llSetPrimMedia woes

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Kayaker Magic

llSetPrimMedia woes

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I'm trying to put a WEB page on a prim face. I recall having strange things happen with trying to put a video on a prim, and some of the same strange things are happening with a static WEB page on a prim. Is there a way to make this seamless and reliable?

The Wiki has very poor documentation, ex: PRIM_MEDIA_AUTOPLAY “Sets whether the media auto-plays when a Resident can view it.” What does auto-play mean? Does this only work on videos? Or does this mean the WEB page will appear automatically when you get close to it? The latter does not work, each avatar needs to click on it to get it to appear. Is there a way to make it work without a click?
PRIM_MEDIA_FIRST_CLICK_INTERACT “Sets whether the first click interaction is enabled. Note: This flag appears not to work.” Shame, but WHAT doesn't work? Does this mean I can disable the requirement to click on the surface for the WEB page to appear? If so then the media will never appear?

Even when I break down and put “Click on the white face below to see the content”, it doesn't always work. Apparently there is a long delay after calling llSetPrimMedia before the click works. During this time the click goes to the touch_start event instead. Sometimes clicking never brings up the WEB page unless you relog. Is there a way to make URL on a prim more reliable?

I could swear I have seen other people build things that had WEB pages or other media that did not require clicking to get them to view. Does that require one of the OSSL functions that are disabled by default for most users?
Selby Evans

Re: llSetPrimMedia woes

Post by Selby Evans »

Kayaker -- media on prim works fine for me. I sent you a poster version (search for BOP) If you put the script in a blank prim, it will put the media on the the prim. If you change the url in the script, that chages the display. There is a video on the one I sent you and it plays for me.

Re click to see: 2 steps needed to see autoplay (in Firestorm). The prim has to be set to allow auto play (with the function you cited) and the viewer has to be set to allow that also. In Firestorm, go to preferences--sound & media -- media tab -- "allow media to autoplay." I see that my setting is also "allow inworld scripts to play media," so that may be needed also.

As far as I know these panels play any publc site you send them to. Sites that that require a password or other user action after load will probably not work.

My experience is that browser media always autoplays with these settings. If you have multiple media panels out, they will not all rez immediately or at the same time. Each is a separate browser read and there is a limit to the number of prims that will show media at the same time. (There is a setting in Firestorm that lets you adjust that limit--see Network and files-- Max number of web browser windows.) My experience is that fewer that that limit will actually show, but I have not doen systematic tests.

If anybody else wants a BOP poster, some are displayed in the Hobo Sandbox on Cookie II. These should be free to copy.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

AFAIK prim media doesn't require OSSL though it is showing its age due to being Webkit-based. The Lab is moving away from QT and Flash in its upcoming viewers and supporting Chromium Embedded Framework instead.

I agree that there tends to be some lag before media appear but simple video and web pages should display -- I just tried Vimeo and YT pages on Firestormx64/Win8.1 and both worked.

There are also issues with autoplay as the user has to activate that option in preferences before it will work. I suspect some users would be unhappy if OSSL could override that.

There have also been problems with error messages spamming the interface:

http://blog.nalates.net/2010/03/16/medi ... bkit-fail/

It's been a while since I played with scripting MOAP but I imagine that "first click" governed whether the action was interpreted as a web page operation or a prim operation. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the more complex PRIM_MEDIA combinations were problematic.
Kayaker Magic wrote:
The Wiki has very poor documentation, ex: PRIM_MEDIA_AUTOPLAY “Sets whether the media auto-plays when a Resident can view it.” What does auto-play mean? Does this only work on videos? Or does this mean the WEB page will appear automatically when you get close to it? The latter does not work, each avatar needs to click on it to get it to appear. Is there a way to make it work without a click?
PRIM_MEDIA_FIRST_CLICK_INTERACT “Sets whether the first click interaction is enabled. Note: This flag appears not to work.” Shame, but WHAT doesn't work? Does this mean I can disable the requirement to click on the surface for the WEB page to appear? If so then the media will never appear?

Even when I break down and put “Click on the white face below to see the content”, it doesn't always work. Apparently there is a long delay after calling llSetPrimMedia before the click works. During this time the click goes to the touch_start event instead. Sometimes clicking never brings up the WEB page unless you relog. Is there a way to make URL on a prim more reliable?

I could swear I have seen other people build things that had WEB pages or other media that did not require clicking to get them to view. Does that require one of the OSSL functions that are disabled by default for most users?
Lunk Portal

Post by Lunk Portal »

Anyone ever figure this out?

I have the same "have to click" issue, and the auto-play is ON in the prim.
B. A. Shields (Lunk Portal)
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website
Kitely Market - Lunk's Loot
My Novels and other Projects
https://linktr.ee/bashields
Lunk Portal

Post by Lunk Portal »

I found the solution!

For whatever reason, placing the web address on the prim face ALWAYS requires someone to click it to load, regardless of "auto-play" settings in your browser or object. I thought the solution would then have to be script-related, and I found a script and it works perfectly.

NOW the web RSS feed shows every time I log into the land WITHOUT me having to click the object first!

Here is the code I found

I deleted the code...it stopped working in the latest update
Last edited by Lunk Portal on Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Lunk Portal for the post (total 4):
Gusher CastaignedeIlan TochnerShandon LoringTony El
B. A. Shields (Lunk Portal)
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website
Kitely Market - Lunk's Loot
My Novels and other Projects
https://linktr.ee/bashields
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

very cool Bruce!! ty for posting.

also, just a 2¢ worth in case it affects anybody here before you go down a rabbit hole chasing it... 🕳🐇

Youtube Live Feed will not work on MOAP, something to do with HTML4 vs HTML5

(YT works great of course, we have info kiosks scattered all over the estate. but i mean Live Stream YT won't work)

I don't know how many others would use YouTube Live on a prim in world anyway, but we sure would if it worked! LoL

and if anyone has a solution for that, I would be very interested!

thanks all!!
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 3):
Lunk PortalIlan TochnerTony El