Viewing Online Friends and Resident Count

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Serene Jewell

Re: Viewing Online Friends and Resident Count

Post by Serene Jewell »

I was reminded recently about Pocket Metaverse (for the Mac IOS only, I think) and Lumiya (for Android) as another way of "logging in" and being able to chat without actually firing up a viewer. There is also Radegast for a text only interface.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansChris Namaste
Luna Lunaria

Post by Luna Lunaria »

Strange that I can check the website of any grid I have an account on and see a list of my online friends - except Kitely. So this was turned off for whatever reasons, since it was part of the code originally open-sourced from Linden Labs.
These users thanked the author Luna Lunaria for the post:
Chris Namaste
VISIT LUNARIA EMPORIUM ON THE KITELY MARKET HERE: https://www.kitely.com/market?store=13957705
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Luna,

You can see the list of your friends who are online in your viewer when you are logged into our grid.

As an aside, Linden Lab open sourced the viewer, it never open sourced any part of their server. Kitely uses OpenSim for running its worlds, a server technology that was developed from scratch without including any code from the Second Life viewer. See: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/History
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Chris Namaste
Chris Namaste

Post by Chris Namaste »

congratz, for that ilan (how its devloppd),
personally, (or i donno yet where to find?) i wld love to see my friends online,as well
can we do that atm on website? i didnt find that yet :)
chris
Last edited by Chris Namaste on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Chris Namaste for the post:
Mike Lorrey
Chris CreationZ url kitely market : https://www.kitely.com/market?store=914 ... &sort=date
Because ultimately we are not the avatars we create. We are not the pictures on the film stock. We are the light that shines through.Jim Carrey
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Chris,

We've yet to implement the website feature that will enable you to see which of your connections are currently online.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Chris Namaste
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

It think this feature, which seems to be common on a lot of other grids, would be helpful to users. Part of opensim, like SL, is social, and social functionality should be a priority. Being able to see which of one's friends are online would be immensely helpful.
Also event planners could benefit from seeing when the most people are online on the grid. Thanks.
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post (total 2):
Chris NamasteMoonrise Azalee
Scurvy Ragu 2
Has thanked: 0

Post by Scurvy Ragu 2 »

Yes Mike this would be a great feature. Many of the other grids have it..Since we have to wait so long to get online here. Also if we had Discord that would be a great feature too
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Infinite Metaverse Alliance
http://infinitemetaverse.com/
is working on steps to reduce the viewer isolation of SceneGate. We hope to be able to connect text and voice to other locations like Discord and web-worlds. I will post an article soon about reinventing the viewer as the user's viewer--serving the interests of the user, not any particular grid.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Freda Frostbite
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Selby Evans wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:01 pm
Infinite Metaverse Alliance
http://infinitemetaverse.com/
is working on steps to reduce the viewer isolation of SceneGate. We hope to be able to connect text and voice to other locations like Discord and web-worlds. I will post an article soon about reinventing the viewer as the user's viewer--serving the interests of the user, not any particular grid.
Great, I already have opensim as a game plugged in with discord, having one kitely or viewer specific would be good. If you go to the discord site you can specify in your profile what games you play, opensim is there.