Crossing the Streams: Kitely/SL mashups

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Cyn Sweetwater
Has thanked: 0

Crossing the Streams: Kitely/SL mashups

Post by Cyn Sweetwater »

Hey everyone ...

I'm absolutely brand new to Kitely, but I'm old news at Second Life. I share the same name in both. So, having just created my Kitely account, I was wandering around one of the freebie sims looking to glam up a little, maybe catch an AO, and discovered that none of it was clickable for free - just inert prims - and anything that seemed for sale popped up the "you can't buy that because you're broke" thingie (I'm paraphrasing here) ... and when I clicked on the link to take me where I could supposedly buy Kitely bucks I was instead logged into my Second Life dashboard. From Kitely. Which strikes me as a bit weird. The same thing happens when I try to log into my Kitely dashboard, I get my Second Life dashboard instead. There seems to be some huge mashup between the two worlds.

I'm using Firestorm 4.2.2.something, for opensim. I also have firestorm 4.3.1.something, which only works in Second Life, far as I know, but I was using the opensim version because, how else could I be in Kitely?

So how about it, hive mind? Got an answer for this girl?
These users thanked the author Cyn Sweetwater for the post:
Bladyblue Bommerang
Ilan Tochner

Re: Crossing the Streams: Kitely/SL mashups

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Cyn,

The current recommended viewer for accessing Kitely is the OpenSim-compatible version of Firestorm (the viewer we currently recommend can always be downloaded from here: http://www.kitely.com/file?type=viewer).

The Buy buttons in viewers are, very unfortunately, hardcoded to go to the SL site, which explains why you encountered the problem which brought you to post this question.

You can buy Kitely Credits in two places:

1) The My Worlds page of your Kitely account: http://www.kitely.com/myworlds

2) The Settings page of your Kitely account: http://www.kitely.com/settings

There are freebie worlds on Kitely that have scripts fixed so that you can buy content without having any KC. I recommend going to the Public Worlds page and clicking the shopping link to find them: http://www.kitely.com/search
Cyn Sweetwater

Post by Cyn Sweetwater »

Hi Ilan,

Thank you for that quick reply!

So, yup, I'm using the OpenSim version of Firestorm you recommend, like I said.

OK, so I should just expect some weirdness like the "buy KC" button to take me to my SL dashboard ... still weird, but it is what it is. Looks like I'll have to get used to my browser being a more integrated part of my viewer experience.

I was expecting the freebies to be, well, free ... but nothing was working. It was Kat Lemieux's Freebie Mall 2.0. Maybe it was the sim just not working, and I was conflating it with the KC/L$ problem. Hovering or clicking on the many offered things just got me nowhere. I'll try elsewhere and whine some more if it doesn't work.

Tanx -Cyn
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Cyn.

Some viewer-related issues resulting from functions not properly ported to work with OpenSim can still pop up from time to time but they are slowly being resolved by viewer developers.

If you're looking for a freebie world that, AFAIK, is properly set up to enable you to get content for free, I suggest you try: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Mar ... eebie-Mall
Cyn Sweetwater

Post by Cyn Sweetwater »

Thank you again, Ilan. I'll try there next time I'm in Kitely. :)
Sheera Khan

Post by Sheera Khan »

Even at the Freebie Mall I encountered some (few) boxes not set to sell their contents for 0 KC. But you can always use the right mousebutton click and "take copy" to get the item. Have a lot of fun exploring :-)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thanks Sheera,

If you send that world's manager an IM (you can see her identity on the world's World Page) then I'm sure she'll be happy to fix any problems you bring to her attention.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

There's an educator-friendly version of the original Freebie Mall at Stuff which is currently on free entry. There's also a copy of Linda's building resources as well as some other open source avatars.

http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Gra ... ls-2/Stuff
Last edited by Graham Mills on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Graham.

Please add a link to that world page to make it easier for people to directly reach it from your comment.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

That raises an interesting point, viz what happens in the navigation field if there are two regions with the same name -- I assume you see both qualified by owner? Or does world creation block reuse?