Kitely welcome area: What does it need to include?

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Dot Macchi

Re: Kitely welcome area: What does it need to include?

Post by Dot Macchi »

Quite a few posts here have touched on the information needs of newcomers to Kitely, and how those needs might be met. In order to facilitate deeper and more detailed discussion of this particularly important aspect, I've set up a new thread: Kitely welcome area: What information? How to provide it?

Then this thread can continue to focus on the type of build and the areas within it.
These users thanked the author Dot Macchi for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerAllen PartridgeSierra Jakob
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

A couple of questions:
  1. Featured merchants are promised a free shop on the Plaza. Does the potential welcome area have implications for this offer? If so, what effect might it have on what goes on the welcome area? For example, does it mean that there need to be X number of shops in the welcome area? Or would the featured merchant shops stay on the Plaza?)
  2. The size of world is Kitely's call, since they would be funding its running costs etc. So...
    • Single region (which seems to be the preference of several people in this thread)?
    • 2x2 (as in the Plaza)?
    • 3x3 (as others have suggested)?
Rikku Cosplay

Post by Rikku Cosplay »

:|
Last edited by Rikku Cosplay on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rikku Cosplay

Post by Rikku Cosplay »

:|
Last edited by Rikku Cosplay on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

I want to suggest that someone should be assigned the role of a 6 month "manager" of the new Kitely Plaza. Not the main builder, but someone separate who should be in charge of inspecting all the elements on the new Kitely Plaza on a regular basis--to make sure that everything is to "code" so-to-speak. That is, to make sure everything is as Ilan has specified and to make sure that everything is working properly and put together with precision. I know from experience that most of us need a third party to inspect our work for details. We get so close to what we are doing that we often can't see the forest for the trees. lol

This person should be someone who can stick to the job--commit to it for the next 6 months. Someone we can count on to see every detail and make a good judgment about whether there is an issue that needs attention. It should also, of course, be someone who is experienced at this sort of thing, preferably...and someone who can organize others and call folks to the task in a way that's diplomatic--so we will all feel comfortable.

I would like to suggest that Dundridge Dreadlow is imminently qualified for this position. I have worked with Dundridge for many years now. He has done this sort of thing for multiple parties in the past. He is trustworthy, well liked by those with whom he works, and most importantly..... (drum roll please)..... he seems to be a bit obsessive compulsive! (I can say that because we are close friends. :D ) I count on Dundrige to find all the little errors in my new creations--that I would be horrified to have anyone else notice. His acute attention to detail is a godsend for any builder.

Dundridge would make an excellent overall coach/manager for the building process and he could be counted on to continue in that capacity for as long as needed.
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

ok, so now there are votes in for Dot and for DD to manage this...yippee!!

I vote for Ilan's wife!!! [or, alternatively, one or both of his twins]
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 2):
Sierra JakobIsis Starlight
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Ok, I've set up a model trying to demonstrate some of the ideas I was giving for a new Kitely Plaza. It's just a model demonstrating an one possible example of the general design concepts I was explaining. It's not complete. I just wanted to contribute something that could be used for talking points. To see it, go to the world called "A Welcome Plaza".
These users thanked the author Sierra Jakob for the post:
Isis Starlight
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Sierra Jakob wrote:Ok, I've set up a model trying to demonstrate some of the ideas I was giving for a new Kitely Plaza. It's just a model demonstrating an one possible example of the general design concepts I was explaining. It's not complete. I just wanted to contribute something that could be used for talking points. To see it, go to the world called "A Welcome Plaza".
Nice clean layout :)
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

A lot is said alrady on this topic - so I post here only some short thoughts from my side:

> less is more - don't try to put there too much, but what you put there should be high quality and very well set up
> don't bore people - there are myridas of places that don't stimulate people to stay as they have nothing unique, nothing to make me curious, nothing stunning
> reach them through all their senses: vision, sound, moving, interaction
> emphasize Kitely's unique propositions! - they are gorious .....but many newcomers don't realize that and never come back
> do more for people beyond the building and educating communities - not all interested in virtual worlds seek for that.... there are also people who seek social life, action, chat, fun, romance and this is probably the majority of virtual world users
> demonstrate/promote and develop some key features in the field of media - activity & animation - interactive play - team action - events : many people like to get engaged more actively but don't have ideas how (likely these features should be showcased off-site from the welcome center)

I like the idea of a megaregion with a well structured core as the welcome center .... the outer areas allowing planful organic growth - the outskirts dedicated to the various aspects of gorgious possibilities Kitely offers.
These users thanked the author Min Tigerpaw for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineKeith SelmesIsis Starlight
Isis Starlight

Post by Isis Starlight »

Sierra Jakob wrote:Ok, I've set up a model trying to demonstrate some of the ideas I was giving for a new Kitely Plaza. It's just a model demonstrating an one possible example of the general design concepts I was explaining. It's not complete. I just wanted to contribute something that could be used for talking points. To see it, go to the world called "A Welcome Plaza".
Very nice Sierra also it was very clean :)
hey one thing that troubles me is the NPC or bots if kitely was aiming for more experienced users I think many from SL would hate them as a complete turn off
my reasoning is the massive bots all over that annoy people all day in SL then some who find these fake people might even question if kitely is fake perhaps.