Opensim-0.9.2.0 Standalone

Tips and discussions about using OpenSim
Tess Juel

Re: Opensim-0.9.2.0 Standalone

Post by Tess Juel »

Gusher Castaignede wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:50 am
using either of the most popular development apps
Ummm... development apps? I'm a builder, not a software developer. ;)

I do actually know a lot about software development. In fact, I know so much about it I understand perfectly well why I should leave it to the experts and not try to mess around with it myself.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Sam Neverdie
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sam Neverdie »

With DG you can run much more as 2 or 3 little regions. In fact I would maybe run 1-3 regions only with SOAS and mostly when I had more it exploded :) Then I tried XAMPP and also MariaDB in the background. MariaDB is a great option but XAMPP has quite the limits when you need more grids on a single machine. Too much conflicts and php.inis here, mysqls there, for each another Opensim.ini, robust, Standolone/HG.ini...... catastrophic.

But:

I do run 98 regions with DG atm, another grid with about 16 regions and one grid with 16 mega regions only. All with robust and all HG enabled and when I open the grid for public or friends. You still have your robust and region consoles where you can run all your Opensim commands- if you have too. HG is just cool when you want to get out and visit others or friends. The DG GUI just helps to do settings much quicker and better as to dig through opensim.ini´s or or other settings by Notepad++. I always hated that in past.

It helps you to setup ports, port testing, backups, smart start options, map settings, map views, tide, bird settings, bots, doing reports/ loggings, voice settings, iceacst, DNS settings, restart options when a region crashes, cache settings, Ban lists, database setups .... I mean it is almost endless where you would need alot of time do edit all the files in need :) There is also a big library when you want to check out some oars and iars of free content. Plenty of stuff. And when there is a new version of DG or Opensim it does even the update for you when you click it. Can not be more comfy.

As mentioned above I run three different grids on a single machine with different databases, robust, and port settings. It would be catastrophic for me to run such an evironment today on SOAS.

DG is an option but all comes down to personal taste as well. When there is something out there with more features and options and is easier to use as DG, please let me know.

Edit: Attached a little example of my smaller grid with open command lines when needed. I usually start the grid up with no consoles open (settings option) cause I do mostly not need a console anymore and the screens are not so cluttered. All can be done from the GUI.
Attachments
DG Screenshot Eample.jpg
DG Screenshot Eample.jpg (279.21 KiB) Viewed 6168 times
These users thanked the author Sam Neverdie for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Sam Neverdie wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:23 pm
Edit: Attached a little example of my smaller grid with open command lines when needed.
Your illustration shows exactly why I can't use DG. Look at all those console windows.

Let's say for example I have a small continent with 16 4x4 region and I need to smooth out the terrain across the borders. This is something I do all the time and since the terrain editing tools don't work across sim borders, the only way to do it is merge them all into a single 16x16, edit the terrain there and then split it up into 16 4x4s again.

With DG you have to open the console for each sim one by one and type in each command line manually - and make sure you don't make any typos! That's a huge job.

With SoaS I have all the command lines for merging the 4x4s stored in a spreadsheet. All I have to do is copy the lines and paste them right into the single console. All done in one go and no risk of typos. Then of course, there's another batch of command line to copy and paste when it's time to split the regions up again. It only takes seconds. With DG it's easily half an hour or more of tedious typing whilst desperately trying to keep track of which part goes where.

Sam Neverdie wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:23 pm
When there is something out there with more features and options and is easier to use as DG, please let me know.
Yes, that would be lovely but I doubt it will ever happen.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post (total 2):
Gusher CastaignedeLunk Portal
Sam Neverdie
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sam Neverdie »

The console windows start with DG, or they start in the background and move down to the taskbar where you can pull them up when needed.

As I remember in SOAS and every other Opensim tool this was not different with the exception the console always blew up in your face and you had to close them manualy down to the taskbar when not needed.

I do not fully understand why you want to size/resize your regions. Edges/ smoothing terrain boarders is a good reason, but usually you do this only once and when you create the region. Other than that and when user mess up your region boarders by terraforming, work with a backup set of oar's and put them back in again. What you do sounds normal, but maybe you do it abit wrong.

Maybe ask in Dreamgrid Mewe "Opensimulator Dreamgrid Support and News". Something you need is very easy to use already, or Fred can implement it. Other than that the region size tool in DG configuration is easy to use too. You can go back and forth on region sizes whenever you want.

