A reproduceable cloud-bug, and how to decloud

Ask technical support questions about other topics
phacelia Furse
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A reproduceable cloud-bug, and how to decloud

Post by phacelia Furse »

Strangely, after a clouded avatar problem was asked about in another thread yesterday, I also got that problem. However, since my problem is quite specific, I made another thread for it.

I have a reproducable case/bug where I log in as a cloud, and where the only way to fix it seems to delete an object from my inventory. I try to describe it fully here in case it could be a help to anyone (developers, or users with similar problem, etc). And of course I post it mainly because it is an unconvenient bug that I would love to see fixed :)

I have made a scripted object, and when I wear it as a HUD (as intended), and then log out, I will stay as a cloud when I log in again. (It has only happened once or twice in more than 10 tries that this bug did not happen.) The object is a dance-HUD ("DanceMe"), and it contains one script in addition to dances.

Last night I had lots of trouble until I found out how to be able to rez again by deleting the earlier attached DanceMe totally from my inventory. During the process I did manage to rez myself temporarily by using methods I found described several other places, by for intstance make a new set of skin/body/hair/eyes, and wear them. However it didn't stick next time I logged in. Not until I deleted the folder where DanceMe where located in the inventory (and also deleted it from Trash), I finally could rez properly again.

Today I have made a list of steps that quite consistently reproduce the cloud-bug, and how to fix me again afterwards (I use 32-bit Singularity for this test, but the problems were on 64-bit Singularity and Firestorm too last night.)
  • 1. I have a subfolder that only contains DanceMe (the scripted object/HUD), located somewhere in the Objects-folder. [Inventory shows 1623 items, fully loaded.]
  • 2. I attach DanceMe to HUD. [Inventory now shows 1624 items, as DanceMe also was added to the "Current Outfit"-folder]
***Everything works perfectly at this point, DanceMe is working and dancing me as intended.
  • 3. I relog (with DanceMe still attached).
  • 4. I am rezzed as a cloud with the "Clothing-not-downloading, but other will see you..."-message. [Inventory stuck at only 1622 items. When trying to open the inventory-folder where DanceMe is stored, as well as the "Current Outfit"-folder, they both shows ( Loading... ), and none of them are showing DanceMe.]
  • 5. I right-click the HUD (DanceMe), and choose "Detach". It doesn't detach, but it makes my avatar rez. (still 1622 items)
  • 6. I right-click/Detach once more, and this time it detaches, and now also show in inventory in its folder, though the folder is still showing ( Loading... ) (now 1623 items)

***At this point everything seems normal except from two folders showing ( Loading... ), however, if I relog now, everything get messed up even more:
*********************************************************************************************************************
  • (6a. I also tried to attach the DanceMe-HUD again before relogging, but the result (6b-6e) is the same whether I do that or not)
  • 6b. I relog
  • 6c. I rez as cloud, and this time the DanceMe-HUD is not visible on my screen(even if I attached it in point 6a). [ONLY 1601 items, In addition to the DanceMe-folder, now the whole Current Outfit is empty, while in point 4. it only missed DanceMe]. Now since there is no HUD to detach, only way to make myself rez might be to put on a new body/skin/hair/eyes, but that will only work temporarily, as next time relogging, I'm back to cloud (tried that last night, didn't test again now).
  • 6d. I delete the empty DanceMe-folder that is showing ( Loading... ). I also delete it from Trash.
  • 6e. I relog, and everything is back to normal [1623 items, which is the same I started with in point 1. , which is strange, since I now have deleted the whole folder with DanceMe. It turns out, however, that in Current Outfit, there now is a "DanceMe (broken link)"]
*********************************************************************************************************************

***Instead of doing 6a-6e over, I proceed as following after point 6.
  • 7. I MUST delete the folder with DanceMe inside from Inventory. I also MUST delete it from the Trash.
  • 8. I relog. Everything is back to normal. [1623 items] I have a "DanceMe (broken link)" in Current Outfit, which I can delete, or not. Every time I do the process point 1-8 over, it will add another "DanceMe (broken link)" to Current Outfit, if I don't belete it.
If I remember to detach my dance-HUD before logging out, and also never crash the viewer when it is attached, I should be able to avoid the bug :)
grid.kitely.com:8002:Sputnik
Ilan Tochner

Re: A reproduceable cloud-bug, and how to decloud

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for the detailed bug report Phacelia.

Have you tried deleting both the viewer cache and the viewer inventory cache instead of deleting the item from your inventory?
phacelia Furse

Post by phacelia Furse »

I tried, but...

In Singularity I can only see one "Clear cache"-button, which I believe is viewer cache. I did clear that, but to no help. I can not see any option to clear inventory cache from Singularity.

And I also tried to do that with Firestorm. But like I mentioned in another thread earlier, the "Clear Inventory Cache"-button in Firestorm is grayed out and un-clickable, and still was last night when I tried.

(Before I managed to de-cloud myself last night, one step I tried was to delete all viewers on my computer, and all folders regarding all viewers I found in different sub-folders in the User-folder. I read somewhere that logging in from different viewers also could mess up. So after that, I installed only one viewer (32-bit Singularity). But that didn't help, until I found the steps I described in myfirst post.)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Okay, thank you for the additional information.
phacelia Furse

Post by phacelia Furse »

UPDATE:

I just logged in, and saw that the DanceMe-HUD was attached. Everything else was fine. I rezzed OK, and nothing looked out of order. But I really remembered that I detached it before I logged off last time!

So I detach it, and relog. And the HUD is indeed back on my screen again.

I try again. I detach it, and relog. And this time it is gone.

I try once more. I attach it, dance for 5 seconds, and detach it, and relog. And it is still attached when I'm back. I do this 10 times before the detachment sticks. Almost every time I have detached it, it is back when I have relogged.

I told earlier that if I log out when it is attached, I will be a cloud when I log in again, and I have to detach it twice to really detach it. (First detach de-cloud me, and second detach takes it off my screen.) Only 1-2 times out of more than 10 tries, did the clouding not happen.

Now I tried to log in 12 times after I had detached it, and only two times did the detachment stick when I relogged.

I see a connection here, even though I cannot explain it.

Speculation, even though I admit I have not a clue:
Maybe it is detached too fast? The reason I say that, is that I have seen another small bug.
I rez a cube, and attach it to HUD after I have put this script (from lslwiki.net) inside it:

Code: Select all

{
    attach(key attached)
    {
        if (attached == NULL_KEY)  // object has been detached
        {
            llWhisper( 0, "Why hast thou forsaken me?" );
            // etc.
        }
        else   // object has been //attached//
        {
            llWhisper( 0, "I'm stuck on you, " + llKey2Name(attached) );
            // etc.
        }
    }
}
Most of the times it does not say "Why hast thou forsaken me?" when I detach it, but instead is is saying both of the messages if I attach it again. (Sometimes it is working correctly, but mostly not.)

EDIT: And after I detached both the danceMe (again), and the test-cube, and relog, they are both back on my screen!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The detach message may be taking time to register with the server. I suggest you wait a few minutes after you login to let the world finish downloading before you try to detach then wait 15 seconds after detaching before logging out. Please let me know if this changes things.

Also, try selecting some inventory folder and doing replace outfit on it, that often detaches things that are "sticky".