Badge/logo for hypergrid-enabled worlds

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Dot Matrix

Badge/logo for hypergrid-enabled worlds

Post by Dot Matrix »

At the Community Meeting of 30 April 2014, one of the items discussed was whether hypergrid-enabled Kitely worlds should have a special badge or logo on their Kitely world page.

Those at the meeting generally thought that having a badge was a good idea, though a couple thought it unnecessary.

The badges would be a quick visual cue showing which Kitely worlds are open to non-Kitely users.

The badge would indicate that a non-Kitely user can teleport via hypergrid into the world. If the world is offline, then hypergrid teleporting goes through a Kitely transfer station, similar to how Kitely users currently log into an offline world.

Ilan asked what the badge should look like. There isn’t any standard Hypergrid logo.

Several possibilities were suggested at the meeting, e.g. a star based on those in the Kitely transfer station, or a door, or …

It was agreed to discuss this further on the forum and/or more widely, e.g. among the OpenSim G+ community.

The badge needs to render well at 32x32 or 48x48. There should also be a simplified icon version of the HG badge that is 16x16, something that people familiar with the main badge will recognize.

So… over to you!
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Danko Whitfield
Marstol Nitely

Re: Badge/logo for hypergrid-enabled worlds

Post by Marstol Nitely »

I was mostly kidding about the Doctor Who Tardis (even though it does travel through space and time). What I've most often seen associated with HG are the "Stargate" type teleport rings. Basing it on the transfer station might be good though. The transfer station itself would reinforce the symbol. Whatever it is, if it leads to a working hypergate, I will be very happy!
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I'll mention it on the education list as well in case anyone has any ideas.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Selby Evans
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

My suggestion would be using the H as a door frame and the G as a handle. Whether that can be made to work visually in a square frame is anyone's guess. Will there be a mouseover tooltip or embedded link to alert the n00b as to its significance?
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Selby Evans
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

Just for the sake of trying:

48x48: Image 32x32: Image 16x16: Image
These users thanked the author Handy Low for the post (total 7):
Graham MillsDot MacchiSelby EvansDot MatrixIlan TochnerMarstol NitelyDeuce Halsey
Handy Low
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I used this image I found on one of my silly blog pages. Perhaps something along these lines?

and, btw, I have not seen any g+ stuff about this [but perhaps I am not cool enough, which is cool, as I am NOT cool, in any way, shape, or form................] [in fact, I avoid cool people as they give me an inferiority complex..............]
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Target audience: people already in a virtual world and with some knowledge about Hypergrid.

Possible themes: hypergrid/hypergate (HG), world-wide (spanning the globe), fast (Mercury, wings)

Stand-alone, self-explaining? Generally no, Pages that are hypergrid enabled will probably carry text encouraging HG people to come to the place.

I favor the design by Handy Low for a start: H in a receding tunnel. Emphasize the perspective, maybe with receding straight lines (like rails). Maybe put the H farther down the tunnel (see the 48x48) so that the depth is more apparent. Maybe put the letters

HGE

to replace the H. That give a text-friendly expression: (HGE). Type anywhere, search anywhere. IM anywhere:

OMG Kitely is HGE!!! -- SE , CU
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

I like the simplicity and clarity of Handy's logo as it is, without further embellishment.

Adding letters to it would weaken its strength as a design. For one thing, the letters would need to be reduced considerably in size to the point of being illegible at 16x16.

The actual shape of the single letter H in this sans typeface hints at Graham's door and handle.

Handy's design already suggests a tunnel receding into a distance by subtly gradating the thicknesses of the circles. Adding straight lines again would lessen the design's impact.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

The only problem with Handy's is that it reminds me a little of the helicopter landing-pad symbol (which would be a rather cool teleport gizmo in itself).
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

...on the other hand it is quite understated and the better for that if it's to be used inworld.