Kitely web and Opera 12.16

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Zuza Ritt

Kitely web and Opera 12.16

Post by Zuza Ritt »

Kitely web is broken in Opera browser on Windows. I have tried in two computers with Opera 12.16 and 12.15, same result.
12.16 is last reasonable build of Opera, which will be used by power users and Linux users for some time, I hope it is not intended behavior of Kitely web.
I live among the trees. You are invited too:) Visit 21strom.
My Kitely Market. 21strom webpage.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Kitely web and Opera 12.16

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Zuza,

What do you mean by "Kitely web", are you referring to our website or to the (now no longer operational) Kitely Plugin?

In what way is it broken?
Zuza Ritt

Post by Zuza Ritt »

I am sorry for uncomplete info, Ilan. That is how I can see http://www.kitely.com in Opera, logged in or logged out.
Tried several versions of Opera, from 11.5x to 12.15 and 12.16. Other browsers on same computers are ok.

http://21strom.com/down/web-opera.jpg
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I just installed Opera 18.0.1284.68 on my Windows 8.1 and it worked just fine.

What version of Windows are you running?

Did you try downloading a more modern version of Opera? (version 12.16 seems old considering I just downloaded version 18 from their site)
Zuza Ritt

Post by Zuza Ritt »

Opera 15+ has nothing to do with Opera 12.16. New "Opera" you installed is crippled Chrome for simple users, based on another rendering engine than 12.16 and older versions.
Opera 12.16 was released in July 2013, so it is not so outdated to show so much broken webpage. It is last release for Linux users too.
I ve tried that on Win 7 32b and 64b.

Of course it is your choice to not support "old" browsers and cut off particular groups of users, but it is very weird behavior of webpage, which I do not know from other web pages and even "older" browsers. It looks to me like it is some small problem with layout, not essential problem with browser compatibility.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Is the Opera 12 branch still under development or has it been discontinued? Where can you download it from?
Zuza Ritt

Post by Zuza Ritt »

Opera could be downloaded from Opera web page http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?custom=yes

There are Community and Developers sections at Opera webpage, and plenty of discussions across the internet about Opera browser.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Zuza,

Our front-end uses GWT (Google Web Toolkit) which detects various browser types and creates appropriate layouts to support them. Opera post v12 works fine but v12 obviously doesn't.

We've checked our logs and only 5 people (out of the thousands who have accessed our website in the last 30 days) have used Opera v12 or lower. That is less than the number of people who have used Internet Explorer 8 which is also a browser we don't' support (for that version of IE and lower we actually give a warning and send people to upgrade to a more modern browser).

I'm sorry, as this version of Opera is not supported by the framework we use and it is hardly used by any of our visitors we aren't going to spend time fixing GWT to support it.
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

As another one of those five Opera 12 users, I can only lament that Google have had yet another victory in their campaign to force everyone to use their software.

To be fair, I use their software anyway - Chrome is my main browser (though I was using Opera for Kitely until this), and I have an Android phone, and use Google+ and so on, but I've always preferred there to be more competition and variety than companies like Google (and Microsoft and Apple) are prepared to tolerate.
Handy Low
Zuza Ritt

Post by Zuza Ritt »

I would like to say thank you! :)
Current Kitely web is working in "old classic" Opera very well now. Web was always lil bit problematic in Opera browser from the first days of Kitely existence, it was broken seriously in January, but web works perfectly now.
These users thanked the author Zuza Ritt for the post:
Handy Low