Chat range extension beyond 20m

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Shandon Loring

Re: Chat range extension beyond 20m

Post by Shandon Loring »

Excellent Don & Kurtis! Thank you!
I'm not sure about that exorbitant price though.. free? well... okay.. i guess i can afford that!
:D

I'm sorry I probably won't be able to make the Sunday Community meeting, but please know that Seanchai is very pleased that the Community meetings continue and thank everyone that is able to participate and is doing great things for all of us!

And.. of course.. thank you Ilan and Dot et al.
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerDon Smith
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

Hi All.

Ilan agree's that a scripted item should be tried first to solve the majority of peoples chat extending needs. I will be testing the final release version this week and will update this post with any further information.

THANKs to Everyone who provided feedback and suggestions about this community concern.
These users thanked the author Don Smith for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Moonrise Azalee

Post by Moonrise Azalee »

Good, glad to hear this. Having a wider chat range would have been a real pain in the butt. I don't want to read conversations that others are having from my own home. And as I mentioned - without parcel privacy being an option, roleplay doesn't work well if you are having a scene at the pub and a scene down the street a bit at a hospital. The dialogue gets rather messy and confusing. Kitely prices make for a large land space option and makes for a very encouraging roleplay environment so it would be disappointing to have more obtrusive local chat.
These users thanked the author Moonrise Azalee for the post:
Don Smith
Kurtis Anatine

Post by Kurtis Anatine »

Shandon Loring wrote:
Mike Lorrey wrote: I think extending the range only because of some edge cases is a waste and could lead to more problems than they solve.
I understand Mike's thoughts here, but I would bicker a bit with the comment of "some edge cases" by noting that a large amount of the activities we see in Kitely are live performers, hence negating the 'edge cases' concept.
(or heck, even the Sunday Community Meeting)

That said, a chatter repeater device (ala Kurtis) would probably meet the need, I know that kind of thing would certainly help us at shows to alert people to the "kitely kick" so they don't get booted before the end of the show! :-)
(we already use a Green Flash that goes off every 30 minutes during the performance to alert folks that they need to get up and do a jig or type in local chat or something)

And if it could be set by the sim owner as a parameter of the sim, that would be especially cool. then no additional script or device needed. especially necessary that we don't require our attendees to load up or wear a device.

AND... we must all keep in mind the load on Ilan and Oren our demi-gods and the time and energies they have to utilize where they best see fit.

Thank you Overseers!
Oh! Shandon I think voice activated gestures might help with that too! Ill throw you one. You would be the best tester for that!
Serene Jewell wrote:I always prefer the simple solution that is the least hassle for the most people. Most of opensim is used to the 20m limit. A groovy chat extender that a land owner could install and control would be preferable to breaking the established norm IMHO. You just never know how people are already utilizing the current standard. For example, if I were going to rent, I would automatically keep parcels at least 20m from each other so they have a chance to chat quasi privately. Who knows how many scripts have already been written with the established norm of 20m?

So I vote for extending the chat range with a good old fashioned chat repeater script in a box rather than a global grid change.
Yeah!
These users thanked the author Kurtis Anatine for the post:
Don Smith
Owl Eyes

Post by Owl Eyes »

Don Smith wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:09 am
Hi All.

Ilan agree's that a scripted item should be tried first to solve the majority of peoples chat extending needs. I will be testing the final release version this week and will update this post with any further information.

THANKs to Everyone who provided feedback and suggestions about this community concern.
Before I buy (I am _very_ poor) your system at Kitely Market and test it, a question here:

Do you use individual IM or open chat for duplication?
If the first: can you give info about the relevance of the resulting script lag?
If the latter: how do you avoid double duplications [concerning the "overlapping radiusses" model]?

Second statement, concerning @Ilan:
The chat range setting can reside in the region.ini config file, so there is no need to set it gridwide, and should be easy to make it configurable/ settable by region owner (only region restart necessary) … the infrastructure (esp. web interface) for that should already exist, doesn't it?
This solution seems the most easy, reliable and consistent solution to me.
These users thanked the author Owl Eyes for the post:
Shandon Loring
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

There are a couple of chat extenders on the market

https://www.kitely.com/market?cat=51501

Haven't tried it but there's also a public domain implementation here

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/ParcelChatRelay

I was able to get it to compile in Kitely by changing the name of variable d to d1 in lines 165-6
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerOwl Eyes