exporting items to my computer

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Carol Tucker

exporting items to my computer

Post by Carol Tucker »

How do I take the textures I have purchased and export/save them to my computer when I had them delivered to my Kitely avatar?
These users thanked the author Carol Tucker for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: exporting items to my computer

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Carol,

If you bought the items from Kitely Market with the Export permission then you can rez them inside your Kitely world and use the Export World function to download an OAR file of your world, which will also contain those textures.

See: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... plemented/
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Carol Tucker
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

unless i'm overlooking something in the question... which is possible..
an easy way is to simply 'open' the texture in your viewer, i.e. double-click it in your inventory, and it will open in a window in your viewer.
there will then be a SAVE AS button. If the button is greyed out then you don't have perms to save them, otherwise just click SAVE and it will download to your local computer.
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerCarol TuckerSnoots Dwagon
Carol Tucker

Post by Carol Tucker »

I do not own a "Kitely world"

Except that when I search for sandbox so I can rezz something? Every single one found in search - even the ones marked "public" give me an error message telling me that I "am not allowed to enter this world".
Last edited by Carol Tucker on Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carol Tucker

Post by Carol Tucker »

Shandon Loring wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:56 am
unless i'm overlooking something in the question... which is possible..
an easy way is to simply 'open' the texture in your viewer, i.e. double-click it in your inventory, and it will open in a window in your viewer.
there will then be a SAVE AS button. If the button is greyed out then you don't have perms to save them, otherwise just click SAVE and it will download to your local computer.

The textures -- and the objects that I purchased -- arrived in a box. I have to open the box somewhere and cannot seem to do that

Once the box is opened, I would have to save each individual texture one at a time? These packs are rather large....
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

If you're using a Kitey avatar then you should be able to teleport to our sandbox. To do so log into Kitely and press the Enter World button on this world page: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Il ... ts-Sandbox
Carol Tucker
Carol Tucker

Post by Carol Tucker »

Apparently there is something that I am not understanding.

Of the items I bought, let's use https://www.kitely.com/market/product/4 ... r=46405600 as an example. The listing shows that it is available to export. When I search that store for items available to export, that and the other purchases show up as available

In the inventory, I check the properties -- no copy, no modify, can transfer, export is grayed out So I got to the sandbox and rezzed the box - the individual items are all marked no copy, no modify, transfer is checked. There is no "export" option

So where do I go from here? is it a glitch? Or can it not be exported and I need to request a refund?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Carol,

Please reread the article I mentioned that explains how export permission works on Kitely. The export flag you may or may not see in your viewer doesn't reflect the item's actual exportability. If you bought the item from Kitely Market with export permission then it's exportable regardless of what the viewer may or may not show.
Carol Tucker
Carol Tucker

Post by Carol Tucker »

I have read the article - I guess what I need is a "how to" on creating an OAR to save items from a sandbox. All that I am finding online are directions on how to save an entire region and even those directions do not make any sense.

I'm sorry - this is the first time I've tried to do this using a product purchased from outside the world I am in. I really appreciate your time and patience with me
These users thanked the author Carol Tucker for the post:
Shandon Loring
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Hi Carol,
In the listing from Skye, it appears that the textures come packed in a single box.
So I believe you should be able to just export that box as an .oxp, then import it to your grid...
Something like this..

Rez the Box your textures came in (probably called "Skye Terrain Textures Ocean Sands")
Rt. Click on that box inworld
(on the pie menu_
Click More
Click More
Click Save As
Click Backup
Save As
(select a place on your computer to save it to)
It should offer to save a file called Object.oxp

Then you just need to import that into your grid, as follows:
Logged in to your grid:
BUILD>UPLOAD>IMPORT LINKSET
select the .oxp file you created above

you will be shown three check boxes, you must check UPLOAD CONTENT
I would suggest NOT checking "Do Not Attach Object" or "Restore Position"

click IMPORT

You should then have a box appear in your world that contains all the textures you just purchased.

That's the theory anyway, since I'm not sure of Skye's perms etc, not sure, but that is how it should work.

ONE OTHER OPTION
you can shift-click and select all the textures in your inventory, then rt. click any one of them and SAVE AS.
this should then save each of the texture files to a separate file on your computer.
BE AWARE THAT once you do that you will be click OK/SAVE for each texture you selected, so if you selected a bunch of textures you will be click a bunch of times! lol

And last thought...
You are very brave learning all the fun new things! Good on you!!!

And next to last thought...
Most of Storylink Radio's properties are set so anyone can rez.
Storylink Mall has bunches of freebie stuff, largely Linda Kellie stuff, but it's all in one place at least! So you can grab stuff there, rez it right there, and SAVE AS for your own grid.
grid.kitely.com:8002:STORYLINK MALL

And, shameless plug, we'd love it if you might consider attending STORYLINK RADIO live storytelling sessions, like the upcoming one this week...
https://stories-2021.blogspot.com/2011/ ... t-7pm.html
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Carol TuckerIlan Tochner