Permissions Question

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Jennifer Boyle

Permissions Question

Post by Jennifer Boyle »

I notice that some items that are for sale in the market are no-transfer export. I have looked through the FAQ and blog for more information and didn't find the answer to my question. Since exportable items can be taken to other grids, presumably including private grids running on people's PCs, how is the no-transfer permission enforced once the item have left Kitely, and, if it isn't, what is the point of making an exportable item no-transfer?
Ilan Tochner

Re: Permissions Question

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Jennifer,

The permissions first and foremost represent the license the merchant gives the buyer for handling the bought content. As you may know, there are various illicit tools ("copybots") using which people can copy content which they aren't legally allowed to use even without them buying the content at all. Kitely has no control over what people do with content once it is delivered outside our system but merchants retain the legal tools at their disposal, e.g. DMCA takedown notices and copyright infringement suits.

Selling content with Export permission but without Transfer permission means that the buyer can take the bought item with her to other grids but that she can't then legally transfer it to other people. For more details about the various ways the permission system is used to define a content licensing agreement, see the Proprietary Rights section of our Terms of Service: http://www.kitely.com/terms