Vehicles won't move when sitting or boarding

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Trouble Ahead

Vehicles won't move when sitting or boarding

Post by Trouble Ahead »

We found problems with using vehicles.
When sitting on a ship or balloon, no matter what script is used, and you try to move your vehicle ( with HUD, or with arrows on keyboard, does not make a difference ) it won't move at all. To solve the problem is moving the vehicle a little in edit mode, then the HUD or keys will work and vehicles will listen to the commands given.
Atm new people do not understand why vehicles don't work and I have to give an instruction " while sitting, drag your ship in edit mode a little bit and it will work "
We made wonderful working ships and its a bit annoying we need to do this first to get things moving, so my question is: anyone else dealing with this problem, and most important: how can this be solved?
( Problem was not noticed before some months ago)

Thank you
These users thanked the author Trouble Ahead for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerGusher CastaignedeChristine Nyn
Ilan Tochner

Re: Vehicles won't move when sitting or boarding

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Trouble,

What physics engine is your world using? Have you tested this using the other physics engine options we provide?
Trouble Ahead

Post by Trouble Ahead »

running Ubode, we did not test the other option. Schips won't function properly on that. BTW , this issue is not acting up constantly, but it does often ( sorry for forgetting to mention this ) It happens with all players using the vehicles in our world .
Gusher Castaignede

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

Am guessing updating the scripts with script reset on rezzing or in the hud or touch menu may improve ease of use... Kitely's auto sim shut off may be affecting them...its' sync..
These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post:
Ilan Tochner
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Gregg Legendary

Post by Gregg Legendary »

maybe.. and remember im not a great scriptor but if your using pose scripts to sit , maybe add a linkmessage to reset the other scripts as a bandaide fix?
Trouble Ahead

Post by Trouble Ahead »

I still don't understand why moving the vehicle, in edit, solves the problem. Thats not a script reset at all. And after moving the ship all works. I dont see the connection with resetting scripts nor the world that restarts. It simple sitting on a ship, giving it commands, not standing up, just drag the ship in edit mode and the problem is solved.
Gusher Castaignede

It clearly shows it loses sync but when you do that it re-syncs... I wonder if the scripts are scripted to automaticly check message command events like once a day... a keep alive mode unless a manual method from hud can be added... the way you do it is olkskool, but it works! :D
Trouble Ahead wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:39 pm
I still don't understand why moving the vehicle, in edit, solves the problem. Thats not a script reset at all. And after moving the ship all works. I dont see the connection with resetting scripts nor the world that restarts. It simple sitting on a ship, giving it commands, not standing up, just drag the ship in edit mode and the problem is solved.
Christine Nyn

Post by Christine Nyn »

Trouble Ahead wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:43 pm
...We found problems with using vehicles.
When sitting on a ship or balloon, no matter what script is used, and you try to move your vehicle ( with HUD, or with arrows on keyboard, does not make a difference ) it won't move at all. To solve the problem is moving the vehicle a little in edit mode, then the HUD or keys will work and vehicles will listen to the commands given...
If you're using Firestorm try going back to a version earlier than 6.6.14 and see if the problem is still there. There's been some discussion elsewhere about a similar problem and this suggestion came up.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

There is probably something in the combination of the physics engine and viewer version that you're using that is using some cached or uninitiated data. If that's the case then that data my be fixed once you force the physics engine to reload the data by dragging around the object after accesing its properties in Edit mode.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

....a little investigative work to pinpoint the cause starting with a fresh viewer install, but clearing cache first...
These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post:
Ilan Tochner