exporting items to my computer

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Carol Tucker

Re: exporting items to my computer

Post by Carol Tucker »

What I did was to buy a region for a month, put all the items out, then create an OAR, then have said OAR uploaded to the Halycon world where I live. It worked for the most part -- there was one item that didn't translate over well so that was a loss.

As long as the creator has the items marked as "exportable" it works. Of course it is only for your own personal use!

good luck
These users thanked the author Carol Tucker for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerDot Matrix
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

just cogitating a thought...
are Estate Managers allowed to create an .oar of a world they do not own?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Shandon,

No, only World Managers can export their own world(s) to OAR files.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Carol TuckerShandon Loring
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

I suspected so... i was just too lazy to set up an alt with EM perms and test it! LoL
Thank you Ilan..
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Claire Paterson wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:05 am
Unfortunately, files with the oar extension can only be run by some software. They are not intended to be viewed by all users. ... Btw, you should be careful and don’t rename the extension to oar files or any others. This will not change the file type.
OpenSim OAR files are the same as .tar.gz compressed files. Duplicate the OAR file first (i.e. make a backup), then change the file extension to .tar.gz. Then use a decompression program to unzip the .tar.gz file. This will create a folder that contains all the assets that were saved in the OAR. The assets will be named by UUID rather than user friendly names.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Shandon LoringGraham MillsChristine Nyn
Christine Nyn

Post by Christine Nyn »

Claire Paterson wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:05 am
Unfortunately, files with the oar extension can only be run by some software...
They are doubly compressed, but are perfectly readable if you want to do so. First follow Dot's advice though...
Dot Matrix wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:26 pm
OpenSim OAR files are the same as .tar.gz compressed files. Duplicate the OAR file first (i.e. make a backup), then...
7-Zip will open an OAR with no problem. First open the OAR with 7-Zip. Then in the 7-Zip window right-click the file you see there, which should be the same name as your OAR, and select Open. At that point you will see folders named
assets
landdata
objects
settings
terrains

and a file named archive.xml which is really only of interest if you are reloading the OAR to a region.

assets contains all the scripts, sounds, animations, textures, bodyparts, mesh etc that were saved from the region but they are not named here, just distinguished by a uuid.

objects contains the information for for reconstructing all objects on the region and references the assets folder to do this.
The files in here are in XML format and if you do a search & replace where you look for >< and replace with > carriage-return < you will find the files are lengthy but readable. Search on <Name> in here and you can retrieve the names of any scripts, animations etc that are in the object. This isn't the place to explain how all aspects of the XML contribute to the reconstruction but you can certainly play around and see all the info in human readable form.

Unfortunately most textures were only ever named in an avatar's inventory so recovery of textures by name is unlikely, unless they were boxed or otherwise included in an object's inventory. The textures will also be in jp2 format so most people would need to find a conversion application before they could do much with them. IrfanView does a good job on most of them, Gimp could probably do it too if you are brave enough to tangle with it...
These users thanked the author Christine Nyn for the post:
Dot Matrix