Viewing Online Friends and Resident Count

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Moonrise Azalee

Viewing Online Friends and Resident Count

Post by Moonrise Azalee »

I know that stability and smoothness in current features is paramount, however would it be a possibility in the future to be able to log into one's account from the kitely.com site, and once logged in to see friends online and possibly how many registered users are online?

I hate missing friends that come online and other than logging in multiple times and sending missed messages its hard to time well. I'd love to be able to log into the account from my cell or lappy for a quick check-in to see which friends are online.

Also I realize that the online users are kept private from the splash page but what about being able to see these from your account once logged in? I know neither of these things is super important but it would be really nice .

This is an option at the other OpenSim grids Im a member of as well as the bigger grids of course and it is kind of handy.
These users thanked the author Moonrise Azalee for the post (total 4):
Serene JewellIlan TochnerChris NamasteFreda Frostbite
Ilan Tochner

Re: Viewing Online Friends and Resident Count

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for the suggestion Moonrise. I can't promise this will be implemented but we'll consider if/how it can be added to our future release plans.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Serene JewellFreda Frostbite
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Moonrise, I don't understand the problem. In Firestorm, I can see my friends online when I open my people window and friends tab. The friends online are in bold print. I see friends online whether they are in Kitely or elsewhere in the Hypergrid. There is also a setting in Kitely that lets me get notifications when friends sign on.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post (total 2):
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

you can also log in to the webpage, from here up top left go to explore worlds and find their world (or their market store) and send a message to them by clicking their name, or a PM to the forums...

so you can trade IMs via that way with those inworld until you can log in...

afaik only Kitely and SL have the ability to IM from outworld..
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 2):
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Moonrise Azalee

Selby Evans wrote:Moonrise, I don't understand the problem. In Firestorm, I can see my friends online when I open my people window and friends tab. The friends online are in bold print. I see friends online whether they are in Kitely or elsewhere in the Hypergrid. There is also a setting in Kitely that lets me get notifications when friends sign on.
@Selby I mean by NOT having to log into the viewer. For example, IW, SL, OSGrid, GCG, (few others) - You log into the website with your account, where you can adjust your profile etc and can see a list of your online friends. I belong to quite a few grids, and rather than starting up the viewer to always check and see who is online, being able to quickly go to kitely.com and log in on phone or lappy etc to check would be great.

@Constance - Yes, that does work if they have a world, but the majority of my friends don't have worlds and in fact live on my 2x2 , though you still have to be logged in to reply. I have no complaints about the messaging system, and in fact no actual complaint at all. It would just be nice to log into Kitely and see Online users.

Also, related to that request is that Kitely doesn't show how many users are online from the splash page like most Grids do. I'm not sure what the reason is, if it is a privacy thing or what- either way, that is fine. But if one was logged into their account on the website, being able to see how many friends are on AND users online period, that would be a really nice touch. Sometimes if no friends are on, it seems like Kitely is totally empty. But then like at the meeting last Sunday, Ilan said there were actually 59 people inworld, I was so pleasantly surprised and it didn't seem so empty :)

Sidenote to something you say Selby, out of my whole list of friends, Only two non-kitely friends show in my list on the viewer if not on kitely. All the rest only show as online once they TP into Kitely grid. And messaging back and forth only seems to work once when they have left the grid - then it changes to a message error saying they are not online, even though I know they still are - that must be a bug of some sort however and not related to this website suggestion.
These users thanked the author Moonrise Azalee for the post (total 6):
Constance PeregrineSelby EvansSerene JewellOzwell WayfarerChris NamasteFreda Frostbite
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Moonrise,

We don't show how many people are currently inworld as most of them are usually in private worlds other people can't enter (or even find in our Explore Worlds page) without being authorized by their respective world managers. We rather people complain about not seeing stats than having them accuse us of showing inaccurate stats when they can't find the other people who are currently inworld in the worlds they themselves can enter. Please remember that there are over 10,400 Kitely worlds as of today, and that the great majority of them are private, so it is a lot more likely that someone is in a world you can't enter than them being in world you can.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Moonrise AzaleeSerene JewellFreda Frostbite
Moonrise Azalee

That makes sense Ilan. I just am used to seeing how many people are online a grid and to me gives an indication of how many people are actively enjoying Kitely at any time. Not because I want to go bug them :D
These users thanked the author Moonrise Azalee for the post (total 2):
Serene JewellChris Namaste
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

For the record, I would really like having that capability too. I understand the privacy concerns though. I also understand that we might not to advertise when the numbers are low. Still, I would love to know when people in my own friends' list are logged in without having to actually log in.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post:
Serene Jewell
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

OSgrid's website shows the total number of users in world and the number of hypergrid visitors as the first two numbers in the top right corner. Currently it's showing 44 users in world with 11 hypergrid visitors.

When you log into the website you gain an extra menu option: "My grid tools", under which is "Users in world". Clicking that opens up a list:
osgrid.org wrote:Below is a list of regions which have avatars present on them. Your friends will be listed by their avatar name; anyone you're not friends with will be listed as "[someone]" to protect their privacy. Click on a column header to sort the data by that column.
I admit to finding it a very useful tool when I had regions on OSgrid.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Moonrise AzaleeSerene JewellFreda Frostbite
Moonrise Azalee

@Dot - yes that was what I was referring to also. I can go to OSGrid's site and log in, and see if I have friends online without having to log in. Because I am a resident on a number of grids, logging into each one just to check to see if someone is online gets glunky (and maybe isn't best for my viewer) - I don't mind not being able to message people from offline - though I admit it is nice to do that on kitely - but I do use the 'whos online' at least daily for IW, OS and SL.

@Freda - I understand not wanting to advertise when we are low in numbers as well - though we are def not in the lowest batch of OpenSim grids as far as online users goes. However, that is why I thought it would be a feature that could maybe only be seen when we log into our accounts - along side online friends. (if that itself were an option)
These users thanked the author Moonrise Azalee for the post (total 3):
Serene JewellChris NamasteFreda Frostbite