CastaignedeShandon Loring
Gusher Castaignede

Version 0.9.1.1 is working just fine, will stick with that for now....
would be great to see sim on a stick SoaS updated to latest version..
Tess Juel
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Gusher Castaignede wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:39 am
would be great to see sim on a stick SoaS updated to latest version..
Oh yes, that would be a dream come true for those of us who build sims!

I'm switching back and forth between SoaS and Dreamgrid now because I need some of the 0.9 functions but also a lot of the advanced console functions that have been disabled in the simplified Dreamgrid UI.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

The standalone on desktop for me helps alot for content development before uploading live to the grids and market... helps alot with random bad net connections, plus gives more privacy versus working in a sandbox where there could be copybotters around you, so the offline standalone is a must for serious content developers, after all, the more content for the hypergrids is a healthy future growth for a true metaverse, and opensim is leading the way as the default accessible method.
Tess Juel
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:39 am
The standalone on desktop for me helps alot for content development before uploading live to the grids and market... helps alot with random bad net connections, plus gives more privacy versus working in a sandbox where there could be copybotters around you, so the offline standalone is a must for serious content developers, after all, the more content for the hypergrids is a healthy future growth for a true metaverse, and opensim is leading the way as the default accessible method.
Add to that that we want to be nice to the grid owners and not load their asset databases with tons of test uploads.

However, for content testing I'd recommend Dreamgrid. It's a perfectly good local opensim 0.9 grid for that purpose. It's no good for serious terraforming though.
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

Oh definately, saves alot in operating costs for grid owners too. I tried dreamgrid installer awhile back but I wanted a standalone, not a hypergrid... want those two to be separate... also thought the dreamgrid installer seemed heavier than the SoaS release..
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:40 am
Oh definately, saves alot in operating costs for grid owners too. I tried dreamgrid installer awhile back but I wanted a standalone, not a hypergrid... want those two to be separate... also thought the dreamgrid installer seemed heavier than the SoaS release..
Dreamgrid works fine for a standalone grid. I think that's what it's most suitable for even though it also allows you to take your sim(s) online.

I haven't noticed that it's significantly heavier than SoaS but if it is, it's probably because it's based on 0.9 rather than 0.8. I'm not too impressed by the GUI since it isn't really easier to use than the regular opensim console and it disables several functions but it shouldn't add much to the processing load eithar.
Gusher Castaignede
Sam Neverdie
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sam Neverdie »

Tess Juel wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:54 pm
Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:40 am
Dreamgrid works fine for a standalone grid. I think that's what it's most suitable for even though it also allows you to take your sim(s) online.

I haven't noticed that it's significantly heavier than SoaS but if it is, it's probably because it's based on 0.9 rather than 0.8. I'm not too impressed by the GUI since it isn't really easier to use than the regular opensim console and it disables several functions but it shouldn't add much to the processing load eithar.
Well, there are alot of half/ true assumptions here.

SOAS is a dead branch. It is dead sind 0.8 and 0.8 is dead since about the year 2015. Even for security reasons I would not use this anymore. Also for the Diva branch what is still partly used now, but also dead since years. When do you see some minor updates in Diva? Well, maybe all 2-3 years lately and if she wants to.

DG did alot of improvement over the years and is 100% Hypergrid enabled (if you want to or not using it as single standalone), working since years. It also has integrated alot of Joomla/WP and is also moving away from the dead Diva horse, hopefully sooner as later.

Back to topic:
I do also not see any reason to go for 0.9.2.0, or at least I did not read and understand why we should go 0.9.2.0 now.
Gusher Castaignede

... so Mr Sam, your suggesting DG as your preferred choice? Or are using vanilla desktop install? If so, are you using 0.9.2.0 ? ... Mac or PC?