Testing an OAR creation? (Suggestion)

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Handy Low

Testing an OAR creation? (Suggestion)

Post by Handy Low »

Recently I've been trying to create an OAR file from a quite complex world, with lots of NPC notecards inside nested objects, etc, which have quite a long list of omitted objects in the Export World Report due to various permissions issues. It's proving to be quite a task.

Unfortunately, each time I want to test the OAR creation, it costs 150KC, which isn't a huge amount of money but it does add up when we are trying to fix errors and checking them each time.

Can I suggest an option to make the OAR creation fail if there are errors, with no cost to the user? I had in mind a checkbox ("Fail if errors" or something) on the "Export World" dialog so that people can still create partial OARs by default in the current manner.

Thoughts?
These users thanked the author Handy Low for the post:
Ramesh Ramloll
Handy Low
Ilan Tochner

Re: Testing an OAR creation? (Suggestion)

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Handy,

There is a cost associated with OAR file creation for Stored Worlds (and grandfathered Premium Worlds for those that still have that option) but there is no such cost for any of the fixed-price worlds (i.e. for Starter worlds, Standard Worlds, Advanced Worlds and for the grandfathered Legacy worlds). As that is the case, if you do a lot of exporting and/or importing of OAR files then you may wish to change that world to one of our fixed-price world types. Please note that there is a daily per-world rate limit for OAR file creation of fixed-price worlds but people who aren't trying to abuse the system have rarely encountered it.

As for your request, please note that we don't charge KC for Export World operations which fail, for whatever reason, to create an OAR file. However, having objects filtered out of an OAR file due to export restrictions is not an error, it is a content protection feature. In other words, you're charged KC because our system allocated the server resources to create an OAR file at your request and the OAR file you got is exactly what you should have gotten given the content you're trying to export. Please see: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... plemented/
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Ada Radius
Ramesh Ramloll

Post by Ramesh Ramloll »

Hello Ilan,
Would it not be user friendlier,for the user to get the report file ahead of time, then the user could be provided with a opportunity to confirm and then launch the oar export?
And I have to say the perms issue is not as obvious as it sounds, with notecards for NPCs pointing to other objects etc...
It is not humanly possible sometimes, to be able to know exactly the status of all permissions, there are issues that crop up during object transfers and so forth. The only way seems to try exporting and see what happens, and costs can add up ... while trying to debug export issues.
I hope you can see things from our angle on this one.
Ramesh
These users thanked the author Ramesh Ramloll for the post:
Handy Low
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

That's a possibility Ramesh, but it would still require starting the world and running the export report function, both of which can consume quite a lot of server resources while they are running (they take up at least one world slot on a server while they're running, max out CPU for those slots to complete this operation as quickly as possible, and may require us to provision an additional server from Amazon so that we'll have enough world slots on reserve to quickly start additional worlds). In other words, creating the export report costs us real money which is why we charge a KC fee for OAR operations on Stored Worlds and Premium Worlds (i.e. for the world types for which we aren't being paid a fixed-price per month that also covers such operations).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Ada Radius