Alert when someone enters a Kitely world?

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Tim Allen
Been thanked: 0

Alert when someone enters a Kitely world?

Post by Tim Allen »

Can I arrange a way to be alerted when someone enters my kitely world? I am a EFL teacher and would like to make my Kitely world available for students when they have a question or want a consultation. However I don't have the time to wait in the Kitely world for students to show up. Is it possible to get a message through email, facebook or an SMS text message letting me know that someone has entered my world so that I can check and see if they have a question for me? :?:
Bladyblue Bommerang

Re: Alert when someone enters a Kitely world?

Post by Bladyblue Bommerang »

Enable offline notifications through the Firestorm Viewer, Get an online indicator and place it where the students can see it. They click it and leave you a message that you get in your email.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Tim,

There isn't a built-in option but you can create a script that detects when people enter your world and either sends you an email (by calling llEmail) or sends you an SMS by contacting a third-party service (by calling llHTTPRequest).

For details see:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlHTTPRequest

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlEmail
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Tim Allen
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Hi Ilan

Is llEmail enabled now? I recall our discussing it previously on some other forum (I forget which).

Best wishes

Graham
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Tim Allen
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

If you don't have a server you could use the Pushover app for iOS and Android (one-time payment required). This can be driven via scripted email or llHTTPrequest (HTTPS) and allows you to script a notification that will appear on the specified Android or iOS device. Up to 50 notifications are stored in the app though there's no obvious way to retrieve them other than via screen grab on Android. If the app is closed, it can emit a custom sound when a notification is received. For some reason the app sometimes gets disabled by Google but it's easy enough to reenable. There is a limit on the number of notifications you can make before you have to pay -- 7500 iirc. See https://pushover.net/ for details.

In terms of the LSL script, you could set up a timer to retrieve a list of avatars in a region at 1 minute intervals using osGetAgents() and then maybe send a notification if the number increments. That might be a little less laggy than using a sensor unless you know precisely where the students will land. Of course, you could also construct a list of new avatars by comparison with the old and send that though there is a limit to the message size the notifications will sensibly handle.

I don't claim to be an expert but if you need help with the scripting let me know. There are free scripts for autogreeting that can be easily modified if need be though the above basics shouldn't take long from scratch. You just need to remember to allow for the fact that the region closes a few minutes after the last avatar leaves and hence you will need to start any sensor or timer using the changed event and CHANGED_REGION_START when the region fires up again.

Of course, you could do much the same for free with Blady's solution.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

this gives a landmark and notecard when touched and sends you an IM [which goes to your designated email address]

I suspect it could be modified to be sensor activated somehow...but it is very useful and I use it all the time-))

Code: Select all

//lm n nc giver

// This script will automatically detect the name of you landmark and notecard. 
// Just ensure that they are the only 2 things you put in the box with this script.

// This is the text you wish to be displayed above your object, leave blank if 
// you do not wish for anything to be displayed. To make a new line of text, 
// add '\n' to your text to tell the script to start a new line.

string HText = "Exhibition Info";

// This is the color you wish for the hover text to be displayed as. It is 
// currently red.

vector Color = <1,0,0>; 

// This is the transparency of the HoverText, 1 is solid, 0 is Transparent.

float Alpha = 1; 

//________________________________________________________________________

{ 
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetText(HText,Color,Alpha);
    }
    touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        llSay(0, "Thank you for requesting this information");
        llGiveInventory(llDetectedKey(0),llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_LANDMARK, 0));
        llGiveInventory(llDetectedKey(0),llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_NOTECARD, 0));
        llInstantMessage(llGetOwner(), "LandMark giver at " + llGetRegionName() + " has just been used by " +  llKey2Name(llDetectedKey(0)) + "!");
    }
    on_rez(integer start_param)
    {
        llResetScript();
    }
}
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 2):
Tim AllenMiriam Zhivago
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Tim Allen
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tim Allen »

Thanks for all your answers! It will take me a little bit to implement them and find out which one will work for me, but I appreciate the prompt help.