Kitely welcome area: What does it need to include?

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Constance Peregrine

Re: Kitely welcome area: What does it need to include?

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I recalled that they did a nice and quick review of their welcome regions @ 3rd Rock grid that I had mentioned someplace or other here as a good model for how well it can be designed in some regards.

I know you all have all sorts of different concepts and such, and some very good ideas, this shows how simple can be useful, and reduced or repeated same ones textures a lot to help with initial login.

Linda Kellie was the overall designer of this when she was on their management team for a bit of time.

The Welcome area is where one lands, then they can follow a bridge to the signs with various instructional things...the Designer's Showcase is for freebies, and the Mall, which only incidentally showed my own little office there, lol, is on an adjacent region with free shops offered and a non-rent rental box you can click whenever you drop in to show your still around [but at least monthly].

This did not show that over one of the bridges is an area of full avatars to be gotten easily...tinies and all sorts of kinds.

This is all on 3 regions which of course Kitely can do much better, and, as well, they do not allow OARs, so Kitely can actually showcase much more awesomeness than they can...such as the foliage and such in which they used primarily linden plants. [tho some of those are actually pretty decent and also a good idea to use, but more sparingly]

It does not use, of course, megas, which I really, really think is a very key difference with Kitely than all other commercial grids, and something which folx out in the free opensim grids use often, but which should, at all possible, be shown in Kitely, for how cool it is for other commercial grid folx, but also how stable it is for free opensim folx.

Just as an additional use for any thoughts you all wish to see with it. Please return to your regularly scheduled "own interests in all dis stuffs"...

These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Dot Macchi
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Thanks, Minethere. That is a helpful example.
Constance Peregrine

<(+_+)>Ťhє plєaşurє is ムlwayş ოinє<(+_+)>

Ephemeral wanderer...
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Minethere Always wrote:ok, so now there are votes in for Dot and for DD to manage this...yippee!!

I vote for Ilan's wife!!! [or, alternatively, one or both of his twins]
Mine, really this is not a "vote" for anyone--we probably are not anywhere near time for that, I hope. I'm pointing out my friend's strengths--Dot might be relieved that she's not expected to do it "all" and on her own. :) It may be a relief to know we have among us someone who could be counted on to look at all the minute details every day when needed, as this can be a very tedious job for most of us. Breaking up the roles into more doable chunks may be helpful. For example, when I read the suggestion for Dot, I thought it was that Dot would make a good lead builder. When I explained what Dundridge would be strong at, I was talking about a site manger-which is a very different kind of role. I suspect there is room on this project for lots of folks to contribute. Perhaps it's good to get out there what types of things we each enjoy, so we can each think about where we would like to contribute and where we may be needed, when the time comes. :)
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Allen Partridge wrote:Great summary Dot. Wow, what an impressive example of evolving group conversation - it makes me really wish I could go through and like individual elements listed in the summary. Mostly I really respect so many great opinions and solid reasons. Should make for a very interesting conversation / next steps.
This is a great idea, Allen. I wonder if there is a way to do it within the forums somehow.
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Constance Peregrine

edited to remove my own stupid comments....why some things get in my stupid head I will never know...must have something to do with being human, i guess.

eta: Personally, I think a Roman-style Triumvirate would be cool.
Last edited by Constance Peregrine on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Sierra Jakob wrote: I wonder if there is a way to do it within the forums somehow.
One way might be to set up a thread with each separate element having its own post. Then the inidividual posts could be "liked" (and the original poster would gain an enviable total of "likes", so it might not be fair!)

Another way, if polls are enabled, is to have a separate thread for each main element, with the options for that element as poll items. Then users can vote for the version they like best. This would be fairer in terms of the "likes" poster explosion, but it would involve tweaking the forum settings (so extra work for Ilan and Oren). It could also clutter the forum because of the number of threads that would be required.
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Sierra Jakob wrote:Dot might be relieved that she's not expected to do it "all" and on her own. :) ...
To be honest, I can't -- I am not a builder. What I can do (and I hope that this is helpful at this stage) is try to facilitate conversation, sharing and working together, so that the final outcome builds on everyone's strengths, is coherent and fit-for-purpose, and something that people enjoy and can take pride in.
These users thanked the author Dot Macchi for the post:
Sierra Jakob
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Dot Macchi wrote:A couple of questions:
  1. Featured merchants are promised a free shop on the Plaza. Does the potential welcome area have implications for this offer? If so, what effect might it have on what goes on the welcome area? For example, does it mean that there need to be X number of shops in the welcome area? Or would the featured merchant shops stay on the Plaza?)
  2. The size of world is Kitely's call, since they would be funding its running costs etc. So...
    • Single region (which seems to be the preference of several people in this thread)?
    • 2x2 (as in the Plaza)?
    • 3x3 (as others have suggested)?
On the one hand, I would love to see Featured Merchants Shops at the Welcome Center--but on the other hand, that is bound to mean many more textures and potential lag. Perhaps a prominent well labeled teleport to a separate world of "Featured Merchants Shops" would be the way to go?
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Last edited by Sierra Jakob on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.