For a limited time only: get a huge 64-region Mega World running on a dedicated server for just $99.95/month

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Alexina Proctor

Re: For a limited time only: get a huge 64-region Mega World running on a dedicated server for just $99.95/month

Post by Alexina Proctor »

I started using them on Wellspring, Koshari. They appear to work fine. I was in the same situation as you. I upgraded to a Mega world and could not get the the standby area to be totally sand.

Koshari Mahana wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:04 pm
Thanks Dot, that's an idea. I've not used any of the mesh beaches before. Do they work well as far as walking into the water and swimming around?
Dot Matrix wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:50 pm
What if you made the beach areas using meshes? There are quite a few terrain meshes on the Market — and Ozwell Wayfarer even offers a set of free basic landform meshes that can easily be sized and retextured. Then soften/disguise any joins or boundaries with vegetation, e.g. marron grass.
These users thanked the author Alexina Proctor for the post (total 2):
Koshari MahanaChris Namaste
--Alexina Proctor
Co-founder with Prax Maryjasz of Sendalonde Community Library
Library: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Wellspring
https://virtualpeers.com/
Koshari Mahana

Re: For a limited time only: get a huge 64-region Mega World running on a dedicated server for just $99.95/month

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Oh, that's good to know Alexina, I should come and check them out. Thanks!
Alexina Proctor wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:25 pm
I started using them on Wellspring, Koshari. They appear to work fine. I was in the same situation as you. I upgraded to a Mega world and could not get the the standby area to be totally sand.
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post (total 2):
Alexina ProctorChris Namaste
VISIT FOUR WINDS ON THE MARKET
VISIT FOUR WINDS INWORLD: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Coopersville/909/907/21
Alexina Proctor

Post by Alexina Proctor »

They are near the NW side. Evergreen island uses mesh beaches too.
These users thanked the author Alexina Proctor for the post:
Koshari Mahana
--Alexina Proctor
Co-founder with Prax Maryjasz of Sendalonde Community Library
Library: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Wellspring
https://virtualpeers.com/
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Okay, I did it :) I've decided to keep the original 4x4 in the southwest and I'll just move the beach and sand area.
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post (total 6):
Ilan TochnerAlexina ProctorChris NamasteSelby EvansDot MatrixJohn Mela
VISIT FOUR WINDS ON THE MARKET
VISIT FOUR WINDS INWORLD: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Coopersville/909/907/21
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

You might have noticed that one of my worlds is called "Land Tiles" -- I'm working on RezMela-based apps that will allow the speedy creation of natural-looking prim and mesh based "land" for areas up to 2x2 regions at a time. Yes, Kitely's Mega World announcement has made this a priority -- all that empty ocean! -- but the apps will be handy for smaller worlds too.

I suspect it might be possible to adapt the system to create beaches to terraformed land.

Would anyone be interested in helping to test this idea? Which sand textures are preferred? How deep does the ocean need to be for sailing? How far out do the shallows need to extend, and how deep?
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
John MelaAlexina Proctor
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Dot Matrix wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:08 am
How deep does the ocean need to be for sailing?
My preferred depth for an ocean is 20m. That's deep enough to be "ocean" but still visible.

Below 20m and things turn DARK. I have seen some mer communities build up to 100m under the surface, but the viewer had to be placed on special settings to even see their work. (Was rather impressive though once one followed the viewer setup instructions.)

To enable sailing, the ocean only has to be deep enough to keep the physical ship bottom from dragging ground. I'd guess that 5m is plenty deep enough... but who wants a 5m deep ocean? Bleh.

So yea, most sailing oceans I've seen have been around 19-20m deep... with variations for underwater landscaping.
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post:
Dot Matrix
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~