exporting items to my computer

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Carol Tucker

Re: exporting items to my computer

Post by Carol Tucker »

I am in the Singularity viewer and when I go to "more" and then "more" the export option is grayed out

I have been able to save the textures - but the objects I purchased are still pending a resolution If I understand Ilan Tochner's reply, I have to create an OAR and I admit I have no idea how to do that....
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

To save an OAR on Kitely, do this:
  1. Go to https://www.kitely.com/myworlds and, in the row for the world you want to save as an OAR, click "Manage" in the Actions column on the right.
  2. Go to the "Files" tab in the dialog box that opens up.
  3. Click the "Export World" button. This will create an OAR file of your world.
  4. Once the OAR has been created, you will get a dialog box with a download link. Download the OAR file to your computer.
  5. (Optional, but useful) Check the "Export World Report" -- click the link for that, and the report will open in your web browser. The report tells you about any objects that were not included in the export. I usually save this report and keep it with the corresponding OAR (which I always rename to keep track of versions).
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerCarol TuckerChristine Nyn
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Carol Tucker wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:45 pm
The textures -- and the objects that I purchased -- arrived in a box. I have to open the box somewhere and cannot seem to do that
Just answering the box issue:

You can open a box anywhere by using the following method:

This method will allow you to copy items from a box to your inventory by wearing a box instead of rezzing it.

1. Create a folder in your inventory with the same name as the box (or a different name, it doesn't matter)

2. Wear the box

3. Right click and edit the box. (If you can't edit it, edit something else so the edit window appears, then click on your box to change the item you're editing)

4. Select the CONTENTS TAB

5. Select all items in the box contents and drag them to your new inventory folder.

6. Detach the box.

Hope this helps! : )
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post:
Ilan Tochner
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Carol Tucker wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:35 pm
If I understand Ilan Tochner's reply, I have to create an OAR and I admit I have no idea how to do that....
As you mentioned early on, you don't own a Kitely world... so it's not possible for you to save your items in an OAR. The OAR information is valid, but doesn't apply in your case.

In addition: Your initial post stated you're trying to save your textures to your computer. An OAR file is not the best way to do that... nor even a viable way. OAR files are used primarily for backing up entire worlds / regions. They are a large chunk of solid data where trying to identify textures and pull them separately to your hard drive would be close to impossible.

The viable way to save textures to your hard drive is stated in Shandon's post on page 1:

Select all the desired textures in your Inventory, then right click and choose SAVE AS. You'll have to do a bunch of left-clicking thereafter (depending on how many textures you're saving), but that's the way to do it. It allows you to save hundreds of textures per hour. : )

If your current viewer doesn't offer the SAVE AS option, download Firestorm just to use for texture saving. It has that option.
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post:
Carol Tucker
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Moonrise Azalee

Post by Moonrise Azalee »

I am not 100% sure with Singularity, but with Firestorm, you open the texture from your inventory and then choose the Save As button at the bottom.

These users thanked the author Moonrise Azalee for the post (total 3):
Zed deTremontCarol TuckerSnoots Dwagon
Carol Tucker

Post by Carol Tucker »

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. I was able to transfer the textures using the suggestions given previously, but am not able to do so with the objects I purchased. To transfer objects you do have to be able to make an OAR or have them delivered directly to the the grid, and neither is possible.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Carol,

If the items are exportable and have Transfer permissions then you can also teleport to another grid and give them to your desired avatar there, or have that avatar teleport into Kitely and have the transfer be done inside our own grid.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Carol Tucker
Carol Tucker

Post by Carol Tucker »

Thank you for that suggestion. The issue is the other world is not attached. Apparently the only resolution that would work is to buy a region in Kitely, and have an OAR made and download it that way
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Here's a suggestion to help minimise costs:

Wait until the last week of a calendar month, then set up a new Kitely Starter World -- flat land would be easiest. Kitely is very fair and only charges what is left of the month ($14.95 pro rata), so this cost would be roughly $3 or $4 dollars (even less if you leave it to the last couple of days).

Next, rez all the objects you want to transfer to your other grid.

Now save the OAR as explained above.

Then go to https://www.kitely.com/myworlds and click "Manage". Change the world type to "Stored World" before the end of the month. Kitely will then cancel the subscription cost, so you won't pay any more.

All Kitely accounts include one free Stored World, so you could keep the world in your account indefinitely and next time you want to transfer any purchases just change the Stored World back into a Starter World at the end of a calendar month and follow the same process.

See https://www.kitely.com/services for more details about the different types of world and how the subscriptions work.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 6):
Carol TuckerIlan TochnerSelby EvansSnoots DwagonShandon LoringChristine Nyn
Claire Paterson
Has thanked: 0

Post by Claire Paterson »

Unfortunately, files with the oar extension can only be run by some software. They are not intended to be viewed by all users. All my data was deleted from my computer last month. The reason was the incorrect work of the hard drive disk. Therefore, I had to make a raid data recovery. Btw, you should be careful and don’t rename the extension to oar files or any others. This will not change the file type. Only special conversion programs can do this. You may have an outdated version of the software if problems with oar still occur. Therefore, it is recommended to update OpenSimulator to the latest version.
Last edited by Claire Paterson on Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Claire Paterson for the post:
Christine Nyn