Hypergrid Travel Problem

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Danko Whitfield

Hypergrid Travel Problem

Post by Danko Whitfield »

I am unable to "hyperjump" from my OpenSim standalone, Dankoville, to Kitely with Dankoville avatars. They can go to other grids but not Kitely.

I have no trouble HGing from Kitely to Dankoville with my Kitely avatars. I also have no trouble using a "third party" avatar - my OSgrid avatar for example - to jump back and forth between Dankoville and Kitely.

It is only the Dankoville avatars who can't get to Kitely.

When I put a Kitely HG address in the World Map entry box, it does Find the Kitely world but when I click Teleport, it tries...and then gives me this error message:

"Teleport refused: Unknown avatar: a4e7e57d-7d00-4493-a812-a3f21424b4c1"

I did send that avatar to OSgrid and tried to get to Kitely from there but I got the same message as expected.

Adding: I did try multiple avatars and got the same error message, different UUID of course.

I do not have a domain name for my standalone, the login uri is:
http://198.255.235.132:9000

HG address: 198.255.235.132:9000:Dankoville

Is that why - like with Kitely Market deliveries - I can't HG from Dankoville to Kitely with my local av on Dankoville?

Also, I have set up some hypergates on Dankoville with Maria Korolov's recently published script - used her objects as well. The gates for other grids I have set up work fine but the Kitely one does not. At least with my local Dankoville avatars. I have not yet tried the gates with a third party avatar but I will do that later today.

I'll be afk for a few hours so, if further info is needed to resolve this, I will tend to it when I return.

Thanks to Ilan and Oren in advance.

(I am using New World Studio, the latest update. which is running OpenSim 0.7.5)

Also: a suggestion for the Forums - how about a Hypergrid Support subcategory here? I would have put this thread there and I think visitors from other grids would be looking for such a subcategory if they visit these forums. Thanks.
Deuce Halsey

Re: Hypergrid Travel Problem

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Danko Whitfield wrote: Also: a suggestion for the Forums - how about a Hypergrid Support subcategory here? I would have put this thread there and I think visitors from other grids would be looking for such a subcategory if they visit these forums.
I can't help you with your specific problem, Danko. But I agree that a Hypergrid Support category here in the forums is called for. An excellent idea!
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post:
Danko Whitfield
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Danko,

We don't allow access to visitors from grids that use an IP address instead of a domain name as their grid's hypergrid address. I suggest you use one of several free dynamic DNS services to get yourself a domain name you can easily assign to whatever IP your grid is currently located on.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Danko Whitfield
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Here's the Kitely wiki page about the dynamic DNS services: https://kitely.atlassian.net/wiki/displ ... S+Services
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I 3rd the suggestion of an HG category here.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 2):
Danko WhitfieldShandon Loring
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Danko Whitfield

Thanks Ilan, I was afraid that was the answer. :)

There are a number of good reasons not to use a DNS service and they have outweighed the benefits for Dankoville until recently. I do plan to switch to DNS at some point in the coming months pending on various developments that are beyond my control...like the next version of New World Studio; OpenSim 0.8; how the sale of my local cable company affects my IP address, whether I decide to dispense with NWS and run Diva directly, etc. As a non-techie, I'd like to only have to go through changing things and then dealing with the trouble it causes...once...or as few times as possible. :) So I'm waiting to see where things go. Right now, the grid works great. If ain't broke... :)

I wouldn't bother with DNS still if it was just affecting me but I'm not the only local user anymore, a little RP group is starting up on Dankoville, so now that others are involved I do want to take steps that make life easier for them.

So, we'll catch up with you Kitely! It'll just take us awhile. :) Meantime, your Kitely avatars can HG to Dankoville, so c'mon over!
198.255.235.132:9000:Dankoville
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Danko,

It's really easy to set up a new domain name under a dynamic DNS service, it only takes a couple of minutes and it's free. You then have a domain name you can easily change to whatever IP you're currently using.
Shandon Loring
Danko Whitfield

Hi Ilan,

I read a lot of New World Studio users say they switched to a DNS address and then were unable to get NWS to work. With no support to troubleshoot it. I'm sure the fix to that is easy for some but not for everybody. I'd be in the latter group.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Personally, I'd avoid using a product that requires you to use IPs instead of domain names, especially if there was no one to talk to in order to fix such an unjustifiable limitation in that product. IPs often change and being forced to use them prevents you from having a stable address people can find your grid at. I recommend you switch from NWS to sim-on-a-stick if you want to run your sim on your own computer. Either that or get the NWS developer to fix that silly bug.
Shandon Loring
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

I am suddenly unable to jump to any Hypergrid address via the "paste the HG address into local chat and then clicking on it in the chat history" method. I've tried several different addresses and nothing. Meanwhile I can still teleport out to HG worlds via teleportal.

When the local chat tele method fails, I get a message window saying:

"Windows is unable to find 'http://hg.osgrid.org:80:Samsara' . Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

This is just an example of one location I've tried. The message shows whatever location I tried. And the chat line I clicked on in the above example was "hg.osgrid.org:80:Samsara" - there was no http preface in there. Chat history teles were working fine yesterday - now suddenly nothing.
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782