New Welcome Center Beta Feedback Thread

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Ghaelen DLareh

Re: New Welcome Center Beta Feedback Thread

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

Very nice look to the new welcome center. I went twice - trying to remember what I didn't know when I didn't know it. ;) Love the mountains, the terrain, and the mosaics! Beautiful.

I LOVE the help board right next to the arrival point. All those friendly faces :) Inspires me to maybe sign up to try my hand at greeting.

If this is for Newbie Newbie's, I wonder if there should be something about how to move, just to get them to the area to change avie appearance or to 'help'. The starter pack is great, and, would a newbie newbie know how to 'buy' something free?

If this is for new arrivals to Kitely, it's pretty easy to see where the info and new avies are :)

I wonder if the signs on the brick bridges might be more clear if the contrast was higher - maybe just slightly more 'in your face' even if the beautiful stone cutting aesthetic is lost a bit. There's a lot to look at, even with the number of objects right there lowered quite a bit.

LOVE the auditorium area! I checked the camera angle of the sit, and it seems to work fine. It will be a great place to have plays, talks, discussions, and such.

I'd make the trees phantom. It gets irritating to keep getting caught in the branches, especially if I don't know where I'm going or if I'm late to the meeting.

I like the current barrels for meetings better than the new chairs, but I also like that the meeting area in the new center is closer to the link-in point. I don't have to check the minimap to see where everyone is.

I also like that you've kept the open air (Greek?) feel to the center. I've always liked that. I would like the day/night cycle, but I wouldn't ask anyone to change that.
These users thanked the author Ghaelen DLareh for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
A Curative Poison (a metaverse story)

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Thank you everyone for your wonderful feedback both publicly and privately! Some excellent points and some valuable changes will be made.

We are hoping to roll out the new Welcome Center at the beginning of August. In order to do this, some of the points that we do want to act on may have to be delayed to a later point. So please dont be offended if you arrive and we didnt act on something Ilan mentioned on page 3. I will get to it asap.

For example, the teleport board will require a bit of thought. I also want to eventually make more elegant versions of the info and greeter boards. Right now they are simple but functional. In time, I think I can add a bit more greek-style eye candy. But its the middle of summer, I didn't do anything with my store in months and these things take time. Though some have called me a wizard, sadly, I am not :).

But I consider this an ongoing project. So long as I am around I will continually make improvements (with Ilans prior consent, of course ;) ).

Thank you to all the Beta Testers! I hope you are all looking forward to the official opening :D
Last edited by Ozwell Wayfarer on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerConstance PeregrineSelby Evans
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Here's a quick question to beta testers (and all) about the showcase world boards. They need to work differently from how the current boards work.

What would be most useful to have happen when showcase world boards are clicked?

Options:
  1. Give a landmark to the world
  2. Open the Kitely website at the World's webpage
  3. Open the viewer inworld teleport map
  4. Give a notecard about the world, including an embedded landmark
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerSelby Evans
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

fwiw 1 & 4 work with Lumiya -- not sure about the other two.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixLorelei Seetan
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Dot Matrix wrote:Here's a quick question to beta testers (and all) about the showcase world boards. They need to work differently from how the current boards work.

What would be most useful to have happen when showcase world boards are clicked?

Options:
  1. Give a landmark to the world
  2. Open the Kitely website at the World's webpage
  3. Open the viewer inworld teleport map
  4. Give a notecard about the world, including an embedded landmark
I recommend
Give a notecard about the world, including an embedded landmark
That gives the further information about the world without inviting them to leave the KWC immediately.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Dot Matrix
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

So that's two votes so far for option 4, notecard with embedded landmark. Thanks, Graham and Selby!

I've tested this option out on one of the boards in the beta KWC, and it does seem to work nicely. Another advantage is that it requires just a very basic script.

One thing to be aware of when using landmarks in this context is that when someone clicks the "Map" button and the location is not on the SW region of a varregion, the map displays the world correctly but includes the error message "Invalid Location", and the Teleport button is greyed out. Might this give the wrong impression to newcomers to Kitely/OpenSim?

However, clicking on the map at the "Invalid Location" spot clears the error message and enables the Teleport button to be used as expected.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for your feedback. IMO an option that doesn't always work is not viable. This means that the notecard with embedded landmark option limits our choice of worlds to those that have the landing spot located in the SW region of the world.

I think it is important to keep teleports simple. A person clicking on a sign showing a world should be able to click just once more to initiate the teleport. Anything more complicated than that will result in many people not figuring out how to get to the desired world.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Selby Evans
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

I agree with Ilan. If you click a landmark and the map opens to say "invalid location" the natural assumption is to assume the world is gone or offline.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I think that perhaps option 2 would be nice.

Once the page is open they can see the person's description, see any photos they have, and keep the browser tab up if they want to go at another time (or bookmark it). If they want to go immediately they can simply click the enter world button which works nicely when inside the grid, but can have the option of using it when not logged in too, which is a nice feature.

afaik only SL has such a feature. Thus highlighting this piece of tech, as well as the actual page tech. Giving people a taste of what they can also do.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 3):
Dot MatrixIlan TochnerOzwell Wayfarer
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Thank you for your feedback. IMO an option that doesn't always work is not viable. This means that the notecard with embedded landmark option limits our choice of worlds to those that have the landing spot located in the SW region of the world.

I think it is important to keep teleports simple. A person clicking on a sign showing a world should be able to click just once more to initiate the teleport. Anything more complicated than that will result in many people not figuring out how to get to the desired world.
I agree with Ilan-- Use of the SW should be in the criteria for inclusion.

More reasons: Entering via the Kitely world page or from the HG takes you there.

I would add to the criteria:
If an area (2x2 or 4x4) has places of interest beyond the SW corner, it should have walkin TPs or other ways at the SW corner to direct people to those locations.

Extending that thinking a bit:
In Kitely, a request for TP often results in the failed/delay message. We can't avoid that with the Kitely business model, but we could give first option to places already online.

Links to live pages are already offered on the entry page. Those could be displayed again inworld. Perhaps with more space, more options could be added.

I would like to have that destination display inworld myself. I often use it now on entry to visit places of interest. Note that these places have people in them-- another benefit.