Alphas being turned off by system...

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Mike Lorrey

Alphas being turned off by system...

Post by Mike Lorrey »

I have a building with a couple glass walls, mesh, using an alpha diffuse texture and specular. I have repeatedly come here and found the alpha turned to ALPHA_MODE_NONE without my knowledge or consent. Is this part of your automatic lag detection program? This is pretty invasive to drastically change the appearance of a building without the owners permission.
Attachments
This is what it should look like...
This is what it should look like...
This is what I see when I arrive, note the alpha mode turned to NONE.
This is what I see when I arrive, note the alpha mode turned to NONE.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Alphas being turned off by system...

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Mike,

The only object property our automatic optimization system changes is the Phantom property for non-Phantom objects that have overly complex collision meshs that create physics engine lag.

Are the objects this happens to in a linked set? If so, does this still happen to them when they aren't linked? OpenSim discards some object properties of objects that aren't the root object in a linked set (on region restart). That's why, for example, the None property value was created to enable objects in linked sets to behave like Phantom.
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Mike,

The only object property our automatic optimization system changes is the Phantom property for non-Phantom objects that have overly complex collision meshs that create physics engine lag.

Are the objects this happens to in a linked set? If so, does this still happen to them when they aren't linked? OpenSim discards some object properties of objects that aren't the root object in a linked set (on region restart). That's why, for example, the None property value was created to enable objects in linked sets to behave like Phantom.
This building is 6 prims, including company logos, signs, etc, the main building is just a single prim mesh of only 1196 vertexes, so, its very efficient. This is the mesh that the glass is part of. The building is the root link.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please clone the object inworld and for that clone unlink all the prims, set the alpha for each object separately and restart the world. Were the values retained for the unlinked objects but were removed for the linked ones?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Selby Evans
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Please clone the object inworld and for that clone unlink all the prims, set the alpha for each object separately and restart the world. Were the values retained for the unlinked objects but were removed for the linked ones?
I have delinked the linkset, and copied the building so there are now four copies facing each other at 1000 meters altitude in Naboo. I will link one set together this afternoon when I get back inworld.