Kitely welcome area: What does it need to include?

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Ilan Tochner

Re: Kitely welcome area: What does it need to include?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sierra,

Rikku and and the Devokan people have things that can be classified as Elven (see: http://www.kitely.com/search?q=devokan). Rikku, for example, showed me a beautiful tree with a wooden face coming out of its trunk. It's hard for me to explain but I'm sure Dot can explain it colorfully.

I envision a place that business people would see as having interesting sculptures while the RP crowed would see as having fantasy elements.

I'd say you could call it a modern architecture build in a light-fantasy surrounding. With a colorful pub (or hangout place) thrown in somewhere that is accessible but doesn't change the general clean aesthetics of the place. A zen garden, everything has it's place (even the forest elements). Many open and landscaped areas, flowing water, with a few nooks. Stones, trees and bushes play a big part. As do the paths themselves. Its about the journey not just the destination. You want the person to explore the world and give other people time to arrive to greet them.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Dundridge DreadlowDot MacchiKeith Selmes
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

the Devokan world page stuff does look like a very closed off group though
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Buni Chuku
Has thanked: 0

Post by Buni Chuku »

Thanks Miney! I do have black skins .. read skins that reflect African heritage. That being said .... I'm not putting underoos on em and I object to being "Big Brother"'d to death. This is SUPPOSED to be a community of grown ups. They can learn to put on an underwear layer like their mama taught em. I say this because part of the fashion within the African American community IS wearing saggy pants (don't get me wrong, I hate it and have told more than one young brutha that I would gladly go into my limited bank account and buy him a belt) and I would truly hate to see Kitely become, even a little bit, closed to a rich (if slightly fashion blind) potential customer base (the bruthas ain't payin fo all that bling off welfare)
These users thanked the author Buni Chuku for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Dundridge Dreadlow wrote:the Devokan world page stuff does look like a very closed off group though
Sorry, what do you mean, Dundridge?

By the way, I'm not sure I'd describe "Devokan" style as elven. Fantasy with roots in reality, maybe.
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

I disagree, Buni. Everyone iSL is at least over 13, but in Kitely, some visitors are children, real children. This is the only commercial grid where that's possible and a big reason why I'm paying for the gold plan - baby wants a bigger world (though she won't officially be in here on her own until I can get her set up on her Nabi).

Adult and Mature and PG-13 stuff can go into our own sims, with the right ratings, and I am definitely in the camp that says anything goes in those areas. Play any consensual way you want to and I'll also fight for your right to do so.

But I think the welcome center should be G rated, just to get the kids in before their parents move them quickly to where they're going to go play, so that the educators who are trying to set up here don't have to worry about running afoul of their elementary, high school or college regulations, and so that businesspeople can develop professional workspaces and invite colleagues, employees and customers without potential embarrassment or legal issues.

Any of my skins available in a G rated sim are gonna have underwear.
Ada
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerDot Macchi
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I just reread the tos here and it says under 13 must have adult supervision...I dont know what defines "adult supervision" nowadays, but in the good 'ol days that meant parents are responsible for what their children do. So if they are looking at clothing or a skin or whatever, on the net, then I would, as a parent, simply insure it is whatever I think is correct for my own child...'course I would add that is until they leave the home they are my responsibility, but I think that has changed, also...lol

In any case, I suppose if Buni wishes to add underwear, and you folx want an ethnic skin of hers to use...then all will be good in the Meta.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Buni Chuku

Post by Buni Chuku »

Well. then I guess ya'll on your own. My kids are 9, 14 and 16 and I monitor their online activity. That's why they've never been on SL. Frankly .... pubes are the LEAST ya'll should be worrying about but ....

Consider the offer rescinded. No harm. No diggity.

OK just caught Miney's post. My kids are supervised ... so no biggie and again .... a pubic line in this day and age ... LEAST of your problems. I would be worrying about what nasty things they can get into CLOTHED.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Dot,

Devokan as a whole isn't Elven but I think http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Kat ... ah-Village includes some elements that can be classified as Elven. I was trying to give Sierra an example of an Elven forest, not classify the Devokan Trust :-)

In any case, my vision, which may be improved upon, would be for something which is a zen garden i.e. mostly outdoors and has status/points of interest that convey some idea that may be relevant to some people and just pretty to others. However, unlike the Kitely Plaza that is a collection of themed areas, this would have a few buildings that use modern museum architecture (big and spacious - possibly no roof) with most of the area being outdoors in winding paths meticulously organized around the landscape (with art / genre elements as status strategically placed on the path to convey some vibe to the traveler). A place you could take an afternoon and stroll in with information centers near the entrance and a social attraction somewhere away from the entrance (greeters could linger/TP from the pub but other people won't crowd new comers possibly scaring people away before they get their bearings).

Wood, leaves, stone, water allowing easy asset reuse. Points of interest may use other assets but their placement would be such that viewers wouldn't need to download more than a few of them at any given point in time thus allowing quick rez times.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Dot Macchi
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Buni,

Kitely attracts quite a few educators which, even when teaching at the university level (i.e. people who are over 18) still need to comply with their organization's rules of conduct. This means that some people won't be able to use Kitely if the default avatars they get can be used in ways that can get their organization sued for enabling sexual harassment. The default skin doesn't need to be naked for adults to be able to have adult activities, people can simply go to an inworld shop (or a Kitely Market store) and pick up all the things they want. However, by having the default skin be family friendly we're keeping the door open to a lot more people who want to use Kitely and can't do so if our defaults are R-rated.

As for supervision, our terms of service require parents (or some other authorized party) to open the account for and monitor the usage of any child under 13 years of age. This means that parents are required to make sure that if they bring their kids to Kitely that they protect their children from activities that aren't appropriate for their age.

In other words, our intention isn't to act as big brother bur rather to enable more people to use Kitely, without excluding people who want to use Kitely for adult activities from doing so in Adult-rated worlds.
Buni Chuku

Post by Buni Chuku »

Seriously? What school allows their students to run around naked? But its all good.