teleporting out of an Always On region gives problems

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Christine Nyn

teleporting out of an Always On region gives problems

Post by Christine Nyn »

Specifically Tessin. If I TP to the Kitely Welcome Centre or the Kitely Merchants Sandbox from Tessin there is a long delay, then I arrive at the destination, then I get logged out every single time. This doesn't happen when I make the transfer from other regions.

I've tried different viewers but that doesn't help. The owner of Tessin also tried TPing to the Sandbox at my request and also crashed.

So, is there something that a 8x8 region does, or perhaps an always-on region, that is different or puts more load on the viewer or on the connection?
Last edited by Christine Nyn on Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Christine Nyn for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: teleporting out of an Always On region gives problems

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Christine,

Teleporting between regions in OpenSim can cause viewer disconnects or hangs when teleporting from a region that contained a lot of assets as the viewer needs to remove all those assets after it completes the teleport process. Assets don't get removed from memory before the viewer completes the teleport process in order to enable you to quickly return to the region you're leaving if the teleport fails for some reason.

The problem is that this can freeze the viewer while it's happening and if that continues for enough time then the viewer gets disconnected from the server. Whether or not that happens depends on how fast your computer is, how much free RAM it has installed, and the amount of assets that the viewer handled while it was inside the region you teleported from.

In other words, it's not a function of worlds being on demand or always on but rather that Dedicated Server worlds (which can be up to 8x8 regions in size) often include a lot more assets than smaller worlds.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Christine Nyn
Christine Nyn

Post by Christine Nyn »

Given that the root cause of the delay is likely to be the purging of references to assets in the viewer this is highly likely to present a problem with the Dedicated Server worlds on a continuing basis. Would there be any possibility of introducing a conditional longer delay before disconnection when TPing out of such worlds?

Perhaps using the Kitely Transfer Stations as an intermediate step would be a solution as quite long delays appear to be well tolerated there.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The discconect is likely viewer-side due to a timeout from the last time the viewer recieved a keepalive from the server. This isn't something we can fix on our end.