Voice problems

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Arton Tripsa

Voice problems

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Hi, there seems to be some intermittent voice prob that everyone is experiencing on my main world, State of Writing. Suddenly voice drops out for everyone on the world, regardless of what viewer folks are on. It only lasts for a short time and then, suddenly, just as folks are about to relog, it returns. Anyone else having this prob? Anyone know why this is happening? It did not happen before we went to a Varegion but this may be unrelated...On the whole the world is performing much better know and has not crashed since we worked on reducing the FPS and we went to Varegion.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Voice problems

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Arton,

Voice on Kitely uses Vivox, the same company that provides voice in Second Life. Unfortunately, Vivox's service can, at times, experience problems. The question is can you create a reproducible scenario that causes these voice problems. If so, then it may be something relating to our setup and not Vivox and therefor something we can investigate and possibly fix.

Do these problems appear consistently?

Have you experienced them in other Kitely worlds as well?
Arton Tripsa

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, I know Vivox can have its moments. It seems to only happen on my Advanced World, The State Of Writing. It only happens for about 5 mins or even less, but it does happen consistently almost every day to various people - the people are usually very different. I have no idea what is causing it but it never happened before we went to Varegion. This is not to suggest that going to Varegion caused it!! - it may have nothing to do with it. But it is a recent phenomenon and does not seem to be related to viewers or internet as all the folks are using different internet in different countries. It never happened before...it does not seem like a normal loss of voice. We are all familiar with losing voice and resetting voice etc...but this seems quite different. Resetting voice does not solve it. It is just like the sufferer on the world has dropped out of time and space for several minutes :-) and then they return...:-)
These users thanked the author Arton Tripsa for the post:
Your Teacher
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Next time this happens Arton, please let us know the exact time (with timezone) and the user this happens to. Please report both the time the problem begins and the time it ends.
Your Teacher

Post by Your Teacher »

Wow. This seems so similar to what is happening to us too. I hadn't made the var connection, but ...

(Apart from my own issue with being kicked off my world.)
Your Teacher

Post by Your Teacher »

The Alchemy viewer gave me an odd log from Vivox. It said:-

02-19-16 12:56:51.973 8876 Error Service::ShutdownSDK Shutdown failed to complete: this=0x97ef8c0
02-19-16 15:46:51.196 4176 Error Service::ShutdownSDK Shutdown failed to complete: this=0x82df6ec

The Firestorm viewer gave me this:-

02-18-16 20:59:11.296 12520 Error Service::ShutdownSDK Shutdown failed to complete: this=0x960fb50
02-18-16 21:05:06.731 2088 Error Service::ShutdownSDK Shutdown failed to complete: this=0x97cf4cc
02-18-16 21:57:29.815 4144 Error Service::ShutdownSDK Shutdown failed to complete: this=0x8e5f608

(I have no idea what it all means, but maybe they are trying to tell me something.)
Arton Tripsa

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Sorry it has taken a while to report this in more detail. This voice problem affects an individual avi, and for a few minutes that avi cannot hear anyone and no one on the world can hear them. The problem is that it is very hard to pinpoint precisely when this BEGINS. It only becomes apparent when suddenly the person concerned realises that they have been talking for some time and yet gotten no reply. When they suddenly come back it is easy to pinpoint because suddenly everyone hears them - but even then they may have given up talking for some minutes before trying again.

Here is one log of this occurring in a shorter interval: (all time is in PST)

On 19th February :

Nicci Dulin lost voice around 20:40

At 20.41 we could hear her again.

Although this is only 1 instances, this is occurring almost every day when I am in my world, State Of Writing. I have experienced Vivox failures even since voice was turned on in SL but never experienced quite this phenomenon. Usually the person’s voice become garbled or broken up before becoming hard to hear, but not like this. The avi involved just drops the voice connection suddenly, completely and with no warning. Up until they drop it they are speaking well and there is no indication of anything wrong.

I will keep an eye out for this and try to document it more. Thanks for your time.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Arton,

Is any of the people encountering these problems running Windows or are they all using OS X versions of the viewer?

The next time this happens please note the coordinate of the affected avatar in the world. I want to see if this correlates to high coordinates that exceed the Second Life 256 maximum in the X and/or Y axis.
Your Teacher

Post by Your Teacher »

Hi,

I logged the following last week:-

23rd Feb 2016 2:00 Kitely time.

Logged in using Alchemy everything was working, with the usual slight issue with voice, but then we teleported from http://grid.kitely.com:8002/region/Lear ... 518/501/50 to another Kitely world at about 2:40 am. Landed at http://grid.kitely.com:8002/region/Apri ... /63/115/22 Lost Voice. Relogged - no luck. Restarted computer - no luck. Went into Preferences and it said the usual "Please Wait" - then suddenly the boxes appeared, and showed that the mic is connected, but whenever I closed down Preferences, it cut the mic off again.

Logged into "the other place" and it was working fine. I am currently using Windows 10.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please try using the new version of Kokua Viewer, which reportedly has better support for OpenSim, and report if this made any difference: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3248