Need for 1000+ avatars region?

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Samantha Atkins

Need for 1000+ avatars region?

Post by Samantha Atkins »

There is supposedly open source mods for opensim to support 1000 avatars or more on a region. It is perhaps a worthwhile business to have a configuration on EC2 capable of being spun up for events needing this type of attendance capacity on demand. I am think virtual world conferences and such. Does Kitely have any plans to provide this type of world/service? It might be worth considering have such worlds of different sizes available on demand.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Need for 1000+ avatars region?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Samantha,

You're referring to Intel's Distributed Scene Graph module. We may offer such a service in the future but have no current plans to do so.
Serendipity Seraph

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Samantha,

You're referring to Intel's Distributed Scene Graph module. We may offer such a service in the future but have no current plans to do so.

Yes, that is the one. Perhaps if I get the time for the project I will attempt to produce a standalone on EC2 wired up for such. It would cost next to nothing outside development time to produce it, test it out and keep it in EC2 storage until a customer/event that needs it happens along. But it is one of way too many possible projects in my head. It bubbled to the top after the SecondLife Fiasco of the Back to the Future meeting on the future of the metaverse. As soon as more than 50 avatars showed up the sim crashed hard.

Yes, I have mentioned to the organizers that it would have done better on a Kitely regular region than that. :)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

How did they react to that Serendipity? :-)
Serendipity Seraph

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

Ilan Tochner wrote:How did they react to that Serendipity? :-)
Oh, you mean what the the organizers thing? They largely ignored the comment. Not sure why.

They lost a lot of people present who didn't note that the Google Hangout was going as an alternative. Better integration of inworld events, especially ones set up like conferences with other media like Hangouts would be a boon to many. But that is part of the general topic of physical world, online web and virtual world integration. I know that is something you think about a lot. :)