Kitely welcome area: What does it need to include?

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Sierra Jakob

Re: Kitely welcome area: What does it need to include?

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Dot Macchi wrote:
Sierra Jakob wrote:Dot might be relieved that she's not expected to do it "all" and on her own. :) ...
To be honest, I can't -- I am not a builder. What I can do (and I hope that this is helpful at this stage) is try to facilitate conversation, sharing and working together, so that the final outcome builds on everyone's strengths, is coherent and fit-for-purpose, and something that people enjoy and can take pride in.
Thanks Dot :D You are doing a FABULOUS job of organizing these discussions. Thank you so much for all the good summaries and for branching off the evolving topics. I know it must be incredibly time consuming. Thank you, thank you.
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

still removing all evidence of dumbness on my part

awwf...I am so sorry also!!!! and thank you for such a kind response, truly...maybe I need to get on some good medications today....lol

Sorry, I tried to leave room in that comment for the possibility I misunderstood....all is fine, no worries, we can move on and I deeply apologize.

I know, we are all trying to help, but seriously, if ANYone is a "lowest man on the totem pole", it is certainly myself, at least that is how i perceive myself...lol-))
Last edited by Constance Peregrine on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sierra,

Good questions. We can't risk having the world's performance deteriorate over time. I think the fair thing to do would be to have gates to Featured Merchant worlds and/or signs that open their Kitely Market stores. Does that sound reasonable?

As for world size, there is an added resource usage cost to larger worlds but I think any world that is up to 9 regions in size would be fine as long as the build itself is optimized and doesn't include too many moving parts.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineSierra Jakob
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Sierra,

Good questions. We can't risk having the world's performance deteriorate over time. I think the fair thing to do would be to have gates to Featured Merchant worlds and/or signs that open their Kitely Market stores. Does that sound reasonable?

As for world size, there is an added resource usage cost to larger worlds but I think any world that is up to 9 regions in size would be fine as long as the build itself is optimized and doesn't include too many moving parts.
Yes, that sounds very reasonable and efficient. :D
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Constance Peregrine

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Sierra,

If a 9 mega would be ok, pls all, pls consider this....you could put paths out to other sections from the central core and it would all be so easy for new rez-ins....and it would be one-of-a-kind in grids, this I do know [tho with Dankos 26 grids he has me beat by 10 or so...grrrr]....

but pretty paths out to other useful areas would be quite pleasant-))...some birds along the way, biting alligators, such things.........

Ephemeral wanderer...
Constance Peregrine

and then Daniel does this just now...lol

http://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/2013 ... -to-visit/

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Time for another summary. This is based on some of the discussions at the mentors meeting of 7 August, and has just been confirmed by Ilan.
Ilan wrote:For the time being, the world can be called the Kitely Welcome Center, or KWC for short (the name can be changed at a later date). The KWC will be the recommended entry point for new users, replacing the Kitely Plaza.

Audience: people already familiar with SL and/or OpenSim-based grids

Kitely wants the KWC to help convert visitors to active users. That's the goal.

For ease of maintenance, the KWC will be a fixed world that doesn't include any content that wasn't added from the beginning. This means that any shops, activities etc. will be through scripted gates that show an image and maybe some text.

The KWC needs to remain family friendly. It can include obscured gates (no pictures) to more mature worlds.

Shops will remain on the Kitely Plaza.
Ilan clarified some of these elements via an email.

"Gates" are blamgates, i.e. objects that, when touched or passed through, teleport you to the destination. The idea is that those on the KWC will be to preselected showcase worlds, such as featured merchant shops, visually impressive worlds, big community centres, or a G-rated freebie shopping world.

Some of the destinations might be to skylevel builds within the KWC itself, provided these do not slow the rez-times for people entering the KWC. These themselves (or even separate worlds) might be teleport hubs to more worlds (with the caveat that this would require additional planning to see how it could be automated so that it will not require too much time for Kitely to manage).

The KWC itself should be visually impressive and contain the elements that are required to fulfill the desired goals (other than the sandbox).
These users thanked the author Dot Macchi for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Constance Peregrine

there is a gated system on another commercial grid i had [i was going to say owned, but that is not true even tho i bought it...lol]

but this gate used photos taken of the landing spot, that were then loaded into contents, and you could click on the gate and keep clicking as the photos showed, then tp to them...it had a kinda mystical foggy look to the photos also, very cool looking.

It somehow took the metadata info from the photo and by scripting used that as the tp destination. I bet someone here knows how this could be done.

It was simple to load and update...i loved it

sounds like it is coming together nicely...please keep in mind Sarge Misfit's offer to be of some assistance...at the very least have a look at his anti-grav road system-)) Yea, I am a fan of his but for very good reason.

and, again, I apologize to Sierra and the others here for my comment, feel free to delete it admin types...permission granted

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

On teleports/pictures, etc, take a photo, take a location, add to the teleport door/gate/etc design. I used a similar technique on the ones on my world. It's not difficult :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

On bots (again)...

People from SL may dislike NPCs since they remind them of empty machine logged on bots camping for 1L$ per month, but NPCs are different, even if they look the same. People coming from OTHER environments(ie, any game that has NPCs, pretty much everything) would be more disturbed by the LACK of NPCs. If used sparingly, they shouldn't freak out the haters, and should make everyone else feel like they aren't in a completely ghost empty town.
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Constance Peregrine
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.