Weefolk category at the KM listings?

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Snoots Dwagon

Re: Weefolk category at the KM listings?

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Ada Radius wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:40 pm
OK, but now you is confuxing me. When I first arrived at Weefolk, you told me my little cat avatar was too big to live there. Now I've built lil critter I know is little enough. But. How big is too big? How little is little enough?
When you first visited you were a full-size avatar in cat-form (ie, a "cat-person"). Full-size avatars aren't weefolk. Now you are weefolk. : )

Before mesh was introduced on SL, the smallest avatars I saw were the pixies... who specialized in shrinking their full avatars as small as possible while still maintaining "cute" proportions. They managed near the size of half an avatar (a bit over waist-high)... but still weren't "tinies" (which were considerably smaller).

As I said it's difficult to provide a precise size, because weefolk sizes differ. But in general weefolk are shorter than "normal avatar" waist-high. That not a rule set in concrete and as with most concepts, there are exceptions. I gave an example earlier of a snake; a 30-foot long snake crawling along the ground wouldn't be considered weefolk despite the fact it's only knee-high. Spiders generally aren't weefolk; the concept just doesn't match. The concept of "cute overload" runs very common among weefolk (cute having a broad definition).

I think to most folks, what is wee/tiny/dinkie will be apparent. If they're not small, they're not wee.

Or as one sign stated on a tiny-specific ride: "You must be this short to ride this attraction." :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 3):
Alexina ProctorAda RadiusDoc Doolittle
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
melinda lucy
Has thanked: 0

Re: Weefolk category at the KM listings?

Post by melinda lucy »

Ada Radius wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:02 pm
I don't think the current attributes are adequate for weefolk. I think they're annoying for people looking for weefolk avatars, furniture, boats, houses, clothing and accessories, and annoying for normal sized av genres who find themselves directed to stuff for weefolk.

Example: "Normal" sized furries will be quite annoyed at being directed to a listing that turns out to be for what they'll see as a Tiny. I know, Furries are easily annoyed, and make distinctions that even I don't get. For example, only someone not from the Furry culture thinks that my cat avatar is a Furry. Go figure, but we don't get to judge tastes and distinctions. Hanging out in some of the more squirrelly worlds, as I have even briefly, is how to find out these things, some of which I wish I didn't know. One of the things I really really like about the emerging Weefolk community in Kitely, is the explicitly stated refusal to discriminate between genres. Hoping for more immigrants from SL and Inworldz, and I think if we build it they will come.

Even with a Weefolk attribute, I'll have to do some explaining in my descriptions as to how my Wee avatars are different than Tinies, Dinkies or any of the other wee genres - each can be quite different, structurally, which makes a big difference in the kinds of animations, and mesh attachments needed. There are furniture and boat makers already working out how to accommodate the differences. Clubs already have separate dance balls for Wynx-type Tinies (folded vs resized armature). My avatars, along with Dinkies and a few others, use the normal animations fine, and that may be the trend, but we don't know that yet.

As I work out the armature and mesh issues, I find myself with at least three distinct types of Weefolk in my pipeline - human, furry and chibi. So I'd be combining attributes: Weefolk + human, Weefolk + furry (ya I know, but it'll work OK), Weefolk + anime.
3d boat pictures are awesome