Best design for our new logo will earn $545 at 99designs

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Ilan Tochner

Re: Best design for our new logo will earn $545 at 99designs

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Lawrence,

It isn't attractive for most designers from first world countries were wages are high but it's obviously attractive to many designers from countries were wages are low. Some of them are very talented and have won hundreds of contests on that site. For those top designers the wages from participating in this format are quite good even in western standards. We were hoping to attract those people by going for the site's gold package.

The problem with going with just one designer is that you pay upfront for work which you don't know will be good. By having a contest you may get less effort from each designer but you get a lot more concepts to choose from. Then you move to the final round were only up to 6 designers participate and therefore should, at least in theory, be willing to make the refinements you want to their submissions.

Whether that is good or bad to the design profession is a question of who you ask, it makes it a lot easier for unknowns to get work in the field and start building a portfolio. Great designers can also win a lot of contests so they too can profit from this model. It's not clear cut what effect this has on designers overall.
Lawrence Pierce

Post by Lawrence Pierce »

I'm not in complete agreement with your assessments. However, my initial question was in response to what I read as your own doubts about the process, whereas I see now that you were simply summarizing who would benefit most, and that this is consistent with your intentions. Thank you for taking time to respond.
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Loving the designs from Kangkinpark. Also Sony's single-chromatic block letter design with the suggestion of a white kite in the empty space. Both are clean, bold, memorable. Good form. Either of these would be an exciting, energizing refresher for the Kitely brand.

The other designs are nice, but either look too much like the old design, or seem like they might be more fitting on a box of detergent.
Last edited by Sierra Jakob on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Sierra Jakob for the post (total 2):
Paislee MyrtleOzwell Wayfarer
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Paislee Myrtle

Post by Paislee Myrtle »

My favorite by far is sony 727. The big blocky text looks stable, substantial, and clean. The kite shaped void catches your eye then you notice the suggestion of a kite tail; not often you see a design that has gravitas and whimsy. I love all of the variations in this entry.

If I were making the decision this particular design would be IT. It's got class and grit. I'd be proud to own Kitely t-shirt, mug, or whatever with this logo on it!
These users thanked the author Paislee Myrtle for the post (total 2):
Sierra JakobOzwell Wayfarer
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Yes, I agree, Paislee--that's the one I meant (though the #'s seem to change). I edited my comment above to be more specific. I didn't even see the more colorful options Sony entered.
These users thanked the author Sierra Jakob for the post:
Paislee Myrtle
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

As this needs to have a good impact on future users as well, we ran a Google Surveys of 500 people in the US (cool and quite affordable tool BTW) comparing 4 different variations of the sony design with the tail. The winner by a big margin was one where the i's dot and the ribbon on the tail were orange and the rest was blue.

We then compared the winning sony design in another Google Survey of 500 people in the US to the following Kangkinpark logo with the L and Y kerning fixed to be a bit more spaced out and the colors adjusted to be the same as in the sony design (to eliminate color bias in the selection):

https://99designs.com/logo-business-car ... ntries/735 (adjustments not included in this listing)

The winner by a big margin in all demographics was the Kangkinpark logo so that is the one we'll go with.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 5):
oopsee joseppeConstance PeregrineDeuce HalseySierra JakobMarstol Nitely
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I like it-))
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Deuce Halsey
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Very cool idea to do the survey! Personally, I'm pretty impressed with this whole process, actually. For yet another project, one just has to say: "Nicely done, Kitely." <insert applause here> :)
These users thanked the author Sierra Jakob for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Margot Muffen

Post by Margot Muffen »

It's fine logo :)
(only-I would like to see it in other colours, maybe with blue a bit reddish)