12 Suggestions From A New User To Kitely & OpenSim Worlds

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Dundridge Dreadlow

Re: 12 Suggestions From A New User To Kitely & OpenSim World

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

combat zombies ?! :) Sounds simple enough.

A lot of MMO stuff is possible, depending on what you expect... :) We have a lot more tech capabilities in Kitely than over in SL. I've already got a good chunk of tech available, it's just a point of gathering everyone together, motivating them, finding the time..

PS - you probably haven't seen most of what is possible here. Seriously.
(I didn't say it was easy)
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post (total 2):
Paislee MyrtleSelby Evans
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Lexi Alyssi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lexi Alyssi »

Leela Amura wrote:As a brand new user to Kitely as well as opensim virtual worlds I have a few suggestions you may strongly consider.

1. You need to advertise MUCH more! I had searched many websites to find something like Kitely and only after hours of searching did I find Kitely.. It was hard to find it in the search engine, and the name "Kitely" alone isn't enough to tell me that it's a virtual world so there's a chance I may have skipped over it. :?

2. You need to prominently display on Kitely's homepage that not only are you (MUCH!) cheaper than the competition but also that content creators retain ALL of their rights to anything they upload and that all uploads are FREE! :D

3. There needs to be a MUCH better way of finding active sims..I've been to quite a few now and I have not found a single person the entire time I've been in Kitely!(hours).. :cry: Many people that log in will surely notice that there is noone around, leave and never return!

4. There needs to be a more streamlined way of obtaining your password as well as obtaining a viewer and also logging into Kitely. For myself I did not even realize that the in game password was SEPARATE from the website's password and was wondering why I couldn't log in! I had to do much clicking around the website to find out that I had a separate password.. The initial tutorial box that pops up when you first join the site disappeared on me and I couldn't get it to appear again, and may have explained some of this..but since it disappeared it was of no use. Also, I did not really understand how to enter Kitely's grid URL in the viewer to connect to it.. Fortunately I'm usually very patient, but any potential user's will surely get impatient with these hassles I've mentioned and just give up. This is why if you ever notice many people join the website but never log in to Kitely, these may be the main reasons why!

5. Make Kitely attractive to people who play videogames & MMOs. A lot of people LOVE playing Massively Multiplayer Online Games and "living" and playing in those virtual worlds. They are capable of building huge communities and attracting business. So I ask you, what would make them want to come to Kitely? A virtual world in itself is not going to entice many to be here. Skills, proper NPCs, proper combat, adventure, these are things most virtual worlds like Kitely & Second Life lack. There's a chance you may be able to change that and if so I know that many more people would try and stay in Kitely. For many people who play videogames, something like Kitely's current form is nothing more than a boring chatroom!.. but once you add mechanics like skills, crafting, combat, etc those users will stick around and have much more fun! You may say that one could simply add those things by creating/scripting them for their own simulation, except that, unfortunately something like that would never be good enough unless it was hard coded into Kitely itself and also could match modern MMOs combat mechanics and such. Even "The Sims" known as one of the most popular virtual world simulations has proper skills, NPCs & adventure. If you add game mechanics to Kitely, it will surely become a competitor to not only virtual worlds/grids but also online games due to it's sandbox nature and the lack of sandbox games in the online gaming sector in general. For those who are not interesting in gaming, it can be ignored entirely seeing as sim owners can choose what they want on their sims and enable or disable functionality of it.

6. You need to display pictures of attractive human beings using Kitely & their avatars on the homepage to show people checking out Kitely that a virtual world isn't only for a "stereotypical group of people." The group you will want to advertise to are people who might have thought of trying a virtual world but thought it's too 'geeky' or such. I'm sure there's quite a lot of them, and you need to make them feel like it won't effect their image or peace of mind by trying Kitely!

7. Allow people to search for groups, events and places using the in game search! It's very easy and common to use the in game search in Second Life to find things, but it does not work in Kitely! Why? This is a big part of the functionality of a virtual world and it's missing!

8. In terms of the homepage, most people, especially those unfamiliar with virtual worlds don't even know what "prims" are and that they stand for primitive objects, and even then most people won't understand what that means unless you explain it properly. Some people also honestly won't even realize if they see the homepage that Kitely is a virtual world they can explore just like Second Life is! So explaining things more in-depth on the home page will alleviate this potential problem. Hypergrid Business (http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2013/1 ... confusing/) points this out very well by saying "Even Kitely’s home page looks more like that of a hosting company than a grid. Grid websites typically feature attractive images of people enjoying in-world amenities and announcements for upcoming events, while urging visitors to sign up for a free account and visit the grid. Kitely’s home page calls on visitors to get their “own virtual worlds,” with a choice of pricing options.
If you didn’t know that what Kitely calls “worlds” are actually regions on a grid, you might, in fact, get the impression that Kitely was a hosting company and a not a grid." I couldn't agree with them more as this is actually what I had thought when I first stumbled onto the website..

9. Mention on the homepage that the people who run Kitely are active in the community and actually respond to users in the forums! That is something that will entice many new users from other competitors seeing as from my research, many other grids have people running them who never communicate with their users.

10. Allow us to upload sounds longer than 10 seconds and preferably up to 5 minutes long! It would be nice not to have to split up songs that we create into small 10 second portions and upload each part of it!

11. The website design and layout while being clean, is certainly not attractive to me and does not look very professional compared to others I have seen. Improving it will become more attractive to new users as well as current end users.

12. Integrate mesh model creation tools into Kitely at some point. This is something I'm sure many people would love to see and even if you honestly tell people that you plan to implement it at some point and are serious, that alone will entice people to join Kitely. Many people won't like having to use third party programs to create mesh models(while surely a nice option to have) to do something which is a staple of creation in these virtual worlds. Having the potential of more attractive content for people to use, buy & sell is never a bad thing!

