Direct URLs into Kitely

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Kayaker Magic

Direct URLs into Kitely

Post by Kayaker Magic »

How do I create direct URLs to send people to a particular place in kitely? I see people doing things like
hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Panthalassa/309/607/36
or just
grid.kitely.com:8002/Panthalassa
Those don't even work now if pasted into my in-world map, I seem to recall that they used to...
But there is a way in SL of constructing a URL that sends you to the right place from a WEB page in a browser, can we do that for Kitely?
My Browser just says "file not found" if I give it that "hop://" address above. Do I need a pluging for my Browser to handle these addresses?
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post:
Shandon Loring
Ilan Tochner

Re: Direct URLs into Kitely

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kayaker,

HOP URLs are not supported by all viewers so HOP addresses may not work for you if you don't use Firestorm (which does support it, including the direct link you sent me when pasted into that viewer's address bar).

HOP URLs require an application to register them as a file handler in the browser you use in order for them to work in that browser. That is something that Firestorm does on installation.

I suggest you reinstall the latest version of Firestorm and check again.
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Here is an article about Firestorm hops and other HG travel
HYPERGRID: Firestorm hops: Textable travel links; for the HG BeatThis list? Barely
http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/ ... -hops.html

Note that the FS hop is used in the FS Nav bar, not the world map. I don't know that it will work in the World Map.
It will not work reliably except in the local grid, so when I post (in my blog) directions to a location, I give 2 step directions:
The map-relevant directions for getting to the grid and maybe the world/region.
The hop directions to get them to the desired coordinates.

To get a FS hop, in Firestorm, go to the location and click on the Nav bar (top bar on screen)

The second step is not needed if the landing point is set up to take the guest easily to the desired location. On Cookie II we have walkin TP panels to take people to various local places.

Example
Cookie II location
HG address below: paste into the World Map next to Find. Click Find, TP
grid.kitely.com:8002:Cookie II
in Kitely: paste into Nav (top) bar of Firestorm, Enter.
hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Cookie II/68/369/22
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Not tried it and somewhat unfriendly anyway http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Browser_Protocol_Handler
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Graham Mills wrote:Not tried it and somewhat unfriendly anyway http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Browser_Protocol_Handler
Well yeah. That does look unfriendly, but I never read that, so I have been using them since I started using OpenSim back in 2013. I need them for my blog--if I write about a place I have to tell them how to get there. For worlds in Kitely, you can also give the regular web page that Kitely automatically provides.
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

Kayaker Magic wrote:How do I create direct URLs to send people to a particular place in kitely? I see people doing things like
hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Panthalassa/309/607/36
or just
grid.kitely.com:8002/Panthalassa
Those don't even work now if pasted into my in-world map, I seem to recall that they used to...
But there is a way in SL of constructing a URL that sends you to the right place from a WEB page in a browser, can we do that for Kitely?
My Browser just says "file not found" if I give it that "hop://" address above. Do I need a pluging for my Browser to handle these addresses?
The hop:// addresses never work for me.

I have to convert them to this: grid.kitely.com:8002:Panthalassa

You have a "/" where I have to put a ":" before the region name.

The exact location coordinates never work for me. I have to delete them from the end of any address.

If you want me to get to a specific location (like 309/607/36) you probably need to put a sign at your landing point.

It would be great if this could work smoother and more consistently. I'm not sure if this is an opensim issue or a viewer issue or a mix of the two.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post:
Shandon Loring
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

I never have figured this out. i end up giving out our Kitely homepage that takes visitors to our homeworld LZ and then we have gates there to take them where they need to go. I try to keep an eye out for arrivals and TP them to wherever our current event is. Which means I often have to keep an alt in one world to direct guests to the world we're actually meeting in. I will be watching this thread closely as i believe this kind of klunkiness is detrimental to folks adopting kitely and opensim.
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Serene Jewell
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

I just tried pasting Kayaker's original hoplink into the address bar in Firestorm and it did work. That didn't used to work for me, so yay!

Unfortunately, you would have to explain that to everyone you give the link to. :-)

So currently we have:
Hoplinks - Paste into the location bar at the top of Firestorm
Map - Open the map, paste, click FIND, click TELEPORT
Landmarks - Just click on it.

The problem with landmarks is that you have to hand it to the user (or deliver via a landmarker-giver) then they have to find it in their inventory. Landmarks fail for me about 30% of the time.

It's not easy being pioneers.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post:
Shandon Loring