Suggestions for the Website Home Page

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Gusher Castaignede

Re: Suggestions for the Website Home Page

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

Invision board, vbulletin... but at Discord Kitely live group discussions will grow, believe me... it's compact, free, and works on many devices... plus you will get lotsa exposure... publicity. The forums here are ok but the new generation and modern form of communication are over there... it is faster and best for project planning. If privacy matters, you can direct users to use this forum instead....

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:55 pm
Hi Gusher,

Discord is a great platform for what it does (group discussions) but it is a lot less useful as an evolving knowledge base. Most of the questions in our forums are of the How Do I / Can I do something variety and those are best handled in some forums-like format that people can drill-down into (which our forums have), preferably with good working search functionality (which is a weak spot with the forums solution we currently use). My current workaround is Googling: Kitely forums +SearchTerm (but that is far from ideal).
These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post:
Ilan Tochner
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Ilan,
As you well know, sometimes in business, you won't make everyone happy 100% of the time. I think a good photographer would provide you with "20-30+" roughs", then let you choose 5 or so that you like. From that many "roughs" you are surely able to find 5 that you like. After you choose the photos you like then they could be tweaked to look their very best. I wouldn't let the remote possibility that you won't like all of their photos stop you from making much need updates to the physical appearance of the website. Just think of it as making a business decision. Lots of websites get facelifts every few years, it keeps them looking current.
Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:37 pm

Well, the problem with that is that if we ask a good photographer to help and we don't like the result after they've spent all the time and effort creating these images then we end up alienating them, which we really don't want to do...
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post:
Chris Namaste
VISIT FOUR WINDS ON THE MARKET
VISIT FOUR WINDS INWORLD: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Coopersville/909/907/21
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

If you move all of our account information to a drop-down under our name then you don't have to hide anything, just scoot forums up to the top of the list.

Here is an example of what I mean:

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:07 pm
Hi Dot and Koshari, you commented on similar things so I'll combine my answer.

My Worlds always appears for people who are logged in but isn't shown to people who are not. Similarly, when you aren't logged in the entire My Account and My Store sections aren't included in the Go to (on desktop) / hamburger menu (on mobile).

There is a lot of research about click through rates for links and menu actions based on how many clicks a user needs to do to reach them. Currently our entire site is available within two clicks with the max depth being clicking the Go to / hamburger menu then selecting the desired page. Similarly, the more options a person is given on a page the less likely they are to click on any option so adding another top-level option is not without cost. We don't want to hide important frequently-used pages in a place where people are less likely to find them but we also have to consider the effect of crowding the main navigation bar.

We can't hide the Terms and Privacy policies any deeper without breaking some consumer protection and/or privacy regulations in some of the countries we service. So while a well organized page / wizard to help you find information on our website would be great it can't come at the expense of making these two pages harder to reach.

Moving the legally required pages (Terms, Privacy, About) to be just above Contact and thus below Forums in the list is an option I'm not ruling out. It should be simple to do but I'm really not sure it will have any impact. In any case we'll want FAQ and Documentation to go above it as we want to nudge people to seek answers there first. Whether or not to place Forums above Blog is a different question and TBD.
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixChris Namaste
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

I don't really have an opinion on this or not. Discord seems to be similar to Slack, which I've used quite a lot for organizations. The Channel feature allows the owner to create different topics, much like the different categories do here. The owner can choose who can view what channels and who can comment on which channels. As an archive, this functions well because you could have just as many channels as you want like #general #support #content creation etc... If something was super important it could be moved to Kitely wiki or FAQs. Again, I don't know if Discord is similar to Slack or not but it seems similar to me. Again, I don't really have an opinion on if this is what Kitely should do or not.
Gusher Castaignede wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:36 pm
Invision board, vbulletin... but at Discord Kitely live group discussions will grow, believe me... it's compact, free, and works on many devices... plus you will get lotsa exposure... publicity. The forums here are ok but the new generation and modern form of communication are over there... it is faster and best for project planning. If privacy matters, you can direct users to use this forum instead....

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Hi Gusher,

Discord is a great platform for what it does (group discussions) but it is a lot less useful as an evolving knowledge base. Most of the questions in our forums are of the How Do I / Can I do something variety and those are best handled in some forums-like format that people can drill-down into (which our forums have), preferably with good working search functionality (which is a weak spot with the forums solution we currently use). My current workaround is Googling: Kitely forums +SearchTerm (but that is far from ideal).
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

The real question is who, who is willing to volunteer to manage, open a discord server for kitely, time is precious, but the right candidate must be knowledgeable managing and setting up a Discord channel, creators really don't have that much time as it's spent on creating.. its just something to ponder if whether it moves forward....

Koshari Mahana wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:47 pm
I don't really have an opinion on this or not. Discord seems to be similar to Slack, which I've used quite a lot for organizations. The Channel feature allows the owner to create different topics, much like the different categories do here. The owner can choose who can view what channels and who can comment on which channels. As an archive, this functions well because you could have just as many channels as you want like #general #support #content creation etc... If something was super important it could be moved to Kitely wiki or FAQs. Again, I don't know if Discord is similar to Slack or not but it seems similar to me. Again, I don't really have an opinion on if this is what Kitely should do or not.
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:36 pm

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Hi Gusher,

These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post:
Koshari Mahana
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Definitely not me! lol
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:55 pm
The real question is who, who is willing to volunteer to manage, open a discord server for kitely, time is precious, but the right candidate must be knowledgeable managing and setting up a Discord channel, creators really don't have that much time as it's spent on creating.. its just something to ponder if whether it moves forward....
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

At least would be happier to see this forum system updated to either spankn brand new VBULLETIN or INVISION Board... lol
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

We're not likely to replace the forums any time soon, we don't want to lose posts, split the existing knowledge base or divide the Kitely community between two different channels. That said, I agree that the current forums system is far from ideal so we'll definitely consider our options for the upcoming new offering when the time comes.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Koshari MahanaChris Namaste
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Koshari Mahana wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:38 pm
If you move all of our account information to a drop-down under our name then you don't have to hide anything, just scoot forums up to the top of the list.
Thank you Koshari, we've implemented your suggestion.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Dot MatrixChris NamasteMin Tigerpaw
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Thank you very much for doing this, Ilan and Oren. It makes it really speedy to get to the forums now from the main web pages.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerChris Namaste