Understanding Kitely Prices

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Serene Jewell

Understanding Kitely Prices

Post by Serene Jewell »

Maria Korolov has done a wonderful job of describing the confusion a person can experience when trying to decide what kind of Kitely account to get. Article here: http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2014/0 ... tter-deal/.

I think this confusion is stopping some people from setting up a free account and dipping their toe into Kitely. Being extremely stubborn, I made my way through it all by drawing myself a little chart back when I joined. When I saw Maria's article today I decided to type up my little chart and make a suggestion to the fine Kitely folks that you consider simplifying your web page with something like this. You can put all the fine print below the chart. Some people (like me) need a visual.

I assume this is not completely correct so please let me know what's wrong with my assumptions.
kitelyplandraft.png
edited Apr.22 2014
Last edited by Serene Jewell on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 7):
Freda FrostbiteMin TigerpawIlan TochnerSelby EvansMarstol NitelyDeuce HalseySpiral Silverstar
Dot Matrix

Re: Understanding Kitely Prices

Post by Dot Matrix »

Using a chart like that is a good way to work through the options -- thanks for posting it.

In the Regions row, a Standard World can be a single region or a 2x2 megaregion. An Advanced World can be a single region or a 2x2 or 3x3 or 4x4 megaregion.

I guess you joined before the plans changed at the beginning of this year, with the reference to "minutes". That is one of the concepts people found so confusing and off-putting, and that Kitely was trying to eliminate with the new plans. Perhaps we need to try to find a different phrase to express this so that the baggage of the past doesn't weigh down potential newcomers -- "Time inworld" maybe?. This applies to the two rows "Owner minutes" and "Visitor minutes". It might help to move these rows to the bottom of the table.

Having said that, in the row "Owner minutes", Regular account holders get 6 free hours total for use in their own Worlds. Each hour in their own worlds after that costs 60 KC.

Regular account holders get a full Metered World, capable of holding 100 avatars and 100K prims.

Additional Metered Worlds cost 10 KC per day (so roughly 300 KC per month).

There are different levels of discount associated with buying KC. Most people seem to use 1 USD = 300 KC, which you get when you buy $50 worth. However, the lowest rate is 1 USD = 200 KC (for $5 worth), and buying $20 worth of KC gives 1 USD = 250 KC. This has implications for paying for time inworld:
  • If you buy $5 of KC at a time, for each USD you get 200 ÷ 60 = 3 hours 20 minutes inworld.
  • If you buy $20 of KC at a time, for each USD you get 250 ÷ 60 = 4 hours 10 minutes inworld.
  • If you buy $50 (or more) of KC at a time, for each USD you get 300 ÷ 60 = 5 hours inworld.
The last option gives the 20 cents per inworld hour most people quote.

Looking at the new Services page, Fixed-price Worlds incur a 150 KC charge if they are copied, but not for exporting or uploading OARs.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 6):
Freda FrostbiteMin TigerpawDundridge DreadlowMarstol NitelyDeuce HalseySpiral Silverstar
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

I love the chart, love the article and LOVE Dot's clarification. Based on this new information (new because a chart makes things a LOT clearer), my partner and I are deciding to change our Kitely plans. We will have more land and both be premium members. The chart really IS the best way to explain the plans and costs I think. Well done.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

Thanks for your thoughtful comments, Dot. Here is another version based on your comments. I still find the KC to be confusing when trying to compare these plans, so I would suggest Kitely place the KC to USD conversion rate directly beneath a chart should they choose to use one.
kitely-plans-V2.png
Edited Apr. 22, 2014
Last edited by Serene Jewell on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixMin Tigerpaw
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Nearly there -- thanks, Serene!

Price: Premium is $19.95 (sorry, I didn't spot this one before)
Regions: Standard 1 or 4; Advanced 1, 4, 9 or 16 (with footnotes (1) and (2) -- the worlds can't be any other numbers of regions)
Owner Time Inworld: 6 free hours (total -- it's not per month)

Two more suggested footnotes:
(3) If you buy 15,000 KC for $50, then 150 KC is equivalent to $0.50.
(4) If you buy 15,000 KC for $50, then 60 KC is equivalent to $0.20.

Hope this helps!
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

Here's Version 3. I used the language of "up to 4" and "up to 16" because it seems easier to grasp. I can send this MSWord file to anyone who wants to make their own version of this chart without retyping. It could be prettier with a little formatting.
Kitelyplans-v3.png
Edited Apr 22, 2014
Last edited by Serene Jewell on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineHandy Low
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

..don't forget the lower end of the buying credits... it is probably MUCH more appealing to buy a small amount of KC than a large amount.
Specially if you are new, and "just testing it out". Personally I put in 5 USD on my first or second month.
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Dot Matrix
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

Good point, Dundridge. I'll edit it again this evening. I've never bought KC in blocks of $50 myself. And someone trying to figure out an inexpensive way to test out Kitely is more likely to want to see a smaller example purchase.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post:
Dot Matrix
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

(3) If you buy 1000 KC for $5, then 150 KC is equivalent to $0.75.
(4) If you buy 1000 KC for $5, then 60 KC is equivalent to $0.30.
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

kitelyplans-V4.png
Here is a link to the original MSWORD doc so no one has to retype it. Maybe someone would like to take it and make it pretty. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqi6t1kqwbjyo ... ns-V4.docx
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 4):
Sherrie MelodyDeuce HalseyMin TigerpawGhaelen DLareh