Sailing

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Tom Guar
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sailing

Post by Tom Guar »

Will Kitely ever support SPD sailing scripts? I know alotta ppl would like to sail here and I build sailing pirate ships
Ilan Tochner

Re: Sailing

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Tom,

Kitely supports the LSL and OSSL scripts that work with the OpenSim version that it uses. As of now (January 4, 2017), that means scripts that work in OpenSim 0.8.2.1 using ODE or BulletSim as the physics engine.
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

SPD is a class of sailing scripts based on the BWind script from SL, which in turn was based on the Tako script in SL.
It may be possible to make these scripts work with BulletSim, but it would requires that you understand the Physical Vehicle API very well and you could tinker with the vehicle parameters to get things to work right. I doubt anybody could ever get those scripts to work with ODE.

If you insist on SPD or BWind, there is hope on the horizon: Both of those scripts can be made to work on OpenSim 0.9 with the ubODE physics engine. The Physical Vehicle API under ubODE is apparently close enough to SL that these scripts work with minimal tinkering to the parameters. Once you get past the physics engine, there are other minor problems with these scripts. They contain syntax that is apparently legal in SL but not allowed in the LSL compiler on OpenSim. I have found that that it is possible to make small changes to the code to get it to compile in OpenSim. (In every case I have seen, the changes make the code more clear, easier to read).

But I have to ask you: Why do you want SPD when I already make a sailing script that works in Kitely and everywhere else in the Metaverse? That works no matter which physics engine you choose? Go to https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Ka ... anthalassa and try out the Pirate Gunboats. Bring several friends and shoot at each other with the mounted cannon. Or go try out the Golden Hind that has 16 guns that can be aimed and fired in 3 groups. Three of your friends can wear the HUD and each control a different group of guns. That boat is an Arcady Asylum build that I cannot sell, but I converted it to a functioning sailing ship as a demonstration of how you could convert your boats to working pirate ships using my script.
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerSelby Evans
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

I can confirm that Kayaker's pirate gunboats are great fun!
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

I have the SPD scripts and have been working with them. They are unusable in the ODE physics engine because ODE has some bugs in the vehicle engine that call for the wrong data types, or which the compiler is asking for the wrong types, asking for floats when the engine needs a vector, and the reverse. This is why no physical vehicles can move forward in ODE, the nose pitches up. I have not seen any problems using various physical vehicles in Bullet, we will be having speeder races in Naboo using such. I plan on working with the SPD scripts in this coming week to see what can be done with them.
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post:
Selby Evans