Chat range extension beyond 20m

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Moonrise Azalee

Re: Chat range extension beyond 20m

Post by Moonrise Azalee »

I'm one who is against it until the day comes where we have parcel/chat privacy. Having residential areas where any local chat from your neighbours is right there to distract you from whatever sorts of tender moments a person might be having with another is not wonderful. Sure, you might chat in local but anyone else might be blabbing about who knows what, and its just a distraction and kind of like 'noise pollution' in text.
An even bigger issue to me is on roleplay regions. Roleplaying a situation at the hospital while an argument is breaking out at the pub next door (and yes this has happened)
So until parcel privacy/chat is sorted out, I say leave as is and look at an option like Kurtis made. Any announcer can wear it or DJ and it solves the problem without it needing any radical changes from the inside.
These users thanked the author Moonrise Azalee for the post:
Don Smith
Nyza Stillwater

Post by Nyza Stillwater »

I'm also generally not in favor of changing 20m to 30m (though not strongly). In SL, I have a chat hud where I can change the text speech from 0 to 256m. There may be times I want it at 10m, 20m, 96m, you name it, I can have it at almost any distance I'd like. You simply type in the distance you want your chat to extend to. If someone could make something like that here, that would be great! Giving sim owners the power to change the range though I would be more supportive of. I just generally prefer to keep the accepted standard. I agree with basically what Moon has said too.
These users thanked the author Nyza Stillwater for the post:
Don Smith
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

As live performers, Seanchai Library is very much in favor of the extension also.
I understand some have privacy concerns, and have cited examples, I'm just curious if the examples cited occurred in Kitely or in SL? It seems privacy is one thing that is not in short supply in Kitely if one wants it.

Leaving the option to the SIM owner to configure, if easy to do, would seem like a great idea also.
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Don Smith
Kurtis Anatine

Post by Kurtis Anatine »

I've got a working area chatter and I'm working on a solo extender right now so this should be a way to solve the problem! Just give me a few days to finalise it all and problems should be solved!
These users thanked the author Kurtis Anatine for the post (total 5):
Ilan TochnerDot MatrixShandon LoringDon SmithMoonrise Azalee
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

As I commented at the meeting, enabling users to vary their chat range would be most useful. I can't remember the number of times I found 20 meters to be excessively long, and yes, 30 meters would be useful primarily for seminars and other meetings with lots of attendees, however there are a number of scripted devices that can be used for that with ranges of 35 meters or even sim-wide for such specialized applications. I think extending the range only because of some edge cases is a waste and could lead to more problems than they solve. When a new feature or feature change is considered, one must consider all the pros and the cons, not just for ourselves, but for everyone.
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post:
Don Smith
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Mike Lorrey wrote: I think extending the range only because of some edge cases is a waste and could lead to more problems than they solve.
I understand Mike's thoughts here, but I would bicker a bit with the comment of "some edge cases" by noting that a large amount of the activities we see in Kitely are live performers, hence negating the 'edge cases' concept.
(or heck, even the Sunday Community Meeting)

That said, a chatter repeater device (ala Kurtis) would probably meet the need, I know that kind of thing would certainly help us at shows to alert people to the "kitely kick" so they don't get booted before the end of the show! :-)
(we already use a Green Flash that goes off every 30 minutes during the performance to alert folks that they need to get up and do a jig or type in local chat or something)

And if it could be set by the sim owner as a parameter of the sim, that would be especially cool. then no additional script or device needed. especially necessary that we don't require our attendees to load up or wear a device.

AND... we must all keep in mind the load on Ilan and Oren our demi-gods and the time and energies they have to utilize where they best see fit.

Thank you Overseers!
Don Smith
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

Hi ALL!

I am very happy to see so many folks responding to this thread, both for and against. Please continue the discussions a little bit longer, through Friday sept 16th. I will then put together a Summery of pro's and con's for Ilan to consider before a final decision is made. Please also add an additional information or thoughts you might have on this subject, and again, I thank you all!

I am for extension to 30m

I am also working with Kurtis on options and how to present this new chat extending system to Kitely and the HG, so that many who need this can get it quickly.
These users thanked the author Don Smith for the post:
Shandon Loring
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

I always prefer the simple solution that is the least hassle for the most people. Most of opensim is used to the 20m limit. A groovy chat extender that a land owner could install and control would be preferable to breaking the established norm IMHO. You just never know how people are already utilizing the current standard. For example, if I were going to rent, I would automatically keep parcels at least 20m from each other so they have a chance to chat quasi privately. Who knows how many scripts have already been written with the established norm of 20m?

So I vote for extending the chat range with a good old fashioned chat repeater script in a box rather than a global grid change.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 5):
Shandon LoringIlan TochnerMike LorreyMoonrise AzaleeDon Smith
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Serene's explanation makes good sense to me!
Don Smith
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

Hi Everyone!

First: I want to say a Big THANK YOU, to everyone who has contributed information and expressed concerns involving chat extending options.

Secondly: I would like to summarize this discussion and present this summary to Ilan at Sunday's Community meeting, sept 18th.

SUMMARY: 1) Prior to now there hasn't been an effective way to extend chat.
2) Ilan is aware that there are many who would like this increase available.
3) Thanks to Kurtis Anatine and Myself < Don Smith >, There is now a Working Chat extending script system. Its in its final stage before release.
4) With the creation of a scripted system, which will be made FREE for anyone in kitely and placed on the Kitely Market for min values < for exporting >

It is my Opinion that: We give the new scripted chat system a chance to solve everyone's needs instead of a core chat extension at the server level.
We can readdress this with Ilan at a future time if the scripted chat extending system fails to solve enough of peoples needs.

I would like more comments on this Summery Opinion, before it is presented at Sundays community meeting, to be posted here Below. Please reply to this further with your thoughts on this Final Summary Opinion.

Again, THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed!
These users thanked the author Don Smith for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerShandon LoringDot Matrix