Inworld Permissions Editing Issues

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Sierra Jakob

Inworld Permissions Editing Issues

Post by Sierra Jakob »

I just built a 24 prim object in world. The 24 prims were all full permissions to me, though each prim was set to various permissions to others at the time of the build. Now that the object is built, in my inventory, I can set permissions for the object as I please--to modify/copy. However, I remember Ilan telling me I needed that I need to set permissions for objects when they are rezzed in-world. So I rezzed the object in-world and tried to set the permissions there.

In world, the object seems to already be set to "Modify". But every time I try to select the "copy" permission, the check appears for an instant and then disappears immediately. I tried relogging and this didn't help. I unlinked the object and checked every prim in the object--I'm quite sure that I am the creator of every prim and every prim is full perm to me.

This is a complex object, not easily rebuilt because it is made out of sculpties intricately interlinked. I've already created 20 different versions. I'm ready to put this item on the market. But since I cannot set the permissions inworld, as I've been instructed to do by Ilan, I am reluctant to procede.

Ilan, if you are out there... what to do?
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Ilan Tochner

Re: Inworld Permissions Editing Issues

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sierra,

What's the name of the object and where exactly is it located in your inventory?
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

It is located at
<* Sierra Jakob Creations>
<Hair>
<Simple French Twist by Sierra Jakob Designs>

There are twenty objects named
"Simple French Twist 001 by Sierra Jakob Designs"
to
"Simple French Twist 020 by Sierra Jakob Designs"
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Hi Sierra,

Please add one of these items as a product. Don't Activate it, but let me know which one it is. Then I can test it to see what's the problem.

Also, please try this: take only ONE of the prims, and give it the Copy permission. Does this work? If yes, then link together two of the prims, and try again. Can you give them the Copy permission? What about 3 prims? What I'm hoping is that we might find one particular prim that is preventing the Copy permission from sticking.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post:
oopsee joseppe
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Hi, Oren. I already put the object in the market--Simple French Twist 001 Blonde.

Also, I already took the object apart and tested each and every prim in world. Every prim is ok--each belongs to me and I can change the permissions as I like to the individual prims (sculpties). It is only the congregate that misbehaves. I tested this all before entering the post.

Also, I asked another avatar to test the object as a whole. Although I was unable to change the permissions in-world, I could change the permissions in my inventory to mod/copy. The individual recieving the item says they can modify AND copy the item. However, when I rez the item inworld, it only shows as modify inworld. And when I place the item in the market, it only shows as modify.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I'm seeing the same issue with very simple de novo 4-prim builds using both Kokua and Singularity. If you shift-copy a prim and link it, the group perms derive from the original prim and Copy and the copy perm can't be set though they can be unset. If all prims are copy to start with then you can unset those options but it only takes one no-copy prim in the linkset to cause a problem.
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

The issue for me is, I've been building since 2008, and this is the first time I've seen this.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

I found the bug and fixed it, and it will be included in the next release. This was caused by a fix we added in the last release. That fix ensures that when two prims are linked, the resulting group will get the lowest permissions from both prims. This ensures that users can't increase their permissions on a prim by linking it to a prim that has high permissions. However, this change was too restrictive in permissions: e.g., if any prim didn't have Next Owner permissions of Copy, then we wouldn't allow adding that permission to the combined group, even if the owner had full permissions on all the prims.

It's possible to work around this bug by unlinking the group; changing the "Next Owner" permissions of all the prims to MCT; and relinking. After you do that you'll be able to change the Next Owner permissions. When I looked at your object, Sierra, I saw that 3-4 of the prims don't have Next-Owner Copy permission; so only those prims need to be changed.

Alternatively, wait until the next release, at which point this workaround won't be required anymore. This release should be in a couple of weeks.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post (total 5):
Graham MillsMin TigerpawDundridge DreadlowHandy Lowoopsee joseppe
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Thank you for locating the bug. I'm grateful it will be fixed.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

This problem should be fixed now.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineSierra Jakob