Stop the region, make them smaller, bigger, resize them, restart the region again and get your oar in again. Maybe no need to open a console ever:
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-01-14 210216.jpg
Screenshot 2022-01-14 210216.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 6132 times
These users thanked the author Sam Neverdie for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Lunk Portal

Post by Lunk Portal »

Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:05 am
Is it worth to install this latest version? I use a standalone setup for offline content development, but seems the latest version may be bugged. Am getting this error in the image when trying to login, doesn't do that with version OpenSim-0.9.1.0..
https://ibb.co/F5gkHmH
I just updated to 9.2, but I never actually "update", over the years of using OpenSim I have found, for myself anyway, that it is easier to backup the oar and iar, then do a clean install, then load everything back in.

I have been running my own OpenSim since 2009 and currently have 40+ regions. Over the years trying to update instead of the clean install has always produced errors, broken links, missing content, etc. Someone more proficient than myself could probably properly do an update with no issues, but I always had issues.

So far I have not run into anything in 9.2 that is a problem with the exception of my most recent media on a prim fix I scripted for autoplay a web address. The script worked in the previous version but in version 9.2 returns a handshake error. Back to the drawing board on that one.
These users thanked the author Lunk Portal for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
B. A. Shields (Lunk Portal)
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website
Kitely Market - Lunk's Loot
My Novels and other Projects
https://linktr.ee/bashields
Gusher Castaignede

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

Mac? Linux? or windows? Did you just start the updated opensim application exe and answered the questions or did you edit some files first?

Lunk Portal wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:51 am
Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:05 am
Is it worth to install this latest version? I use a standalone setup for offline content development, but seems the latest version may be bugged. Am getting this error in the image when trying to login, doesn't do that with version OpenSim-0.9.1.0..
https://ibb.co/F5gkHmH
I just updated to 9.2, but I never actually "update", over the years of using OpenSim I have found, for myself anyway, that it is easier to backup the oar and iar, then do a clean install, then load everything back in.

I have been running my own OpenSim since 2009 and currently have 40+ regions. Over the years trying to update instead of the clean install has always produced errors, broken links, missing content, etc. Someone more proficient than myself could probably properly do an update with no issues, but I always had issues.

So far I have not run into anything in 9.2 that is a problem with the exception of my most recent media on a prim fix I scripted for autoplay a web address. The script worked in the previous version but in version 9.2 returns a handshake error. Back to the drawing board on that one.
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Lunk Portal

Post by Lunk Portal »

I'm on Windows 10, and I don't use "update" anymore. I always clean install. I don't edit any .ini files with the exception of creating regions. I always make my own region.ini so I can organize my land in multiple regions in different ini files. It makes it much easier to find regions on my sim that way.

Because I run my sim on a localhost I don't really have to monkey with anything. I mostly use my sim for building and creating things for Market.

So basically I downloaded the latest bin, opened the exe, answered a few questions and I am up and running within minutes. Of course adding all my OAR and IAR files takes the longest.
Gusher Castaignede
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website
Gusher Castaignede

Kinda odd, went through same process but get error cannot find region...
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Lunk Portal

Post by Lunk Portal »

Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:10 am
Kinda odd, went through same process but get error cannot find region...
Do you write your own region.ini? I always do after installations.

Here is an example

Code: Select all

[Tatooine 1]
RegionUUID=64b55358-7f71-4d62-8f22-6b4e102ab0f2
Location=1000,992
InternalAddress=0.0.0.0
InternalPort=9024
AllowAlternatePorts=False
ExternalHostName=192.168.1.115
SizeX=256
SizeY=256
Enabled=True
NonPhysicalPrimMax=1024
PhysicalPrimMax=64
ClampPrimSize=False
MaxPrims=15000
MaxAgents=100
If you are using the same browser (i.e. Firestorm) and trying to login to your "new" localhost, firestorm may be trying to place you at a region from your previous install on localhost, which wouldn't exist anymore, unless you write your own region.ini, and ADD the old region to the new OpenSim and place it EXACTLY at the same x y position.

I usually rename my installations, my latest is "Portal", so when I look up my login info in Firestorm I know I'm logging into the new OpenSim with my new creds so I will rez right where I left off.
Gusher Castaignede
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website
Gusher Castaignede

...will try that, thanks