Final Note:
From my time in Kitely, I have come to this conclusion, Second Life is dying and Kitely is THE new frontier. Virtual worlds in general have yet to take off, and I know they will take off soon because of the virtual reality headsets & technology that is and has been developed and pushed to everyday consumers. When a virtual world like Kitely partners up with these virtual reality developers, content creators will start making more money than ever. It won't happen tomorrow but it WILL happen at some point in the near future.

Thank you for reading this and I wish Kitely success! :D
I just signed up and i'll give some suggestions in this thread.

I agree with point 4. This is absolutely ridiculous. The password should be the same as the one you signed up with on the website. It's an unneccesary step to have to change it after signing up.
I disagree with point 6. You don't need attractive people/avatars. You need to show how to customize your avatars. There are no inworld tutorials or anything, which brings me to another suggestion.

My suggestions: There needs to be a serious overhaul to the Kitely Welcome Center. Avatars are loaded in, with no clue as to what to do, and it's very empty, with nobody to help. There isn't any billboards that explain anything either. I've been to other grids, and they explain how to get started. One of the better starting areas i've seen so far, is on Littlefield grid. It has tutorials on billboards explaining the basics.

Another suggestion: Offer free shopping landmarks and teleport signs to freebies. This will keep people around, and get them familiar with the basics of shopping and avatar customization. The Hall of Merchants doesn't belong there for new people. And why is a Linda Kellie Freebie Mall for premium members? That doesn't make any sense at all. I'm hoping this is a bug.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Lexi,

Thank you for your feedback.

We'll be changing the default grid login password for new users in the next release to be the same password they used to create their email/password based account. Accounts created using Twitter of Facebook will continue to get randomly generated passwords as we don't know what password people set in those sites. The ability to configure website access separately from grid login access will remain to allow teachers to create accounts for their students without giving their students the ability to configure those accounts.

The Linda Kellie Mall world in the world showcase is hosted by one of our users and not by Kitely. That world manager initially set the world to Regular Account access and changed it to Premium Account access later. The only two worlds in the world showcase which are provided by us are the Kitely Merchants Sandbox and the Universal Campus (which is one of the new world templates).
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Thanks, Lexi, for the feedback on the Welcome Center. Over the last couple of weeks we've been working on updating the current version, and in the future a Stage 2 version is planned that should address more of your concerns. (Reminder to all: the Stage 2 KWC needs someone to volunteer as project manager to get the ball rolling.)

A bit of background might help here: The audience assumed for the Stage 1 Welcome Center is experienced SL and OpenSim users who would know the basics. Therefore the billboards focused on using Kitely rather than how to walk, build and tweak your avatar. Some of these billboards need updating, and that is part of what we (a group of Kitely users, in discussion with Ilan) are working on.

However, there is at least one user-created world that does include the basic tutorials you suggest, and in a beautiful setting: Caitanya Rupa's Sri Isodhyana. Perhaps one of the existing info boards could point people to that world.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Selby Evans
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

How is the password assigned during the registration process? Via email?
Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Lexi,

Thank you for your feedback.

We'll be changing the default grid login password for new users in the next release to be the same password they used to create their email/password based account. Accounts created using Twitter of Facebook will continue to get randomly generated passwords as we don't know what password people set in those sites. The ability to configure website access separately from grid login access will remain to allow teachers to create accounts for their students without giving their students the ability to configure those accounts.

The Linda Kellie Mall world in the world showcase is hosted by one of our users and not by Kitely. That world manager initially set the world to Regular Account access and changed it to Premium Account access later. The only two worlds in the world showcase which are provided by us are the Kitely Merchants Sandbox and the Universal Campus (which is one of the new world templates).
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Graham,

People who create accounts using email/password define their grid login password when they define their account (website) login password. We only ask the user to define one password and use that for setting both these passwords.

People who create accounts using Twitter/Facebook are asked to define their grid password separately during the account creation process. There is no need for a Kitely account login password as login is controlled by authentication with these third-party services.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Graham Mills
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

So many good suggestions!
Serenity: I built a shark in SL years ago that turns towards avatars and bites them. But the build is a little embarrassing: A sculpted sharks head with a flat flexie body/tail. I always claimed that the simple build was OK because the BEHAVIOR of the animal made them feel more realistic. The shark would slowly swim through the water, head turning back and forth. But then when it came within range of an avatar it would suddenly turn straight at you and speed up! Chills run down my spine even though I know the details of the vector math that creates the behavior. If you don't swim out of the way and it passes through your avatar, it leaves particle blood in the water. Of course now I should write a spear-gun and let you defend yourself...

Keith: You are building a cannon! I wrote a cannon ball script that splashes when it hits the water and makes flame colored particles when hitting a prim or the terrain. I published it in the InWorldz forum and the "pirate community" went crazy with it, building gunboats and having battles at sea. I'll put my cannonball script in the library here, look for it! And take one of your cannon to the archery range on my SIM Panthalassa and tell me how the cannonballs work when they hit my targets.
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post (total 2):
Selby Evansoopsee joseppe
oopsee joseppe

Post by oopsee joseppe »

Thinking, would a list of "helpers" for anyone to im with questions about "how to" or ??? be fun? Could be a board showing these "volunteers" with "online status" so anyone with a question could contact for information or help - to be able to contact someone at the instant help is needed?
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

I have a couple of options that might suit this..

mentors can wear an "on duty" item that displays their profile or whatever on an active mentors board..
mentors can wear (or have an in-world thing) that displays new users or something at KWC to beam over and scare them.
..some combination of both ?
..just beam to KWC and find a seat and watch TV or check facebook or whatever.
..volunteers get tired quickly..
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
oopsee joseppe
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.